Oberoi Philae...Where is the ship?

murphysmum

Hello...

Does anyone know what has happened to the Oberoi Philae?

Two years ago I booked a cruise directly through the Oberoi site as well as a few days at the Mena House.

I'm trying to book for 2009 and everything is showing up "unavailable". It seems impossible that the ship could be booked every single day for an entire year as it's callendar is showing.

I'm aware that Oberoi has a new ship, but I like the look of the old ship better and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

The only thing I've been able to find is a cruise/tour through Maupintours using the Philae, but most of the hotel choices/itinerary are not appealing.

If anyone knows what's happened with the ship, I'd love some information.

Thanks.

murphysmum;)

Hi Murphsymom,

I have been looking at tours to Egypt for 2009 and liked the looks of Maupintours itinerary and hotels. I noticed that you mentioned you did not like those items. Never having been to Egypt I am open to any suggestions and wonder why you did like the hotels or itinerary? What would you suggest as an alternative and what hotels do you like? I would love any suggestions or help that you can offer.

Thanks,

micked10

Hello...

Does anyone know what has happened to the Oberoi Philae?

Two years ago I booked a cruise directly through the Oberoi site as well as a few days at the Mena House.

I'm trying to book for 2009 and everything is showing up "unavailable". It seems impossible that the ship could be booked every single day for an entire year as it's callendar is showing.

I'm aware that Oberoi has a new ship, but I like the look of the old ship better and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

The only thing I've been able to find is a cruise/tour through Maupintours using the Philae, but most of the hotel choices/itinerary are not appealing.

If anyone knows what's happened with the ship, I'd love some information.

Thanks.

murphysmum;)

Hi there!

It may be that even though the calendar is showing up, the "availability" isn't actually there yet. I just recently had the same issue as I was trying to book hotel rooms in Japan for a 2009 trip -- only to find most hotels don't open up for bookings until a couple of months in advance. I certainly haven't heard anything about the Philae. If you do find out anything, let us know!

Hello...(This has been cut and pasted from "river tours" because I'm getting more responses here...sorry if repetitive)I'm also answering Cynthia's thread.

Micked: Re: Maupintours choice of hotels, you asked which ones I would prefer. Generally I like their tour fairly well as far as itinerary....and I love the Oberoi Philae. I think their choice of Mena House with pyramid views in Giza is a great one...IF they mean in the Palace...not a distant view from the pool area. I've stayed there and I would really clarify what they're offering.

I don't usually use tour groups, but rather plan individual tours so I'm not sure if Maupintours is considered luxury, moderate, budget???, but it was the choices of Conrad Cairo and Concorde El Salam in Cairo that I didn't like. I have to say first that I really don't like chain hotels and I REALLY like hotels to reflect the culture of the country that I'm in, whether it be a luxury hotel or B&B. The Conrad is a huge square box with little Egyptian charm; the Concorde looks like a huge convention hotel with Motel 6 interiors (This is based on observations from Trip Advisor...I wouldn't have stayed there.) If I wanted to stay in a chain hotel in Cairo, I'd stay at the Marriott, which appears to be quite lovely (I've been there for dinner and admired the atmosphere.) I prefer the Four Season's Residence (actually in Giza, but right across the river from Cairo and with great access to all sights).

I'm planning on going to Petra after our trip, so I didn't really want the Alexandria part that Maupintours put in the middle of their tour, but if I did go to Alexandria I wouldn't stay at the hotel they listed...It's another square box and there are beautiful hotels in Alexandria.

To sum it up, I think their itinerary is excellent and their hotel choice is questionable. Since you've only got three nights in average hotels, the time at the Mena House and on the Philae may compensate. I didn't really look to see what the price of the tour was.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Hambaglhle...Thanks for the tip on Balesworldwide...I will check with them.

Cynthia....You may be right about the site not being ready to take reservations, but the last time I booked directly with the Philae I did it about a year out. I booked the hotels at the same time in order to be able to reserve certain rooms at the Mena and the Old Cataract. I going to dig into old files and send an email to the Oberoi hotel site (easy to find) as well as directly to the Oberoi Philae website (not so easy). I will let you know what I find out. We'll put the trip off until 2010 if everything is truly booked up.

Warmest regards to everyone....murphysmum (Janed)

Hi!

See answer under "River Cruises". I found your question. No, you're not dumb. I've only figured out how to paste my own before a final posting. After that, it doesn't work for me either....I'm not a computer genius either, but I do love them for planning trips...

Best,

murphysmum (Janed);)

Hello...

Cynthia...You asked for me to let you know when I'd heard from Oberoi. After contacting them directly to ask what dates they had available during Jan or Feb of 2009, I received an email giving me one choice of dates.

I also found that by Googling Oberoi Philae and cruises that there are many tour groups now using the Philae, which likely explains their lack of availability.

The last time we went, I organized the entire trip myself, in order to have choice of hotels in Cairo, Giza, Aswan and Luxor. It is a bit of a hassle. There is a post under River Cruises by Riverroads suggesting a tour by International Expeditions which includes Petra. I'm thinking of booking one of their tours, tolerating the Hyatt for one night and saving myself a lot of hassle. I'd like to fly into Cairo a few days early, before the actual tour, as there were a lot of places we missed last time due to lack of time.

Micked...You asked when we're going. I was originally planning for January of 2009. I'm attempting to mesh our plans with plans of friends; because of this, we may wait until late 2009 and do something else in January. IF we wait until late in 2009 I may just plan the entire trip myself instead of using the tour group as I'd love a couple of extra days in Aswan and Luxor. Both towns really appealed to me.

Are you two planning on going back soon?

Very best,

murphysmum;) (Janed)

Hello...

Cynthia...You asked for me to let you know when I'd heard from Oberoi. After contacting them directly to ask what dates they had available during Jan or Feb of 2009, I received an email giving me one choice of dates.

I also found that by Googling Oberoi Philae and cruises that there are many tour groups now using the Philae, which likely explains their lack of availability.

The last time we went, I organized the entire trip myself, in order to have choice of hotels in Cairo, Giza, Aswan and Luxor. It is a bit of a hassle. There is a post under River Cruises by Riverroads suggesting a tour by International Expeditions which includes Petra. I'm thinking of booking one of their tours, tolerating the Hyatt for one night and saving myself a lot of hassle. I'd like to fly into Cairo a few days early, before the actual tour, as there were a lot of places we missed last time due to lack of time.

Micked...You asked when we're going. I was originally planning for January of 2009. I'm attempting to mesh our plans with plans of friends; because of this, we may wait until late 2009 and do something else in January. IF we wait until late in 2009 I may just plan the entire trip myself instead of using the tour group as I'd love a couple of extra days in Aswan and Luxor. Both towns really appealed to me.

Are you two planning on going back soon?

Very best,

murphysmum;) (Janed)

Glad to hear that the Philae is in good shape and sailing. Once you get bitten by the Egypt bug, one always is planning one's next trip! However, I've got Rome in November and Japan next June with my son, so it will have to wait another year or so....

Hi Janed,

We have never been to Egypt and it is something I have always wanted to do. We have done a lot of travelling in our retirement, but my husband has never been too excited about going to Egypt. I think that I finally convinced him that it is a trip of a lifetime.

We are committed to renting a house in Florida for Jan. Feb and March of 2009 so our trip to Egypt will either be in late Oct. and early Nov. of 2009 ( which I prefer) or in 2010. I will let you know what we decide to do. Still waiting for the 2009 Maupintour book to come out. I did look at International Expeditions and liked that also.

Thanks for your help.

micked10

Archived