Any suggestions for Cranival Pride?

TheFutureMrs.

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Pride on Oct 19 for our 1 year anniversary!:D :D We are not looking to spend a whole lot of money so I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for shore excursions. In Cabo, I was planning on going to Melia resort. In Puerto Vallarta, I was plannong on going to the Krystal resort. Any ideas for Mazatalan or any opinions on the excursions I am planning?

Thank you so much for all the ideas and advice!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Pride on Oct 19 for our 1 year anniversary!:D :D We are not looking to spend a whole lot of money so I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for shore excursions. In Cabo, I was planning on going to Melia resort. In Puerto Vallarta, I was plannong on going to the Krystal resort. Any ideas for Mazatalan or any opinions on the excursions I am planning?

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

If you're interested, come join our Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=800588&page=7

In Cabo, we're going to take the water taxi to Medano Beach. I had checked into the ME also, but for $30 - $35pp, thought that we'd have a better experience on our own, even though I'd totally enjoy being at a nice resort.

In PV, we're going to be a little adventurous and take a city bus to Sayulita:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821725&highlight=sayulita

As for Mazatlan, we'll take the water taxi to Stone Island where you can find a restaurant or 2, to hang out at, have lunch, etc and relax. If your interested in any tour, Mazatlan Frank gets a lot of recommendations and Randis Happy Horses, if you'd like to experience that. Their websites are all over the MR boards.

My wife and I (Also sailing on the Pride on the 19th) are going to do Randi's Happy Horses, so if anyone is interested, you're welcome to come along. Just send Randi an e-mail (visit the website for details).

We're really looking forward to it.. she wanted to "ride horses on the beach" on our honeymoon (17.5 years ago), so I've owed this one to her for a long time.

In Mazatlan we are doing Stone Island also, just going to go sit at the beach and relax! We are doing Krystal's Massages in PV, and then splurging and swimming with the dolphins in Cabo!

You should really join our roll call! Lots of nice people, Happy Anniversary, see you on board!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are sailing on the Carnival Pride on Oct 19 for our 1 year anniversary!:D :D We are not looking to spend a whole lot of money so I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for shore excursions. In Cabo, I was planning on going to Melia resort. In Puerto Vallarta, I was planning on going to the Krystal resort. Any ideas for Mazatalan or any opinions on the excursions I am planning?

Congrats on your first year of wedded bliss. :p

You will be in Vallarta for 14 hours and, quite frankly, I can’t see anybody spending the entire day at the Krystal. Take some time to head downtown and see the city.

I would suggest you take a city bus or taxi to the far south side of Vallarta (aka Old Town) and slowly walk along the beach toward the north into the main downtown shopping/restaurant district. Along the way, you will have the opportunity to stop just about anywhere and sample the food & beverages at a wide variety of establishments. (menu prices are often listed in pesos. Do a rough 10:1 exchange rate in your head to get an idea what things cost in $ USD)

Do this in the morning so you can see what’s out there. Do the Krystal during the late-morning & afternoon and then head back downtown for a romantic sunset dinner.

This site will give you a general overview of the city and has very up-to-date maps. http://www.vallartainfo.com/

I would suggest you get yourself down to the “La Palapa” restaurant and start walking north from there. (lower left on this map) http://www.vallartainfo.com/south.html

Enjoy!

Congrats on your first year of wedded bliss. :p

You will be in Vallarta for 14 hours and, quite frankly, I can’t see anybody spending the entire day at the Krystal. Take some time to head downtown and see the city.

I would suggest you take a city bus or taxi to the far south side of Vallarta (aka Old Town) and slowly walk along the beach toward the north into the main downtown shopping/restaurant district. Along the way, you will have the opportunity to stop just about anywhere and sample the food & beverages at a wide variety of establishments. (menu prices are often listed in pesos. Do a rough 10:1 exchange rate in your head to get an idea what things cost in $ USD)

Do this in the morning so you can see what’s out there. Do the Krystal during the late-morning & afternoon and then head back downtown for a romantic sunset dinner.

This site will give you a general overview of the city and has very up-to-date maps. http://www.vallartainfo.com/

I would suggest you get yourself down to the “La Palapa” restaurant and start walking north from there. (lower left on this map) http://www.vallartainfo.com/south.html

Enjoy!

MSN-Travelers- great info. This is more my style. How long do you have to wait for the bus ( is it like the city; every 10 minutes, or suburb 1/2 hour) and about how much per person for bus ride, versus a cab ( for cab is there a certain color to look for; to get a good price).

I'm trying to do things on my own w/ out exersions ( well maybe snorkeling in cabo ). And you are right, it seems like we will be spending alot of time on this port.

I want to agree with what MSN stated. PLEASE do not spend your entire day a the Krystal. You will not get a true appreciation of the city. The bus comes a ton. I would want to say from the port, faster than every 10 minutes. Downtown, one can find a bus in any direction where you want to go within the minute. The bus is incredibly cheap. If i remember correctly, its less than 25 cents? All cabs are pretty much yellow. The white ones are for nuevo vallarta or sayulita. You really won't find those around too much. The average cab fair is about 5-8 dollars depending on where you're going. From the pier to old town, most likely around the 8 dollar mark. From the malecon to the pier, it will be about 4-5.

Plenty of things to do in PV for a little money. Simply relax, find a restaraunt, enjoy some drinks and people watch.

MSN-Travelers- great info. This is more my style. How long do you have to wait for the bus ( is it like the city; every 10 minutes, or suburb 1/2 hour) and about how much per person for bus ride, versus a cab ( for cab is there a certain color to look for; to get a good price).

I'm trying to do things on my own w/ out exersions ( well maybe snorkeling in cabo ). And you are right, it seems like we will be spending alot of time on this port.

BUS: Exit the port property completely (east toward the main road with the gas station on the SW corner). There is a city bus stop just north of the gas station. The run (race) at 5-10 minute intervals.

If you are going to “old town” you can take just about any bus that comes and is headed south. There are two routes, one goes to/thru downtown and will have a sign in the windshield that say “CENTRO” or “EL CENTRO”; The second route takes a by-pass around the city and goes directly to old town and will have a sign in the windshield that says “TUNNEL”. If going to the main downtown shopping district, take a CENTRO” or “EL CENTRO” bus. The cost has just gone up to 5 1/2 pesos per person (roughly 55 cents US). The return would be on any bus that has WALMART or SAM’S on the windshield. They take US currency but do not take US coins.

TAXI: Exit the port property completely (east toward the main road with the gas station on the SW corner). Look for a bright yellow city taxi. The city taxis charge per cab ride with up to four passengers. City taxi rates are regulated by zone with a zone boundary at the river between El Centro and old town. Rates have gone up since I was there last November. I have been told that the rate from the port to El Centro should be in the $4-5 USD area. Continue on into old town and the fare goes up another $1-2 USD when you cross the river. (Do not take one of the white or cream colored taxis inside the port itself. They charge per person and a higher rate.) At any rate … the fare from the port to old town should not be more than $8 USD.

On some rare occasions, a taxi driver may try to charge more than the set rate because he will think you are “just a stupid cruise ship” tourist. Always agree on the rate before you get into a cab. There are roughly 1,000 city taxis out there. If you think the driver is trying to rip you off, walk away and talk to the next guy.

Getting back on the bus can be a bit confusing. I would take the bus down and taxi back.

Enjoy!

Archived