Question for Acey and Sapper1 about dulse

Here in Hawaii we eat alot of seaweed either raw or dried and your dulse maybe something of interest to me. I have several questions.

1. Is it only avaliable in the City Market (Slocum & Ferris)? Do they give out samples?

2. Can it be brought back to the ship and will it pass customs when returning to the U.S?

3. Does it stink like some dried seaweed tend to be? If so I wouldn't want it to stink up my luggage. Do the vender sell it in air tight bottles or plastic bag because I've only seen photos of it being sold in plain paper bags.

Thanks

We will be in Saint John on Oct 2nd.

Here in Hawaii we eat alot of seaweed either raw or dried and your dulse maybe something of interest to me. I have several questions.

1. Is it only avaliable in the City Market (Slocum & Ferris)? Do they give out samples?

2. Can it be brought back to the ship and will it pass customs when returning to the U.S?

3. Does it stink like some dried seaweed tend to be? If so I wouldn't want it to stink up my luggage. Do the vender sell it in air tight bottles or plastic bag because I've only seen photos of it being sold in plain paper bags.

Thanks

We will be in Saint John on Oct 2nd.

The city market is the only place I'm aware that sells it. Barbour's General Store historic attraction at St. Andrew's Park (you'll pass by it) gives out samples, however it is currently closed for construction, but I think it should be reopened for October. Slocum and Ferris will also provide you with a sample.

Some health food stores in the USA import dulse from Canada, so I think you probably could also - but I don't know for sure so the best thing would to call US Customs for information at 1-877-770-5990 (they may only know it by it's proper name "Palmaria Palmata".

Dulse does have a unique smell, but I would not say it's a stinky smell. Most is sold in paper bags but the vendors will have plastic bags similar to grocery store veggie bags to put it in.

The city market is the only place I'm aware that sells it. Barbour's General Store historic attraction at St. Andrew's Park (you'll pass by it) gives out samples, however it is currently closed for construction, but I think it should be reopened for October. Slocum and Ferris will also provide you with a sample.

Some health food stores in the USA import dulse from Canada, so I think you probably could also - but I don't know for sure so the best thing would to call US Customs for information at 1-877-770-5990 (they may only know it by it's proper name "Palmaria Palmata".

Dulse does have a unique smell, but I would not say it's a stinky smell. Most is sold in paper bags but the vendors will have plastic bags similar to grocery store veggie bags to put it in.

I often buy it in Sobeys Grocery Stores and it is sealed in plastic bags there. There is a Sobeys at Lansdowne Place and one at McAllister Mall. If you are worried about funny looks at customs, the packages at Sobeys are labled as dulse and a product of New Brunswick.

Last Saturday there was a lady dressed in colonial costume giving out free samples in the city market.

Archived