Boston see JFK Library, Freedom trail, USS Const, trolley?

golf4bird

Hello,

I've been researching Boston since our cruise will be there on Oct 14. We arrive at 10AM and leave at 7PM. I'm undecided whether to take the Old Town Trolley Tour on our own or to book the Freedom Trail Walking Tour through the cruiseline. My hubby is a history buff, so I'd like to see as much as we can. We'd also love to see the USS Constitution and the JFK Library.

I'm inclined to take the trolley and then see the USS Constitution when we're at that stop. Then, the rest of group was thinking of taking a cab to the USS Constition and then do the Freedom Trail Walking Tour. I know my DH would like to see the JFK Library as well. Can it all be done? I doubt it with doing it justice.

I'm so confused at this point and just need to decide. Can anyone provide some advice? So much to do, so little time!!

Take the trolley. There are four different trolley tours in Boston, but The Old Town Trolley is the only one that has a stop one half mile from the Black Falcon Cruise ship terminal at the Westin Waterfront Hotel, it's about a ten minute walk. You can purchase your tickets online and save. It's a great way to get an overview of the city and you can use it to get to the Freedom Trail sites. The Freedom Trail itself is a 2.5 mile (one-way, 5 mile round-trip) walk from the Boston Common to the Bunker Hill Monument and covers 16 historic sites. The JFK Library is not on the tour route and is several miles from downtown and would require a taxi or subway ride. It might be too much to do in one day. If you just want to go into the city on your own, DO NOT TAKE THE SHUTTLE FROM THE PIER to Quincy Market!! They usually charge $14 pp round trip. If you have 2-4 people it would be cheaper in a taxi. The cruise terminal is approximately 2 miles from Quincy Market.

Whatever you do, you'll thoroughly enjoy Beantown!

I agree with RandMcnally. The Old Town trolley is really the best of the trolley tours. When I moved to Boston from California, I was the first person on the east coast for most of my family and friends to visit. Believe me, I did lots of trolley tours. Old Town really seemed to be the best tour, and had plenty of trolleys. And, you'll get to see most of the historic sights. One thing to check...you can get off and on as much as you want, but, as I recall, you can't pass your starting point, i.e., if you get on at the Westin, you have to make that your final stopping point, you can't keep going, so plan accordingly. And have a great time...Boston is a great place to visit, and so full of history!

Golf4Bird,

I'm not sure if you'll have time to do both the full Trolley Tour (assuming you get off and look at things and have lunch somewhere) and the JFK Museum. If your hubbie is a history buff then he will undoubtly be interested in touring the Old North Church, Old Ironsides, Bunker Hill, the site of the Boston Massacre, the famous burial grounds etc. All of that done right with a nice lunch stop and some souvenier shopping at Quincy Market can fill your day nicely.

I love the JFK Museum too, but for a first (and/only?) trip to Boston, I think you'd have a more satisfying experience doing the Trolley. However, if you don't get off the Trolley much (or the weather is rainy!), you would likely have time to do both. Probably would be best to take the Trolley back to the Westin Waterfront and jump in a taxi for the short 10 min ride over to the Museum.

Enjoy our wonderful city!

Lynne

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if I can purchase my tickets for this tour at the westin hotel stop 16. I thought I read something about that on here before but can't find that thread. I know I can purchase tickets on line but not sure I want to do this. I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks

You should be able to purchase your tickets from the Concierge. However, you don't have to have a ticket to get on the trolley. The drivers will gladly pick you up without a ticket and let you purchase one at Stop #1 (Long Wharf). If you plan on boarding the trolley at the closest stop to the ship, that would be stop #16 the Westin Waterfront Hotel and the trolley picks up right at the front door. DO NOT WAIT ON SUMMER STREET, make sure you walk up the steps to the front door of the hotel.

Thanks everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. We are going to do the Old Town Trolley tour. If it looks like we have time, maybe take a cab to the JFK library, however, we'll probably be tuckered out by then. We'll just have to go back to Boston again!

Thanks so much! :)

Hi RandMcnally

Thank you very much for that information. I will wait and purchase my tickets when I get there. I'm just a little concerned that they will let you get on without a ticket. What if people get off at stop 1 and don't buy a ticket? Is there a way they can control this? Also what are must do's well I am there.

Thank You

Joanne

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if I can purchase my tickets for this tour at the westin hotel stop 16. I thought I read something about that on here before but can't find that thread. I know I can purchase tickets on line but not sure I want to do this. I hope someone can help with this.

Thanks

I actually had the same question and called the company. I was told we can purchase them at the hotel (stop 16), but cannot use a credit card (unlike on line)... That works for us as we don't want to decide until we get there. It's nice to know that even if that's not the case, they'll pick us up and let us get them at stop 1 as RandMc. said.

Hi RandMcnally

Thank you very much for that information. I will wait and purchase my tickets when I get there. I'm just a little concerned that they will let you get on without a ticket. What if people get off at stop 1 and don't buy a ticket? Is there a way they can control this? Also what are must do's well I am there.

Thank You

Joanne

If anyone gets off at stop #1 and doesn't buy a ticket, then they will not be able to re-board the trolley. The entire tour takes 1 hr 45 min to 2 hours depending on the traffic. Included with your ticket is FREE admission to the Old State House, a great little museum in the oldest public building in Boston, circa 1713. The are loads of historic sites to check out, USS Constitution, Old North Church, Paul Revere's House and Faneuil Hall, just to name a few. I would definately check out (if it is a nice day) the Skwalk at the Prudential Building, which is an observation room on the 50th floor. The views are spectacular. Across the street is the world headquarters for the Christian Science religion and they have a one-of-a-kind exhibit called the Mapparium. It is a 30ft stained glass globe of the world and it is truly breathtaking! In that same area is the oldest operating firehouse in the city, Ladder 15 & Engine 33. You can go in there and purchase Boston Fire Department souvenier t-shirts. Where else can you do that?

Archived