Family friendly activities in Cozumel and GC

luvmyjewels

Dh and I are taking our 3 little angels ;-) on their frist cruise (they will be 4, 6 and 8 at the time we cruise in December). We are also taking my mother along for her first cruise as well.

We'll be sailing on Carnival's Inspiration which docks in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I've been lurking on those boards trying to get ideas on which excursions would be best for the entire family, but thought I would ask the question here.

The kids love the beach and swimming, and it looks like both ports have lots of options. I'm considering the dolphin swim at Chankanaab Park (Cozumel). Has anyone else done this with kids around the ages mine are? How is the beach at Chankanaab?

I would like to do a stingray excursion in Grand Cayman, but I think I may be the only person in our group that wants to. What are other good options in GC?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Shell

My family cruised to Cozumel last week, and our group included my 2 grandkids (19 months and 9 months). We opted to go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel as it satisfied both the grownups and the kids. Very reasonable, very clean, not crowded at all - and one of the best days we spent on our cruise. Some friends of mine on the same cruise did the dolphin encounter (her kids are 8, 10, and 11) and they said they had a blast...and that it was their best day spent on the cruise!

Did not go to Grand Cayman, so can't help you there.....I'd say either Paradise Beach for a lazy and fun day, or the dolphin encounter for a very unique adventure. I don't think you will go wrong in either case! Happy cruising!!

Cozumel was our son's favorite port. We did not buy the excursion through the ship, as there are so many trustworthy and professional tour operators that are at the ports and is much cheaper.We ended up going on a snorkeling excursion, and had time for a meal and shopping as well.

We loved Cozumel so much we returned for a 2 week vacay 2 months later !

I doubt you can go wrong with Chanukaab Park, it is well run, nice, lots to do for all ages!

The dolphin swim has an age limit- they have to be 8 years old, so my DH and I took turns and swam with the dolphins separately. Chanukaub Park is great, if your 8 y/o wants to to do the swim, the others can play in the massive pool, there are exhibits and a snorkeling beach. They also have a replica of the Ruins, that is a beautiful walk full of fauna and flora. We did go to the other authentic Ruins in the area, but it is probably not much fun for the 4 y/o.

These are just some of the things we did during our 2 week return to Cozumel...

We went to Mr. Sancho's for horseback/ATV riding on the beach.

Our favorite place was Punta Sur- a gorgeous well maintained ECO park. We took a taxi to the entrance, from there a safari truck takes you on a guided tour, then you arrive at the most pristine, white sand beach with calm waters and great snorkeling.

Grand Caymen was a bit of a disappointment, I shopped, and met son and Husband at the beach later. I wish we had done the sting ray excursion. Maybe check out Trip Advisor for more ideas for GC.

Have a wonderful cruise !!! : )

We went to Chankaanab Park in Cozumel last year on our cruise -- we had a large group (family) from 11 months all the way to 79 years old...

IMHO -- if some members of your party want to do the dolphin swim Chankaanab park is a great option for everyone. Be sure to book in advance through the park itself -- not the ship-- because it give you more time with the dolphins in a smaller group. Members in our group did the royal swim -- and video (you can haggle the price) and pictures are awesome! There are beach ammenities as well as a pool available -- and there is a bar and food, too. We were able to secure a VAN CAB to transport our entire party (13) together -- and if you have reservations at Chankanaub they will pay for your taxi ride there. For those not doing the dolphin swim it was around $12 per person admission -- I think the babies were free. When you are ready to leave, they will call another cab for you -- there were actually several options waiting there -- so there was no wait.

We all had a very nice day.

However, all that being said, if some members of my family were not doing the dolphin swim I would probably choose a different option. The beach is very rocky -- all parts even the area that is wadding for children. Everyone will definately need watershoes. The sand is very gritty -- not soft and powdery -- and some skill is needed to reach the actual water in most parts due to the rocky terrain. Shade is limited. The seniors in the group had trouble getting comfortable because all the shady areas were taken ... and sat in full sun for a large part of the time.

Now, I am not saying that Chankanaub wasn't a nice place -- and we all agreed it was definately worth it for the dolphin swim (which everyone enjoyed watching etc) -- but with seniors and kids -- if you aren't doing the DS -- I would look for another beach option.

Here are some pics: The first is of the "childrens" beach, the second shows the rockiness (take water shoes!) and the last is the dolphin swim pic.

47b8df36b3127cce98548dd0925300000026102AcsmTVu2bsS

47b8df36b3127cce98548db9130a00000026102AcsmTVu2bsS

47b8df39b3127cce985481939d8b00000026102AcsmTVu2bsS

We did Grand Caymen before we had children. We did Capt. Marvin's Stingray City -- it was a great experience and we had a blast. The office is very close (walking distance) to the pier -- and very well organized. However, there is a boat ride to the area -- and the day we went the water was pretty choppy. I personally would feel pretty nervous with the younger children (if its even an option to take them?) -- but since you are the only one really interested, maybe you could go while the rest of the family does a beach day? :) It really was pretty cool!

I second Paradise beach. We just got back from the Inspiration yesterday, unfortunately Grand Cayman got cancelled due to Gustov but Cozumel we went to Paradise beach and it was wonderful. We have a 3 yr old and she loved the beach. The older kids were having a blast on the water toys, climbing thing, trampolines, rafts etc.

Last time we were in Grand Cayman, we went to Sea Grape Beach/ Calico Jacks. That is alos a nice family friendly beach.

Good luck,

Julie

I second Paradise beach. We just got back from the Inspiration yesterday, unfortunately Grand Cayman got cancelled due to Gustov but Cozumel we went to Paradise beach and it was wonderful. We have a 3 yr old and she loved the beach. The older kids were having a blast on the water toys, climbing thing, trampolines, rafts etc.

Last time we were in Grand Cayman, we went to Sea Grape Beach/ Calico Jacks. That is also a nice family friendly beach.

Have fun,

Julie

Archived