Just back from Majesty 9/6 - Philly to Bermuda

KatWag

I'll do a full review after I get through some of this laundry (and the emails piled up at work), but I learned so much from other posters and just wanted to post some initial impressions right away.

We left Philly with Hanna coming up the East Coast (our outdoor sailaway party got rained out and we even had to check in onboard rather than in the terminal building - it leaks) and the seas were a bit rough on the way to Bermuda. The captain called them "confused seas". We spoke to a number of folks who were seasick. On the way back, the sea looked like a bathtub - very smooth all the way home.

Bottom line: we really loved this ship. The reviews we had read before leaving, raving about the staff, were dead on. You could not find a more friendly staff or a group more eager to do whatever they could to make your trip as perfect as possible. Everywhere we went we were greeted with a smile.

It is an older and smaller ship. But we usually prefer the smaller ships. Everything was so easily accessible. When we met folks at breakfast or lunch, it was nice to run into them again around the ship later. And everyone we spoke to found their own "special spots" onboard. For DH and me, it was the Royal Observatory and the Coffee Bar. We watched the ship sail through the cut at St. Georges from the Observatory - great view. And the comfy seats at the coffee bar made a great reading spot. Mary Grace, the server there, was a joy - always a smile and a friendly greeting. And we loved some of the fancy coffees they served there.

The staff seem to work very hard keeping the ship in really good shape - when we were walking off at Bermuda the first day, there were already three crew members painting the side. That was within about half an hour of arrival.

Bermuda was amazing, of course. Very hot and humid while we were there. The owner of the perfumery told us he thought it might have been the hottest few days they had all summer. We bought our bus/ferry passes the first day and went all over for the three days we were ashore.

The worst part of the trip? Getting off the ship yesterday morning was totally depressing. I'm always a little down when a cruise ends. But usually, if you've really enjoyed a ship, you leave knowing you can book her again. In this case, with Majesty being sold, and our vacation schedule, we won't have that option . :(

I'll check in periodically to answer any questions. And I'll try to get the review done by the end of the week.

But for anyone sailing Majesty in the next few weeks - you've made a great choice of ship and you are in for a real treat. DH and I wish we were going again.

Thanks for sharing & I look forward to your full review. I'm happy you had a good time & enjoyed the ship...as did we on the New Year's Eve sailing. Like you, our schedule won't allow (I don't think so anyway) for a repeat cruise on this terrific little ship....but I'm very sure those already booked before she goes will have a great cruise. We also gave many kudos to the exceptional crew.

Isn't the laundry a pain??? :D

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to your full review. Was the CD Ered Matthew? I want to go to his oceanliner & Norway presentations if he is still on the Majesty.

What is the best time to arrive at the cruise terminal in Philly? Do you have any idea what time the Seven Seas Restaurant was open for lunch on embarkation day?

Were you docked on the port or starboard side? On the webcam it looked like it was docked on the starboard side for a change. Someone else from your cruise thinks it was the starboard side, also.

Thanks for the mini-review and I'll look forward to hearing more. We do the 10/18 sailing to Canada and it's our first on NCL. How was the parking situation at the port? What time did you arrive at the port?

Just down the road from you in Chalfont!:D

Hi Folks,

CV - you are so right. Still dealing with the laundry piles - that is always depressing. :)

Maryln - CD was John Ibrahim. Like you, I was looking forward to Ered's presentations. John did a great job though. Everything was "smashing" and we all got a kick out of his other favorite phrase "Love your work, Mate". I would say arrive earlier rather than later at Philly, based on our experience. (But keep in mind that things were a bit messed up on our sailing due to Hanna and also the need to do the check-in inside the ship rather than in the terminal.)

We left home around 10:15 and got there about 11AM. Be sure you have the colored tags from the cruiseline on your luggage. Folks who had printed them out at home were diverted to a different parking lot where NCL staffers traded their tags. Only after they had the colored laminated type from the cruise line were they able to go to the main parking lot. We parked our car in the long-term parking and boarded a trolley to take us to the terminal. (Only about 2 blocks - you could also walk if you had little luggage). We were fully checked in by about 12:45. Waited 15 minutes until the rooms were ready, dropped off our carryons and then headed to Seven Seas for lunch. Not sure what time they opened that day, but we walked past it on the way to the rooms at 12:45 and saw a number of diners in there.

We actually were docked on the Starboard side - and at Penno's Wharf rather than Ordinance Island. Combination of coast-guard mandated lifeboat exercises on the port side of the vessel and a disabled ship which needed to dock at the other pier.

