Deck 3L on QM2?

Chuck & Phyllis

Looking at the deck plans, it's a little confusing. On the Deck 2 plan, up forward, behind the stage of Cunard Connections, is listed Deck 3L for the stairs and elevators. What's up there? Also towards the aft on the Deck 2 plan, on each side of the Britannia restaurant, there's stairs leading to "Images" on one side and "Gallery" on the other. What's that all about? And then there's the G32 area on the Deck 2 plan, but on the Deck 3 plan, it states that access to the Queens Room and G32 is from Deck 3L. Is there a secret deck built into the QM2? Why couldn't they just show a Deck 3L plan. Do all elevators stop at deck 3L? Is it difficult to find the way? Do we have to walk thru the restaurant to get to deck 3L? Past cruisers, please fill us in?

Oh and another question if anyone knows. We will be visiting San Juan, St Kitt, and St Maarten. Will we have to tender at any of these ports? We've been to San Juan and figure they'll dock, but what about the others? We're sailing the 4/2/05 to the Caribbean.

Thanks

3L is what I always referred to as 3 Lower. The 3d deck at one point has you go down 1/2 flight of stairs, and for a small section, you're a bit lower than the rest of the deck. That's where the photo gallery is. After this small section, you go back up 1/2 flight of stairs, and now you're back on the same level as the rest of deck 3. It really isn't that confusing once you're there. It will make sense!!

As for tendering, I only know about St. Maarten, which did have tender service.

I hope this all helps!

The 3 L thing is a bit confusing, but it's a Carnival thing you will get used to. If you want to go to the disco or Queen's Room, wander back to the dining room. Turn your choice of left or right and head toward outside of ship. YOu will find a little elevator and stairs down. At the bottom continue aft. YOu are going around the dining room. On the other end will be another stair/elevator to get you back on track to your destination. There is a similar thing to go forward to the conference rooms and lower computer rooms.

Now for tendering, I'll find out about St. Maarten in a week or so. In February, on trip #2, we tendered in San Juan. The pier that Carnival gave PR big bucks to fix up was done, but the dredging had not been done so we could pull up to it. St. Kitts will also tender.

Many of the public rooms on deck 2 and 3 take the whole width of the ship. For example the Britannia Restaurant and Theatre. The problem is how you get past these rooms to get to others. For example the Queens Room or Illuminations.

Decks 2 and 3 together are the height of three normal ship decks. This makes the public rooms very grand. It also allows passageways between decks 2 and 3 through the restaurant and past the theatre. These corridors are called deck 3L, I would call them deck 2 1/2. Deck 3L is not a proper deck it is just passageways that connect the public room.

It is difficult to explain or show on deck plan but does work when you are on the ship. Some passengers take a couple of days to find the Queens Room though.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

At least when you attend the Gala Cocktail Reception in QR you will find it an easy walk to the Britannia Dining Room if this is your category; one just goes down the long corridor. It just takes getting used to. Carry a deck plan with you when going to the QR, G32 and Planetarium.

I was told we are tendering in Saint Maarten for the November 6th Caribbean Sailing. We only dock at one of 5 islands. We tender at St. Thomas and St. Lucia. We dock at either Barbados or Martinique – I forget which one.

I doubt QM2 would dock at St. Kitts.

Thanks, Stephen, we emailed you. Thanks all for the replies. So everything is on deck 3, but in order to get past rooms that take the entire width of the ship, Deck 3L is a passageway around them with the photo gallery and some meeting rooms actually in the passageways. Close to a right perception?

In February, on trip #2, we docked in BOTH Barbados and Martinique. For Martinique, they made a full 360 and backed her into the pier in the morning. Not the downtown one, but one to the right from the sea side looking into port.

Winchester - so there are two docks in Martinique? Which one do you prefer and what werer your impressions of the island and its people? You mention Sailing #2; where you on QM2 in January also? Todd English was still no extra chage on your sailings then. Did you dine there?

Archived