Opinion on booking hotels?

murphysmum

Hello...

I'll be in Boston next fall for three or four days pre-cruise to Canada. I tend to like hotels with some age and charm and friends in Boston have suggested either the Lenox, The Eliott or the Copley Plaza. I'll make a hotel choice...no problem.

I'm just curious about how others on this board go about booking hotels.

I usually call the hotel reservations desk directly, ask the difference between rooms, views and other amenities and then reserve. I call a vew days before arrival to confirm that my preferences have been noted and this has worked quite well for me.

However, I keep reading on these boards about Priceline bidding, Hotels.com, Expedia, etc. and the wonderful prices that people get. My only experience has been with one booking through Hotels.com when I booked two upscale rooms in New Orleans several years ago, arrived on time to be told that they were overbooked and would accomodate my party in their "sister hotel". Six couples arrived at the same time we did and were given the same story. The alternative hotel was truly filthy throughout the common areas and into the individual rooms. It was also priced at over $100 less per night and we weren't able to recover the difference.

Since it was only one night before a cruise and we had dinner reservations, we stayed in the "dump", and then went on to enjoy our cruise.

So, I guess that my question is....Can you actually save significant amounts of money by booking on any of these sites and at the same time guarantee that you will get what you're attempting to pay for?

Is it my imagination or do you get more "perks" when booking directly through the hotel? I seem to get an inordinate number of upgrades, view rooms, suites, etc. and I usually book a regular queen sized room with a view of anything but a brick wall.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

murphysmum;)

I've never had a bad experience booking through Travelocity or Expedia. However, I'm sure there are folks out there who have. I've also not bid on Priceline, but there are tips on these boards as to how to do that for Boston. I think another tip is to call the hotel the morning of your arrival, tell them you have a reservation, and ask them to block you out a particular room. That way if you arrive late, you don't just get the leftovers.

Over the years I've actually stayed in many of the downtown Boston hotels overnight on business. Some are nicer than others, but in the end they are just hotel rooms. Boston hotels have gotten to be very expensive, so folks who are going on cruises are looking to trim their expenses so that their 3 days in Boston does not cost more than one cruise fare.

It sounds like you are very particular about your accommodations and might be even be disappointed if you didn't get a special view or an upgrade. However, that may just be one of the perks of paying the going rate.

Hello...

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I think that your last sentence may have said it all...."....it may be one of the perks of getting exactly what you want (paraphrased)...'

I think that you're right. Until or unless I can stop being so picky about individual hotel rooms, I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay more. To me the hotel and it's ambiance are all part of the trip and it's never "just a hotel room".

However, I do want to tell you that I'm not a complete hotel snob. I'm just as happy with an inexpensive B&B in the middle of a cow pasture in Ireland or England...as long as it's charming and there's a great view and good reviews.

Happy traveling...

murphysmum;)

You can get some great views in Boston, but not in the "charming" hotels. I've stayed in the Copley Plaza and what used to be the Meridien, but quite frankly I found these places somewhat stuffy and pretentious. We've stayed in the Marriott and the Westin at Copley Place, both of which are newer hotels, and I thought the views of Boston from the upper floors were spectacular. We stayed twice on the concierge floor (29th) of the Westin in a Jr. Suite on New Year's eve overlooking all of Boston. Unfortunately, the "charming" hotels are lower to the ground, so at best you are looking at whatever is next to those hotels, which is probably not something so wonderful.

I'm sure the Boston Harbor Hotel has great views as well. Perhaps someone else will post and give their experiences.

Hi!

I think that you're right on target about views from the "charming" Boston hotels. I've been to Boston several times, so my idea of a view would be "not a brick wall". I had actually diverted to places in the countryside when I mentioned great views. I will, however, take a look at your suggestions; I'm quite open to any great hotel. I've stayed at the Four Seasons in Boston and they have great views, but they're priced so high now that it's just not worth it to me.

I just found a short paragraph in an article in AOL Travel which seems to apply to methods of booking. I've copied it below.

"Honestly, hotels give much better service to people who book directly with them. They can see it on the reservation and if you didn't book through them, they're less likely to give you a good room."...from AOL 10/6

I've always had this feeling, but the article kind of reinforced it.

Again, thanks for your input.

Happy travels!

murphysmum;)

Archived