New England in Hurricane season?

DaveC426913

We were on one of the Canada cruises at the tail end of Hurricane Ivan. The biggest problem we had was our own stupidity. We decided to fly the shuttle from DCA to LGA the day of the cruise. Our 11:00 flight didn't leave DCA until 1:30 pm and when we got to LGA our bags were on the next shuttle and had to wait. Because Ivan was passing over NYC, there were very few taxis available and the lines to get the few that were coming were incredibly long. We finally got our bags and luckily we got a "fast" taxi driver and made it to the port at 3:55 pm -- 5 minutes prior to leaving. As luck would have it, the ship was held at port until 6:00 to accommodate passengers that were still at LGA waiting for the Carnival buses. Now we always fly in a day ahead!!! I don't recall the seas being extremely rough after the hurricane though, and we followed it up the coast. I wouldn't hesitate to book it because by the time the hurricanes get to that area they are usually just a little wind and a lot of rain.

I wouldn't hesitate to book it because by the time the hurricanes get to that area they are usually just a little wind and a lot of rain.
But what if we're there when the hurricane is there?

Or do you mean they're mostly spent by the time they reach NY?

But what if we're there when the hurricane is there?

Or do you mean they're mostly spent by the time they reach NY?

By the time most hurricanes get here, they are remnants (tropical depression, or just a low pressure rain event). Occasionally, one does make it this far north, but that is very rare.

We caught the tail end of a hurricane in 2001 and couldn't get into Sydney Nova Scotia due to the high winds. There were no other effects on that cruise.

As others have said, hurricanes in the northeast are very rare. Halifax has had 3 hurricanes in the last 45 years, with Juan in 2003, the eye of which went right up Halifax Harbour, being the most recent.

It's not something I would be concerned about. If you are not already in NYC when a hurricane hits, you won't be getting there, and the ship won't be there either. And hurricanes don't just pop up out of nowhere, so there will be advance warning and itinerary changes to avoid them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I'm worried about disaster. I was more concerned about wind, rain and overcast conditions which would more put a damper on the vacation.

We went on a NE cruise in March and it was completely overcast. Was wondering what kind of weather we might expect.

My wife and I were on a Princess cruise to Canada/NE Sept 2004. Hurricane Ivan chased into our port call of Newport RI.....actually I should say chased and caught us! It was exciting to say the least but no serious problems. Guess it couldn't have been to bad-we leave on the Caribbean Princess Sept 14th for.....you guessed it....Canada/NE. I am packing rain gear this time!!!

Archived