Questions on buying cartouches and clothing in Egypt

Scrapchick

My Mother and I are going on a land/river cruise in two weeks. We have 3 days in Cairo, then a week on a boat (King Tut III).

I would love to buy a cartouche and possibly an ankh pendant while there. We do get a trip to the Khal-il-Khalili bazaar on the last night in Cairo.

Questions..

1. Am I better off buying the cartouche in Cairo, or will there be opportunities on the boat trip? If I buy in Cairo, is the Bazaar a good place to do this or is the hotel a safer option? Is buying it on the last night there going to work time wise?? We will not come back to Cairo and will fly straight home from Luxor once the boat trip ends.

2. Are longish bermuda shorts okay to wear in Egypt??? I don't want to attract too much unwanted attention from the locals...

Thanks!

1. Am I better off buying the cartouche in Cairo, or will there be opportunities on the boat trip? If I buy in Cairo, is the Bazaar a good place to do this or is the hotel a safer option? Is buying it on the last night there going to work time wise?? We will not come back to Cairo and will fly straight home from Luxor once the boat trip ends.

2. Are longish bermuda shorts okay to wear in Egypt??? I don't want to attract too much unwanted attention from the locals...

1. The bazaar is quite bizarre. :D If you're good at negotiating, the bazaar is a great place to buy. Be prepared to be hassled every step of the way by aggressive vendors. You can get some great deals there is you can negotiate well. We couldn't but had someone with us who was good at it and enjoyed the game. The hotel would be safer, definitely. I think if you find something you want, don't wait. There may not be the same goods on the boat trip so I'd buy it when you see it.

2. I think the bermudas would be fine. If you're planning on visiting a mosque, however, don't wear them.

My Mother and I are going on a land/river cruise in two weeks. We have 3 days in Cairo, then a week on a boat (King Tut III).

I would love to buy a cartouche and possibly an ankh pendant while there. We do get a trip to the Khal-il-Khalili bazaar on the last night in Cairo.

Questions..

Thanks!

Mine were bought in Luxor(you can see them making them at http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418. Your guide will know the place its right behind the police station next to the fair trade store.

I would think anything that covers your knees are fine....

If you want a gold cartouche I would recommend waiting until you reach Luxor as the prices are cheaper there for gold. If you are getting silver, I don't think there is as much difference in pricing and I suggest that you just buy something if you see it and like it. If you tell your guide what you are looking for, he/she will be happy to tell you the best place to buy......at his uncle's shop, of course...;)

Do not feel bad about bargaining even in a nice jewelry store. It is expected and it's part of the fun.

Shopping in Egypt is fun. A cartouche is a good souvenir. Don't make any really major jewelry purchases, though.

A good cartouche usually takes at least one day to personalize and deliver. There is normally a small shop on the ship that can do it for you, but you lose something of the fun! I know your guide will be able to recommend a good place at some point during the cruise and you might as well take his advice.

The shop on the ship can also do polo shirts and things with your name in heiroglyphics nicely embroidered and that is fun too.

But the most fun we had was buying our galabyas for the party on the ship. Renée got hers in the Spice Bazaar, and I got mine in the "guantlet" of shops outside a temple. We bargained hard and I still don't really know what we wound up paying! ;) But it was a barrel of fun.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/egyptmain.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived