Costa VS MSC

sunryz710

Hi there,

I am considering booking a mediteranean cruise with Costa in May 09.

Wondering if there is anyone out there who has cruised with both MSC and Costa that can provide a comparison for me.

They have a similar itinerary and I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,

We have been on Costa 2x and not yet on MSC though I look forward to someday. If the itineraries were almost the same, I would then look at age/class of ship and price. Both lines have both new and older ships which would make a big difference. MSC also has Kids Sail Free even in Europe which could make a difference depending on your sailing situation.

Let us know what you decide!

Kids sail free on both lines most cruises.

I think that Costa just has the edge but it is close. do choose the newer ship if going for MCL.

Main problem for US and Brits is that the announcements are in 4/5 languages with Engish last, by which time everyone else is talking.

• 2 months later...

The embarkation procedure for Costa in Savona was a nightmare; MSC out of Genoa was a breeze. I liked the food better on MSC. Shore excursions on both were excellent and about the same.

I was so disappointed in the 4 hour wait to get on the Costa ship in Savona; it might be that particular port. Costa embarkation in the Caribbean was a breeze. In Italy they didn't have a queue and everyone seemed to cut in the line; where you also had to go through about 4 different stations and still go to the guest services to register my credit card (although I had turned in signed paperwork).

We've sailed MSC Opera & Costa Magica, not much to choose between them really. The dining options for dinner were the only major diffference for me. More options on Magica but it's a much bigger ship. Opera(in 2005) had a main dining room and not much else in the evenings. I guess you pick just the ship with the facilities you prefer.

We had excellent trips on both though......

Cheers

pujro

• 2 weeks later...

We were in October 07 on MSC Opera and now we just returned from Costa Serena. MSC was in our opinion much more organized and they have more staff per person as Costa, what can be felt in restaurants and in cabins. For example, on MSC 3 waiters were serving 3 tables, on Costa 2 waiters more tables. Our cabin on MSC was always clean and with fresh towels, but on Costa they didn't clean the cabin sometimes till afternoon. Disembarkation in pors of call was very quick and easy on MSC, but on Costa a nightmare - we were always lost searching the exit and they didn't arrange enough exits, so there were long ques. Theater shows were excellent every day on MSC, because there were several artists each night, on Costa every night we had different artist, and sometimes it was boring.

But Costa has also advantages - our kids loved teens club (on MSC there was nothing much going on for teens) and X1 package was also great. We also liked sauna on Costa and pools and jacuzzis are inside and the water in pools was warm (on MSC it was not heated).

But Costa has also advantages - our kids loved teens club (on MSC there was nothing much going on for teens) and X1 package was also great. We also liked sauna on Costa and pools and jacuzzis are inside and the water in pools was warm (on MSC it was not heated).

have to agree... we haven't MSC'd YET, but will. Costa is very disorganized and the service truly just isn't up to par. At dinner one night we had NO server assistant. I asked and he had been fired that day and we, the guest, had to pay in terms of bad service for the rest of the cruise. Thank goodness for the X1 package to smooth this over!! (wine on the table = happy cruiser). However, my teen didn't go to the teen club, though I begged her to (it looked good enough) and the sauna in the Samsara spa was fabulous. (the Sauna & steam room on the Magica were pretty wonderful, too, with amazing views....)

happy cruising. wish I were again;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hard to say. Both of them are aimed to be orientated to Europeans (mainly Italians and Spanish), with an italian approach. So lively atmosphere, fun, pasta & fantasia, and italian charm in an international cosmpolitan setting. Both are supposed to be a generalist product (I wouldn´t call them first class in any circunstance).

Fancy ships with different concept. While MSC as the biggest european cruise company (100% european) is completely designed for Europeans while COSTA is the idea of how Carnival perceive an european product should be. I don´t want to generalize because I don´t know what you would like best.

I prefer Jorio internal designs on MSC ships. Food and service is very similar, and prices tend to be much better on COSTA. Of course depends on the ship you want to choose. While most passengers love Farcus designs, my favourite ships on COSTA are the older ones, because they are more minimalist, italian hi tech design, and more discerning interiors. Modern Poesia, Orchesta, Musica and the Fantasia are absolutely nice.

So whatever you choose, I think you wouldn´t be disappointed.

Archived