Restaurants in Portland, ME: Anything besides Seafood?

Leo Jay

Got NO responses on the New England board, so I'm taking a chance here:

I can eat regular fish, but I'm allergic to shellfish and prefer not to eat in seafood restaurants, since even the smell bothers me. Can anyone recommend any good non-seafood restaurants (of whatever cuisine) in Portland? Thanks.

Got NO responses on the New England board, so I'm taking a chance here:

I can eat regular fish, but I'm allergic to shellfish and prefer not to eat in seafood restaurants, since even the smell bothers me. Can anyone recommend any good non-seafood restaurants (of whatever cuisine) in Portland? Thanks.

Hi Leo Jay

I have a site with phone numbers and addys. I have been to Beal street Bqq.. But knowing you are wanting to stay away from seafood. I got a link here http://www.foodinportland.com/search.html

I hope on there you can find something..

There is a good resturant but they serve Lobster, shellfish steaks... Is De'Milos. Gl on your cruise.

There are lots of places if you look - plenty in the Old Port as well as numerous ones out by the Maine Mall. In the Old Port some suggestions are RiRa's (Irish food) on Commercial St. right next to cruise ship pier. Also Flatbread Pizza same building. Further down the street is 3$ Dewey's - pub style food. Up one block on Fore Street are Gritty McDuff's and Angie's - both pub style food. Amato's up on India Street is take out sandwich shop. Want to eat where the locals do? Try Mark's Hot Dog cart at Middle and Exchange Streets (he's been serving the locals for many years now). O'Naturals is an upscale sandwich shop on Middle St. And there's always Becky's Diner (Nothing Finah then Becky's Dinah) way up on Commercial St. Also Amigo's (Mexican) right off of Commercial. Lots more - too many to list

Hi Leo Jay

I have a site with phone numbers and addys. I have been to Beal street Bqq.. But knowing you are wanting to stay away from seafood. I got a link here http://www.foodinportland.com/search.html

I hope on there you can find something..

There is a good resturant but they serve Lobster, shellfish steaks... Is De'Milos. Gl on your cruise.

Thanks. What was Beal Street BBQ like? It's fine for me if a restaurant serves seafood, I just prefer one that has a healthy menu of non-seafood as well. An overwhelming shellfish smell is not my favorite, but I don't think I'd actually get sick from it.

We like Bugaboo Creek in South Portland, close to the Maine Mall.
Was just in the area for some training in May and we did lunch at Bull Feeney's. I liked it...fun atmosphere too. Yummy sweet potato fries. :D

Thanks for the recommendations.

Thanks. What was Beal Street BBQ like? It's fine for me if a restaurant serves seafood, I just prefer one that has a healthy menu of non-seafood as well. An overwhelming shellfish smell is not my favorite, but I don't think I'd actually get sick from it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Beale St. BBQ (www.mainebbq.com) is located in South Portland, across the Casco Bay Drawbridge. They have awesome bbq sandwiches, plates and platters as well as other meal choices. When my step-daughter visits from MD, first dinner out is always at Beale St.

Didn't go in to much detail on all those places on my earlier post also as I don't know what type of food you would be interested in. The places I listed are where lots of locals go vs the touristy "fishy" sites. My personal favorite place in Portland for lunch is Espo's on Congress St. Super fresh Italian food, large portions and decent prices. (www.espostrattoria.com)

Beale St. BBQ (www.mainebbq.com) is located in South Portland, across the Casco Bay Drawbridge. They have awesome bbq sandwiches, plates and platters as well as other meal choices. When my step-daughter visits from MD, first dinner out is always at Beale St.

Didn't go in to much detail on all those places on my earlier post also as I don't know what type of food you would be interested in. The places I listed are where lots of locals go vs the touristy "fishy" sites. My personal favorite place in Portland for lunch is Espo's on Congress St. Super fresh Italian food, large portions and decent prices. (www.espostrattoria.com)

Great, thanks a lot. Looking forward to sampling some food from places that are off the beaten path.

There are lots of places if you look - plenty in the Old Port as well as numerous ones out by the Maine Mall. In the Old Port some suggestions are RiRa's (Irish food) on Commercial St. right next to cruise ship pier. Also Flatbread Pizza same building. Further down the street is 3$ Dewey's - pub style food. Up one block on Fore Street are Gritty McDuff's and Angie's - both pub style food. Amato's up on India Street is take out sandwich shop. Want to eat where the locals do? Try Mark's Hot Dog cart at Middle and Exchange Streets (he's been serving the locals for many years now). O'Naturals is an upscale sandwich shop on Middle St. And there's always Becky's Diner (Nothing Finah then Becky's Dinah) way up on Commercial St. Also Amigo's (Mexican) right off of Commercial. Lots more - too many to list

Becky's Diner has the best breakfast I have ever had. And they just expanded!

I would stick to the old port area for food. There is a lot of stuff out by the mall, but it tends to be chain restaurants instead of the local flair you'll get in the old port. Portland has more restaurants per capita than any place I've ever seen. Awesome dining for everyone.

One more I'd add - there was a little place (I forget which street) called Rosie's where I used to get the best bbq shark tips and Reubens. Not sure if it's still there.

One more I'd add - there was a little place (I forget which street) called Rosie's where I used to get the best bbq shark tips and Reubens. Not sure if it's still there.

Rosie's is still on Fore Street, near the Custom House Bldg at Boothby Square - one of my favorite places to go on a cruise ship day as no one knows it's there (until now of course - thanks for giving away the secret - lol)

Rosie's is still on Fore Street, near the Custom House Bldg at Boothby Square - one of my favorite places to go on a cruise ship day as no one knows it's there (until now of course - thanks for giving away the secret - lol)

Oops... my apologies. Like I was saying... head out to the mall and go to Chilis.:D

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Forgot Pom opened a new restaurant in the "Art's District". I'm closest to their original South Portland location and LOVE how fresh everything they serve is. You found a terrific place to eat! Hope you had fun in town - if you were here today (9/20) you had terrific weather!

WOW! Forgot Pom opened a new restaurant in the "Art's District". I'm closest to their original South Portland location and LOVE how fresh everything they serve is. You found a terrific place to eat! Hope you had fun in town - if you were here today (9/20) you had terrific weather!

We were actually there last... Monday, the 15th, but it was beautiful that day too. Great day altogether: lovely weather, friendly people, charming shops, great meal, free wi-fi at the Hilton, my friend got her Starbucks fix in two different locations, and I got some fantastic bargains at the L.L. Bean outlet!

:D

Archived