Bunkie - parking was great; couldn't ask for more convenient. As long as you have the colored laminated type tags on your bags you'll be directed right to the long-term parking lot. Open lot - you park yourself in whatever space you like. I think it was $10 per day payable when you return. Trolleys are waiting at the end of the lot. You take your bags to the trolley, the driver helps you load them and you grab a seat and head for the terminal. The trolley drops you off, you walk about 50 yards and head into the building. We got to the LT Parking lot around 11AM. It turned out to be a good time. Lots of late arrivals on our sailing day - we figured due to Philly airport - you know how PHL is when it rains. Based in Chalfont you'll have the same great experience we did. What a treat it was to have such a short drive to the port with no flights. Loved it! I'm so hoping we continue to have ships out of Philly. Packing to come home was so easy since I didn't have to worry about fitting things into suitcases and limiting the number of carryons that I had.

I really envy you the Canada trip - I'd love to do that trip sometime. If you can, try to be watching when the ship goes under the Commodore Barry bridge - that's the first time I understood why only the smaller ships can come into Philly. We didn't clear it by a lot.

Back to the wash machine.....

Thanks, Kathy! Can we leave our luggage off at the terminal then one us park or do they make you park first? Can you remember how long it took to get to open seas after leaving Philly? CD John didn't do the presentations? I didn't realize I had so many questions. Sorry!

Thanks for posting I wondered how the seas were after we got off. I pretty much found the same as you did...

the have a 19.99 or 15.99 laundry special. All you can fit into the paper bag and its wash and ironed or washed and folded....worth every penny. we came home with limited dirty laundry and they do a good job too,....

Hi Katwag

We are leaving this Saturday from Philly and your description of the procedure at the terminal was different from what we experienced last year, so I wanted to know if you could clarify. Last year we dropped our bags off with our car and then parked (paying in advance) and then took the trolley to the ship. Has the system changed? It was very easy last year. Appreciate your reply. Thanks

Kathy,

Thanks for taking time on laundry day to answer my questions. I too love the idea of not having to pack for a flight.

We sailed under the Verrazano bridge on the QM2 last fall at 4am with half the ship on deck to watch, so I'll be curious to see how well the Majesty fits under the Commodore Barry.

Maryln...on the Ports of Call board someone told me it takes 5-6 hours to reach the open ocean. Not sure we'll stay on deck that long, but I'm excited we don't have to watch the clock for dinner.;)

Maryln - I'm sure you can drop off the luggage and then go park. We didn't bother because the line for drop offs looked long and it seemed they were only allowing a few cars at a time to go through to keep things from getting too congested. But we didn't have much luggage at that time. On the way home, I stayed with the bags, DH got the car and came to pick me up (I had way too many carryon bags at that point - too much great shopping). Keep in mind that the rain from Hanna had an impact on pretty much everything during our embarkation. You know how people drive around here when the roads get wet. You may find a very short line to drop off luggage when you arrive.

To get to the open seas? I'd guess the number Bunkie gave is a good one. We left around 6PM (two hours late). DH and I watched the views from our table in the pasta cafe beginning around 6:30 or so. After the shows we went out to the promenade deck for a bit (didn't stay long - it was raining). At that point (probably around 10:30, we thought we were probably getting close to the mouth of the delaware bay - no land to be seen on either side, but we didn't think we were in the open ocean quite yet.

John didn't do the presentations. The closest thing we had to a lecture was the destination Bermuda session given by Sherry McKeown (the future cruise consultant) on Sunday at 3PM. (Unless you count the martini-making lecture?) :)

Roxanne - I promise I'll get the review posted so you can read it before you leave. I'm aiming for Thursday. I'll post it in this forum rather than the review forum so it gets out faster. I'm sure you can drop off your bags before parking - see above. In fact, as I'm thinking about it, most of the people on the trolley only had carryons so they must have done just that. I think only about half of us had luggage with us. I just ran upstairs to confirm with DH - he definitely paid for the parking yesterday - not when we arrived last Saturday.

Smeyer - I've been wishing all day that I'd taken advantage of that laundry offer. :)

Bunkie - one of my favorite things about NCL is not having to worry about my assigned dining time. It was especially great when we were docked in Bermuda - no need to worry about rushing back to the ship for dinner. Our sailaway got washed out by Hanna but hopefully you'll have great weather and be able to stay on deck as long as you like.

Going under the Verrazano on QM2 must have been amazing. (Although I don't know if I would have been awake to see it - 4AM!)

Kathy,

Thanks for taking time on laundry day to answer my questions. I too love the idea of not having to pack for a flight.

