Stamford brisbane?

Am investigating nice hotels for the night before we cruise next year, and have managed to get a price of $250 per night at the Stamford in Brisbane. I just have a few questions -

how easy is it to get to portside from there?

what is the hotel like?

would I be better looking somewhere closer?

Thanks Rach

Hi Rach, depends on which day you travel as to how easy it will be, you will need a taxi ride - only 10 minutes on a good run. Stamford has a good reputation. Weekend traffic is OK as is off peak hour during the week; other times double the time. To my knowledge there are no equivalent hotels within walking distance of Portside, may as well spoil yourself with hotel and taxi. Public busses drop off close (search Translink site for city to Portside options) Will ask my son who lives and plays in the city for more info and get back after our cruise this weekend. You will probably get excellent advice from other CC's who have done it before. Regards G & H

Am investigating nice hotels for the night before we cruise next year, and have managed to get a price of $250 per night at the Stamford in Brisbane. I just have a few questions -

how easy is it to get to portside from there?

what is the hotel like?

would I be better looking somewhere closer?

Thanks Rach

Hi Rach

You will be happy with the Stamford (more correctly Stamford Plaza). It is perhaps the only decent hotel right on the river. It is a class hotel and is used a lot by Directors etc of Cricket Australia - and they only travel 1st Class !!! Others such as the Hilton, Sofitel, Sebel etc are more towards centre of CBD (although rates at the Sebel are very good). Royal on the Park is not far away but it is further from anywhere.

Only real alternative closer to Portside is the Riverview hotel at Breakfast Creek but its location is neither one thing or the other. With baggage you would probably still need to catch a cab to Portside (est 1.5 klms) and you would lose any opportunity of looking around Bne city precinct.

From the Stamford you could also consider catching a Rivercat. Closest pickup point to hotel is at Eagle St Pier which is just around the corner. Drop off is Bretts Wharf at Hamilton where it just a brief stroll to youir ship.

In any event its a good move to stay overnight in Bne before cruise....removes any anxiety about getting to ship on time.

Cheers

This is the one Jenny (cloakndager) and Karen (icemaiden) stayed at last cruise and it is walking distance to portside. Karen said it's 4 star and they were quite happy with it from what I understand. It is not Stamford style, but as far as convenience goes it's a great location.

http://www.airolodge.com.au/

Brisbane Riverview Hotel, This one claims to be the closest full service hotel to portside, it is a bit of a walk though in my way of thinking, maybe a couple of kilometres or more. It is nearer to the Albion race course

http://www.viewhotels.com.au/p2_rv.asp

Archived