New to HAL

Terpnut

Usually, I'd do a search, but it hasn't been working for a few days! We've cruised mostly on Royal Caribbean and have cruised Carnival and Princess too, but never with HAL. Now we're considering a B2B on msNoordam for next summer and I have a few questions:

1. How do the kids programs compare? Doesn't seem like there's as much for our kids to do.

2. With RCI, I generally book directly and later transfer the booking to my TA. Can I do that with HAL too?

3. Why are the 10-day Noordam itineraries SO much cheaper than comparable RCI itineraries on Brilliance OTS or Legend OTS? Isn't Noordam one of the newest and best HAL ships? What am I missing?

4. Does HAL have a comparable frequent cruiser program to RCI's C&A program?

5. Overall, what does this RCI cruiser need to understand before sailing HAL? What obvious things will I not get, and conversely, what makes HAL uniquely better than RCI?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I can take a couple of these:

HAL has the Mariners Society, which you are a member of as soon as you complete one HAL cruise. As of now that doesn't get you much. There are some cruises every year that have a special "Mariners'" price, but that can usually be bettered by a TA.

Mariners also get invited to a cocktail party or brunch. And you get a nice delft tile.

That's it for now, although there are rumors that something better is in our future.

5. ... what makes HAL uniquely better than RCI?

The traditional atmosphere. HAL is brass and glass, fresh flowers, cloth towels in the public restrooms. It's artwork everywhere. It's a quiet, refined setting in which you can hold a conversation or read a book. It's sit back, and relax. There's never pressure to go-go-go.

There are good programs for children if you sail during times when children are not in school. Also if you have a port-intensive cruise, most passengers will be off the ship during this time, so the programs lessen some.

There are good programs for children if you sail during times when children are not in school. Also if you have a port-intensive cruise, most passengers will be off the ship during this time, so the programs lessen some.
As we will be traveling next June/July while all the kids (including ours) are out of school, are the HAL kids' programs able to handle the crowds? We've travelled on RCI and Carnival during holiday periods, and while the kids programs are busy, they weren't overwhelmed and the kids had fun. So I'm not worried about it being busy season for kids--I'm more concerned about whether HAL doesn't handle it as well as other lines or whether there are special situations for Europe itineraries that I should be aware of.

A couple other questions:

1. Noordam's Cat VF verandah staterooms are less expensive because they have a "solid steel verandah railing". Does anyone know what that means? Is that a floor-to-waist solid rail so the view is more obstructed?

2. As we will be booking adjoining or connecting verandah staterooms, can the verandah separators be opened or removed?

Usually, I'd do a search, but it hasn't been working for a few days! We've cruised mostly on Royal Caribbean and have cruised Carnival and Princess too, but never with HAL. Now we're considering a B2B on msNoordam for next summer and I have a few questions:

1. How do the kids programs compare? Doesn't seem like there's as much for our kids to do.

2. With RCI, I generally book directly and later transfer the booking to my TA. Can I do that with HAL too?

3. Why are the 10-day Noordam itineraries SO much cheaper than comparable RCI itineraries on Brilliance OTS or Legend OTS? Isn't Noordam one of the newest and best HAL ships? What am I missing?

5. Overall, what does this RCI cruiser need to understand before sailing HAL? What obvious things will I not get, and conversely, what makes HAL uniquely better than RCI?

We are new to HAL, just got a e-mail from our TA with a good price and doing a 14day second cruise with them in January. Had a great time on the Ryndam, elegant but not snobbish and a wonderful mix of passengers who's ages were irrelavant to us. We have been on quite a few cruises so really did not know what to expect, our biggest surprise, :) people were not in bed early, the piano bar was still roaring at around 1130-midnight. You will never never know, if you never never go! Enjoy we did!:) :)

Archived