Help with shore stuff

wkelly5688

Hi. DW and I are doing the Western Carribean on Pearl in December. Rotan, Belize, Cozumel and the private island. It is our first cruise.

She wants to do a dolphin encounter at one of the ports and I want to do Myan ruins somewhere. We also thought we would try the parasailing thing at some point. Any help on where to do or more importantly not to do any of these excursions? Where do you get the good value for your dollar? We have been looking at the NCL offerings.

One other thing. If we fly to Miami a day early, any recommendations on hotels and how to get from the airport to the hotel and then the ship?

Thanks in advance

Bill and Diane

We did the dolphin encounter in Roatan. Absolutely beautiful setting at Anthony's Key Resort. We spent probably an hour or so in waist-deep water with the dolphins. It wasn't a "swim with the dolphins" experience -- which was what we wanted, as my DH doesn't swim. Here's a picture of one of the dolphins: 1355470095060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

As far as Mayan ruins, Belize is your best bet. There are several options there. We've been to both Altun Ha and Lamanai. We enjoyed both of them. Altun Ha was a much shorter excursion, while Lamanai took pretty well the whole day. To get to Lamanai, you ride a bus to the river, board a boat, and go by boat to Lamanai -- which is part of the fun. Here's an example of the ruins at Lamanai:

1355476002060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

Hi. DW and I are doing the Western Carribean on Pearl in December. Rotan, Belize, Cozumel and the private island. It is our first cruise.

She wants to do a dolphin encounter at one of the ports and I want to do Myan ruins somewhere. We also thought we would try the parasailing thing at some point. Any help on where to do or more importantly not to do any of these excursions? Where do you get the good value for your dollar? We have been looking at the NCL offerings.

One other thing. If we fly to Miami a day early, any recommendations on hotels and how to get from the airport to the hotel and then the ship?

Thanks in advance

Bill and Diane

We are doing the tour to Tulum from Cozumel in October off of the Pearl. I also did this tour in 1974. Tulum is a wonderful place but it takes a while to get there. I don't have any pictures to post as that trip was so long ago. I haven't been to the ruins from Belize so I can't compare them.

We are going into Miami a day early and staying at the downtown Hilton. Supposed to be a $5.00 cab ride to the port according to the concierge. Haven't made airport to hotel plans yet, but will try to find a SuperShuttle as they are generally cheaper than cabs.

Archived