What's with the weather in Tahiti?

SB_Travlr

DH and I are off in a month for our dream vacation to FP, with land stay then a cruise on the Windstar. We'll stay at the IC Beachcomber in Papeete for a couple of nights before going to Taha'a.

I found the Beachcomber web site, which has a web cam for when I need a diversion from work ;) <http://tahiti.intercontinental.com> -- it has a camera trained on the lovely horizon pool, and (I assume) Moorea beyond. The last couple of days, sky is grey and threatening and it looks like it's raining... The hotel forecast never changes from sunny and 82, LOL!

So I googled Tahiti forecast, found the Meridien site with a link for weather <http://www.lemeridien.com/french_polynesia/tahiti/weather_pf1656.shtml>. All the days shown vary only between heavy rain and showers. :eek:

So Tahiti experts, are you having some unusual weather? Or normal spring storms? We expect that we might have SOME rain, but not 5 days in a row! Anyone there this week with an update?

So Tahiti experts, are you having some unusual weather? Or normal spring storms? We expect that we might have SOME rain, but not 5 days in a row! Anyone there this week with an update?

I'm hardly an expert, but did cruise the Tahiti/Marquesas itinerary on the Tahitian Princess this past March. We did have a little rain and mostly overcast days, but it was the rainy season after all.

Toto2Kansas is over there right now. You might ask her when she returns in a few days. She can often be found over on the "Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal" thread on the Princess Rollcalls Board. Here is a link that should deliver you to that thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44867&page=55&pp=25

Just happened upon this and saw my name mentioned. We returned two days ago from our Tahitian Princess Cruise and I must say we had some god awful weather for October. It rained every day I can remember and some days were with little and NO sunshine at all. Very strange for October as the rainy season doesn't usually start until sometime in November.

Thankfully we had been there several times before and could 'look through the raindrops' and remember the beauty of these prestine Islands. I did feel sorry for those that were on their first visit and without the sunshine, it just isn't the same.

It wasn't just the rain that made it bad but we had terrible winds and very high seas.

Hopefully the rainy season is not starting early this year but with the weather acting crazy everywhere, who knows.

We returned to Kansas and it was actually warmer at our home that it was most of the time in Tahiti. Now that is something you just don't see this time of year.

To kill time on the last day we spent the afternoon at the Beachcomber and I must say that it is a lovely property. We had spent two days pre-cruise at the Sheraton..........................now that was one of the biggest mistakes we made. Very boring with little to do. :( You picked the right hotel for your stay, you will love the Beachcomber I am sure.

Very strange indeed!

Toto, thanks for the update. What a shame for all those folks on board for whom this was a once-in-a-lifetime trip (I might be one of those, too!) :(

We don't get much info about South Pacific weather here in CT, but you have to wonder what is going on. :confused: Cyclone season like the FL hurricane season here, maybe?

We're looking forward to the Beachcomber, and Taha'a. Well, and the cruise also, in fact, all of it... I try not to let the weather faze me unduly -- after all, there's not one thing I can do about it! So maybe I'll tuck a rainjacket and sweatshirt into my luggage, and have enough books not to worry. Then be ready for whatever comes, and hoping for some wonderful sunny days (last couple of days on the webcam looked much better.)

Great attitude-no matter what the weather you can have a wonderful time-we just returned from the 10-14 and I was surprised by the bad weather evryday we kept saying tomorrow will be better. Anyway we did have some occasional sunshine-and dont let the clouds fool you we are super tan and had a great time. I love taking pictures and can only imagine how much better they would have turned out if the days were more clear-I guess I will just have to go back.

Lucky, you have the right idea. A return trip during a different time of year is definitely in order. We have had both good weather and bad on our visits, about half and half and I have to tell you that the difference is like day and night between the two. Thankfully we met so many wonderful people while on board from the cruise critic site that it was still worth while for us. Weather might stop you from enjoying the sunshine, but it sometimes brings cruise friends closer together as they have more time to just sit and chat. :)

I just also looked at the web cam and it seems they are having a bit of nicer weather heading in the opposite direction. Let's just hope that it holds out for them as I know of one newlywed couple that we sailed with that is still onboard and they really deserve another shot at some sunshine.

Can anyone tell me what is considered the rainy season there? not that you can predict, I know. I just got back from Panama Canal in their rainy season and we had perfect weather.

This trip is really in my site and I'm just trying to do my research. from those of you who have done Cook Islands vs. the other route (can't recall names!) can you tell a little about the differences and your preferences?

Thanks

mary beth

It really is a toss of the coin for weather in French Polynesia. First time we were there was the first week in November, absolutely beautiful the entire time. Second and third time was again in November, second November visit, beautiful weather, third totally miserable the entire time with torential rains. Forth time was in February, and again, beautiful weather. This last time in October, terrible weather. So no matter when the rainy season is, you just never know the hand mother nature will deal you.

Archived