Has anyone done dolphin discovery in Tortola?

muzzy 10

Hi - We did the swim in Tortola in August of this year. It was amazing. We booked independently (the cruise line wasn't offering it online, but did have it to book once on board) and it was the best. We walked off the ship, and asked for a cab to the Prospect Reef Resort (where Dolphin Discovery is located). Got there 1/2 hour early and checked in at the front desk. They took us into a room to watch a video about how to interact with the dolphins, how to hold their heads, how to do the foot push and dorsal swim. Then they take you to the water. There is a submerged walkway (about waist/chest deep) you stand on while they tell you about the dolphins, you do some hand signals etc. Kisses and lots of petting the dolphins. You then swim, one at a time, out into the water and do the foot push (ahh... a one piece swimsuit is recommended here !) and the dorsal fin swim. The dolphins also swim with you and dance with you (funny) and the trainer explains how they live, what they do, some anatomy etc. My husband and son and I were the only 3 people in the water with a total of 3 dolphins. I don't think this is the norm, we just lucked out !! However, the cruiseline group arrived before us, didn't get in the water until after us, and there were about 10-15 people in each group. I was glad I booked independently. We dried off, bought the video and a few pictures, grabbed a taxi back to the ship, but we had him drop us off at Pusser's for lunch and then walked back to the ship from there. Let me know if there are any other questions. I thought they did a great job, and my one piece of advice... BOOK EARLY !

Hey Muzyy...we are on the NCL Dawn for thanksgiving (will actually be in Totola for thanksgiving). I was thinking about booking it mysell instead of through the cruise line. Seems like a better experience and it's cheaper. We were going to do it in Tortola untill I found out that my unce (who will also be on the cruise) has a close firend who's uncle is the mayor of Tortola. Now it sounds like we are getting a private tour when we get there. Will probably do the dolphin swim in Antigua now.

We walked off the ship, and asked for a cab to the Prospect Reef Resort (where Dolphin Discovery is located).

jfishe,

Thanks for your post. Was just wondering how far Dolphin Discover (at Prospect Reef Resort) is away from the piers. We have reservations for the 1 pm show and will be around the downtown (shopping, of course) and was wondering if it was in walking distance, or whether we should arrange for a taxi there.

Thanks, Hilander

Well, folks, I reseerved my spot in Tortola. Unfortunatley, i found ou from the fellow I spoke to and have been emailing, Juan, tha Holland America has held all places for the 10am and 12 noon swims. i could only do the 2PM. Bummer. I really wanted to go early and then take taxi to Pussers Landing. HAL's dolphin swim is only 20 $ more so i am wondering what to do next; book with HAL at 10 and cancel the other, or not? Juan told me my husband could come as an observer for free and I'm sure HAL would charge him to ride the van, if room. jfishe , what's your take on this? Oh, hilander, I was told it takes about 25 minutes to get from pier to prospect reef. Muzzy

hhhmmm.... going early would be nice, but if you are in a smaller group if you book independently, I would go later. There were so many people in the cruise group, it looked overwhelming. I don't think it took 25 minutes from the pier. As per Dolphin Discovery's web site: "Take a taxi from the cruise ships dock area (or your hotel) to Prospect Reef hotel, Road Town (next to Reef House Convention Center). Dolphin Discovery is located inside the hotel. The journey will take approximately 5 minutes and costs US$3.00 per person."

The "van" was an open air bus like contraption.

I don't think it's walkable from the downtown area... the roads are narrow and somewhat crazy drivers !!

Archived