Ncl spirit

vintage914racer

I'm considering going on the spirit out of New Orleans next spring. I've seen conflictig reviews and want to determine if it will work for me. I've been on more than 12 Ncl cruises and like freestyle, but after recently going on the sun, jewel, dawn and gem I don't want to be disappointed with the ship. Any insight on tv ship? Has anyone taken it out of New Orleans?

I tend to be very easygoing and think I should enjoy it, but I want to make sure the rest of my group will like it too.

if you have been on all those other cruises and liked those ship..and like freestyle, you shouldn't have any problems with the spirit.

the reviews usually complain about the spirit looking "worn", but it's getting a dry dock this fall...should get a good cleaning.

other reviews complain about freestyle, you know you like freestyle.

other complain about the engine problems, but that's getting replaced in the dry dock.

i have my review (from last dec to the west caribe) linked in my signature, photos of the trip and the ship are in my webshot link.

the spirit is original..asian statue and decor in areas of the ship.

i like her due to her size, big enough to not be crowded and small enough to get around easily. still hoping for a miracle to allow us to sail on her this year..to the western caribe.

We went on the Spirit out of NY in May 2007. We too had read many complaints/opinions about Spirit and I had my concerns that I had made a mistake. I even remember one poster saying the beds were shorter because it was originally built for the Asian market. I'm 6-2" and I fit just fine (inside cabin).

That was our 10th cruise and had been on PoA the prior year. The Spirit was great! Our kids really loved the pool in the back and all else was fine. The only couple of issues - some rude people (which you get on any ship) and no fridge (although stewards brought plenty of ice).

The drydock should take care of some of the worn items.

We took the Spirit out of New Orleans in Feb 08. It was a little "worn" looking but nothing horrible. We had a BA room and it was not too cramped for the two of us; we were pleasantly surprised by the amount of space we had. We spent a lot of time out on the balcony.

Our stewards always welcomed us with a smile and recalled our names every time they saw us. Since we did not have a fridge, they would bring us ice morning and night. When the overhead light burned out, we told him about it and it was replaced within the hour.

I do recall the beds being very hard however that might be fixed with the new 2.0 bedding. If not, just ask for extra padding.

Everyone on board was very friendly and accommodating and we really did not have any complaints. If you have any specific questions let me know.

I went on the Spirit last month out of NYC. I honestly don't think you're going to have to worry about not having a good time. You will be on the Spirit after it goes into drydock this November, and it will be a beautiful ship. It is a beautiful ship now, and although tons of people say that it's worn out, the only thing I noticed was the carpeting in some places was ripping a tiny bit. Why people complain about that, I do not know, but all I know is that what the carpets look like will not stop me from going on the ship. The Spirit is awesome; I love the ship and I hope to cruise on it again. You can't be looking at the reviews of what other people have experienced. If you want to look at every little detail of your cruise and complain about everything then you're not going to have fun. If you want to have a good time, you will, no matter what. There's so many different things to do on the ship, and I could just go on and on about it. If you do decide to go on the Spirit which I hope you do, you're going to have an awesome time. Just remember that your cruise is what you make it.

Here's the link to my review if you'd like to take a look at it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=837069

no one has sailed out of new orleans since early spring, before the spirit left for the east coast. we drove down from memphis area, had the GPS set and got there with ease. our only problem was the security guard, in front of check in...he was demanding to see the actual cruise tickets. we had ours, but others were on the ground...going through purses and carry-on luggage...it was a sight:D !

loved the new terminal...built since katrina..very easy to get around. had people, outside, to direct the cars into the parking lot and the right floor for luggage drop-off. we were on the ship less then 30 mins after driving up...including dropping off the luggage and checking in.

i was just surprised that you sail the mississippi for HOURS...in the very wee hours, of the morning, you could feel the BUMP as the ship entered the gulf. but it was too dark to see anything except a few lights here and there. we had very smooth sailing...at times the gulf didn't was like glass.

last year the ship did roatan, to replace costa maya..which was damaged by a hurricane, the ship are just starting to go back this winter.

great information on the port-of-call boards for each of the ports.

we wanted to go again this december, have been looking at prices for 2 months...just waiting. but i start a new job next week..after being semi-retired for 2 years, DH just started a 2nd job. the cruise will have to wait..but we are going to do it SOMETIME

Archived