Southampton Parking

Hi,, we are driving all the way down from Scotland to Southampton for our cruise on the RCI Independence of the Seas, sailing on 4/10/08.

We are now beginning to look into the parking situation, and would look for recommendations from fellow cruisers regarding this.

Open to suggestions, from either hotel parking, or a specific company.

Also, what to do when you arrive at the docks? Do 'they' (whoever 'they' are!) come and take your car away for you, or do you have to park up, like at airports, and take a shuttle bus to the docks?

Any info would be very useful,

Regards,

Judi and Kenny

First option is to explore Cruise and Passenger Services (http://www.candps.com/). The big advantage of this company is they operate at the terminals at Southampton docks: you drive up, unload your bags and give them to the porters, give the car keys to CPS, and that's it: you just saunter into the terminal and check in.

If they're booked up, I don't know! - I've used CPS the twice I've cruised from/to Southampton. I think almost everybody does, in fact.

Another option is to book a long-distance coach via the cruise line, of course, but from Scotland (Dundee, methinks?) that will be a very long and probably uncomfortable journey. I should contact CPS asap.

We're on Oceana on 22nd September and have plumped for CPS - with a 10 month old in tow I am more than happy to pay a small premium to save the hassle!

I think there is a more conventional airport-style park and ride facility available, can't remember the name by its worth Googling.

That said, given that one of the joys of cruising is not having a luggage allowance, you may end with as much luggage as us!:D

We are going on Independence this weekend and have booked the parking at the port with abparking.co.uk. The RCCL ships don't use CPS. We used abparking last year and it was very easy, we dropped our luggage, parked the car and had about a 2 minute walk to the check in. There was probably a shuttle bus but we were so close it wasn't worth using it.

I know the Holiday Inn does a park and stay package, we are staying there next week after the cruise but all the parking was already booked.

Julie

We always use whatever the dockside parking company that operates with the ship and we generally find this no hassle. We travelled with NCL three weeks back and got free parking from the deal we got. A nice touch and the first time in years of cruising that we have ever benefited from this! I know some friends of ours have had some some good deals from local hotels in the past and this might be worth your checking out as you are obviously travelling a long way to the port. The only other resort is if you have friends in the vicinity who have a spare parking space. We've also used this option in the past with Hampshire colleagues! Good friends and all for the price of a bottle of good vino!! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived