1st night in Sydney - Where should we have Dinner?

Hi - We are going on our first trip to Australia in November. Soooo excited.

We arrive at 9:00 pm at the Marriot Sydney Harbour. Of course we'll be too excited to sleep so I'm sure we will head out for a "walkabout" and dinner.

Where should we eat? It should be casual (because we'll be tired).

Any good suggestions?

Sandy I love to catch the ferry across to Manly and eat over there. Very pretty on the harbour at night. Sorry I can't suggest any restaurants near your hotel as we live 2 hours up the coast from the city.

Sandy, head off to Circular Quay. There are heaps of restaurants along there. Some more expensive than others. There is also the ever lovable McDonalds as well. I quite like one place called City Extra, it is kinda like Dennys but a bit more expensive. We have a discount card so that is probably why I like it.

I quite like one place called City Extra, it is kinda like Dennys but a bit more expensive. We have a discount card so that is probably why I like it.

I love City Extra..... always have. From memory, very smilar to Dennys and still reasonably priced. And in a great spot too:)

Hi Sandy

I work directly across the road from Sydney Harbour Marriott, so I should be able to help, although I don't go to restaurants often.

Focusing on your intention for a casual dinner, then I couldn't agree more with others that City Extra at Circular Quay would be my choice also.

It's underneath the Circular Quay train station facing the ferry wharves, with views of the Harbour Bridge, and is no more than a 5min walk from your hotel.

(Directions: come out of your hotel, turn right walk 1min to Circular Quay. Once you have crossed Alfred St, pass under the overhead train line then turn right and you'll find City Extra facing one of the ferry wharves)

Other options for casual dining around Circular Quay:

- Rossini's which is casual italian and also under the railway facing the harbour and you will pass it going to City Extra (personally I don't like the service here. I've never seen a smile from any of the all male 30-50yr old italians);

- the NSW Waratahs rugby union club is just 10m down the small (safe) laneway directly opposite your hotel. It's primarily a bar (for normal people. it's no nightclub) and has a menu you can order from inside, and sometimes a BBQ cooking steaks outside.

- The Basement (jazz club) is in the laneway right next door to your hotel, and I believe it has recently been refurbished, however I've not been in there for years.

City Extra is great though, and I still can't understand why there are only two of them in all of Sydney. www.cityextra.com.au/

I'm sure you'll enjoy your first trip to Sydney!

Archived