We sailed under the Verrazano bridge on the QM2 last fall at 4am with half the ship on deck to watch, so I'll be curious to see how well the Majesty fits under the Commodore Barry.

Maryln...on the Ports of Call board someone told me it takes 5-6 hours to reach the open ocean. Not sure we'll stay on deck that long, but I'm excited we don't have to watch the clock for dinner.;)

Wow! After all these years living here I've never been on any kind of boat south of the Scudder Falls Bridge.

Kathy....when we boarded in Southampton I told DH I was going to get up to see us pass under the Verrazano because of what I had read about it on CC. He just laughed, but when I set the alarm at 3:30am I knew he would be up with me and sure enough he was. We made our way up on deck and were surprised at how many people were there including our tablemates, two British couples. It was truly amazing, a site not to be missed regardless of the time.;)

we also paid for the parking when we returned not before hand...(8/30 cruise)

we drove up I dropped my wife and luggage off and took the trolley back...(I had left something in the car and just before we check in went back to get it it faster than waiting for the trolley. I have had to walk farther at a mall when I parked my car to the entrance of the mall.) Coming back we took the stuff to the curb(a porter helped) and then I walked to the car, paid on the way out of the lot and drove back and off we went...

Dear KatWag,

Thanks for your informative review. We are leaving this Saturday!! My question to you is that did you attend the St. George harbour night on Tues. or any other festivals?? What did you think of them?? Thanks, Laurie

Dear KatWag,

Thanks for your informative review. We are leaving this Saturday!! My question to you is that did you attend the St. George harbour night on Tues. or any other festivals?? What did you think of them?? Thanks, Laurie

harbor night festivals at St George and Hamilton are viewable at http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418....

The St George one had better nearer entertainment. The one in Hamilton more shopping(IMO)

Kathy....when we boarded in Southampton I told DH I was going to get up to see us pass under the Verrazano because of what I had read about it on CC. He just laughed, but when I set the alarm at 3:30am I knew he would be up with me and sure enough he was. We made our way up on deck and were surprised at how many people were there including our tablemates, two British couples. It was truly amazing, a site not to be missed regardless of the time.;)

We left Brooklyn on QM2 at 9 p.m. in May, because the captain waited for the fireworks over the Brooklyn Bridge. It was pretty chilly topside, but a bunch of us ventured to the very top observation deck. We watched a police helicopter fly BENEATH our level. Everyone cheered when the front mast cleared the Verrazano bridge, and then we turned around and cheered again when the stack cleared. It was close enough that the bridge deck diverted the smoke from the stack! By that time we were all freezing, but it was worth every second.

Thanks to everyone for the info on Majesty out of Philly. We're on the 9/27 cruise and are really looking forward to it.

Our sailaway got washed out by Hanna but hopefully you'll have great weather and be able to stay on deck as long as you like.

Kathy -

Glad you guys made it out and to Bermuda. Was wondering how Hanna would effect the cruise.

We are leaving this Saturday, 9/20 and am praying for calm seas and good weather. So far, everything looks good for us.

Ronni G.

Hi Folks,

Full review is coming along - I think I'll post it by days and just add as I go on since so many folks have cruises coming up very quickly.

Sorry for the delayed responses to the later posts - I was out for a medical procedure yesterday and just getting back to the computer now.

Bunkie - some day I am going to do the transatlantic - I really hope DH and I do what you did and get up early to watch.

kidz_rn - We went to the St. George's Festival but didn't make the Hamilton one (it was raining that night and we also had our Town Crier tour - postponed from Monday night). We enjoyed the St. George's one. Don't miss the dunking of the wench - great steet theater. Also some stands in the town square with items which make great souvenirs and goombay dancers (not sure of the spelling on that one - but they get audience members to participate as well.)

Sailor's Girl - you're going to have a great time. You'll love the crew on this ship.

Steve - you're so right. I keep telling DH he needs to find an available slot in his schedule to sail Majesty again. Not looking good so far, unfortunately.

Ronni - I think you'll be golden. Weather looks really good so far. I hope you get the sailing we got on the way home both ways - honestly looked like bathtub water on the way back.

Going to post the first part of the review tonight and will keep working on it. I know there have been a number of reviews of Majesty which were not that great. But I truly believe it is down to expectations. No, it isn't the newest ship and it doesn't have ice skating rinks and rock climbing walls. But it is an intimate ship with great venues, good entertainment and an incredible staff who go out of their way every day to make sure you have a great trip. We had one of our best trips yet on her.

Archived