What is Dominica known for??

scarlet4897

• 1 month later...

everyone talks about the baskets, but the coolest thing i have from my last trip is the woven bottle. they take a wine shaped bottle and weave around it. the one i got is so tight there is no play when you try to squish it. totally cool. i found it in the craft market near the pier. i also got 2 baskets on the trip - at a little road side stand. the guy there was the artist. the one that became my sewing basket is probably close to 10" in diameter. i was hesitating on buying it until he showed me that you could basically fold it in half and stuff it into a suitcase. the bottle was maybe $10 (i'd regretted not getting one for over 5 years - more than worth it), the big basket with a little basket that would be good for jewelry or potpourri was $20-25 for both.

another island treasure are the masks carved out of knotted fern roots.

to see....nature. herbs and spices growing on the side of the road - lemon grass, laurel (bay leaf), nutmeg, etc. find a cashew tree - but don't eat the nut, i think they are poison until roasted. 365 rivers. the only carib indians still in the islands. champagne reef. the amazingly twisty roads that they call 2 lane.

this place is amazing - but you have to get away from the port.

cabrits has a national park area, and depending how much time you have, i think the caribe indian territory is nearby. there may also be black sand beaches up that way. it has been years since i studied the guide book on dominica. i do remember being sad we couldn't get up that far.

everyone talks about the baskets, but the coolest thing i have from my last trip is the woven bottle. they take a wine shaped bottle and weave around it. the one i got is so tight there is no play when you try to squish it. totally cool. i found it in the craft market near the pier. i also got 2 baskets on the trip - at a little road side stand. the guy there was the artist. the one that became my sewing basket is probably close to 10" in diameter. i was hesitating on buying it until he showed me that you could basically fold it in half and stuff it into a suitcase. the bottle was maybe $10 (i'd regretted not getting one for over 5 years - more than worth it), the big basket with a little basket that would be good for jewelry or potpourri was $20-25 for both.

another island treasure are the masks carved out of knotted fern roots.

to see....nature. herbs and spices growing on the side of the road - lemon grass, laurel (bay leaf), nutmeg, etc. find a cashew tree - but don't eat the nut, i think they are poison until roasted. 365 rivers. the only carib indians still in the islands. champagne reef. the amazingly twisty roads that they call 2 lane.

this place is amazing - but you have to get away from the port.

No problems with getting the baskets through customs? In August we were in St. Martin's and my DSIL bought a basket (green) and they were not allowed to bring it into the US because of a type of bug (mite???). Jan

the dominican baskets are multiple colors of brown, not green (if that makes a difference). if i remember right something about using fire to brown the bamboo strips. the green basket may have also been showing signs of a blight or rust.

i put them into my suitcases, and sent them through ag inspection. no problems found. i didn't declare them. never thought to. but since they were dry, i don't know that it is a problem. (the basket maintain flexibility for a long time...a year later, still flexy)

i have brought fresh flower bouquets back from cruises before (ones that can't be hidden). they look at them, and send them through. i know that if there are critters on them they'd take them, and i make it clear that it is fine if they need to, but i think i've brought them back 3 times.

there are no guarantees, but i haven't had problems, neither have the others talking about the baskets. i'd never want to bring in little critters....i see the damage being done to our plants and trees and it is very sad.

Archived