Category VD Stateroom for 4?

NickAndysMom

My husband, my 2 sons (ages 11 & 8) & I will be on the Noordam in February. The four of us will be staying in a VD category stateroom. Can anyone describe what the stateroom will look like when the beds are set for 4 people? (Better yet, does anyone happen to have a picture?) I'm curious about whether we'll have one of the kid's beds lengthwise along the wall with a pull down bed directly above it (as on our Carnival Spirit cruise), or if it will be a "pull-out chair" perpendicular to the wall with a pull down above it the opposite direction (as on our Brilliance of the Seas cruise).

Either way will be fine, but the Carnival set-up (& larger room) was definitely better for our family of 4!

Thanks for your help.

We sailed in VD4169 on the Westerdam to Alaska a few years back. The Westerdam is a sister ship to the Noordam. My kids were 19 and 17 at the time. My son is 6'7". He slept on the sofa (love seat size) which pulled out into a bed. He said it was very comfortable. The sofa was right in front of the balcony door, so it did make going out on the balcony difficult when the bed was pulled out. My daughter slept on a pullman above our bed. She also said her bed was very comfortable. Only problem there was she had to step on our bed to get in and out. Her bed was long-ways, so we did have to also be careful about sitting straight up (her bed was directly above our heads). The room steward pulled it down every night and put it up the next day. With the ages your kids are, they could probably both easily fit on the sofa bed unless they each wanted their own bed. Bathrooms/getting dressed went fine for us as my teens were night owls and late sleepers while my husband and I rose early. We never all wanted in the bathroom at the same time and the kids were sleeping in while we were getting ready.

It was worth it for us to do it this way--this way we could all get to Alaska whereas we could not afford another room (we had a special where the kids went totally free.) Our only cost was airfare.

• 3 weeks later...

Marie, a much belated "thank you very much" from my family & me. I haven't been able to get the search function to work until tonight, so I'd been unable to find my message until now.

I really appreciate your response. I think I can visualize what the cabin will look like with all the beds set up. It's a configuration I don't think we've ever seen before. It doesn't sound ideal, but definitely workable!

Only a few more months until our cruise. Can't wait!

Marie, a much belated "thank you very much" from my family & me. I haven't been able to get the search function to work until tonight, so I'd been unable to find my message until now.

One way to find you posts is to click on your name and you will see an option to 'View all posts by NickAndysMom'. Or to see where you have posted look at the links at the top of the pages click on 'User CP', then "Edit Profile' and you should see a list of Subscribed Threads.

We will be three in a quad room. It is our DD who will have just turned 18. Which bed would be better for her to use? Would the upper beath give a bit more privacy? Is there not a ladder for her to climb up to her berth? I am still trying to picture out it all works out.

My dh and I traveled in a VA cabin last summer with a teenage dd (16 at the time ) and ds ( 18 at the time). There was a curtain between the bed and the fold out loveseat so it gave some privacy to the loveseat area, as long as you closed the curtains on the balcony too :D That bed probably has a little more privacy.

There is a ladder to get to the bed which pulls down from above the head end of the "adults" bed so no one needs to step on the bed to get up there. We did bump heads a couple times sitting up in bed. Someone a little while back suggested having the steward make up the adults bed with the head where the feet belong so that you wouldn't hit your head sitting up. Sounds like a good idea to try out. We were comfortable with 4 in our cabin. As long as your dd isn't a bathroom hog and your ds doesn't need as much time looking at his hair as mine :p You'll have a great time !

Archived