Anyone have experience with this raft...?

ncmomof2

41JSFDYBXaL._SS400_.jpg51nszLQ8J3L._SS400_.jpg41QqWU7-amL._SS400_.jpg

and more info here.

I just ordered one for my kids (mostly my non-swimming 4 year old) and I'm hoping I didn't waste my money!! :o I also wanted to point it out to others as a way for little ones who want to snorkel and see the fishies but just can't swim well enough yet.

Glad somebody's on the same page as me!! I sure hope it works... I figure it wasn't that much money if it flops!

Michele, I'd say I'd let you know how my 4yo does with it, but you're cruising before me! So if you do get one, could you let me know how it works for you?

Glad somebody's on the same page as me!! I sure hope it works... I figure it wasn't that much money if it flops!

Michele, I'd say I'd let you know how my 4yo does with it, but you're cruising before me! So if you do get one, could you let me know how it works for you?

You got it. :D

I used this snorkeling raft and also the the jelly sea snorkeling window for my 7 year old:

http://www.isnorkel.com/category-exec/category_id/195/nm/Snorkeling-rafts

They both work fine. I first tried them out at the snorkeling area at Chanakaab, Cozumel. The water was a bit choppy and my son was nervous. I also put a snorkeling vest on him just in case. We used the raft first, and then the jelly window. The jelly window is easier to use when they have a vest on. There were some big fish in the ocean. My son said a huge one with teeth swam between his legs and he wanted to go to the pool instead.

He was much happier snorkeling in the pool at Chanakaab, even though there wasn't anything to see. I had gotten a child's dry snorkel for him, but it was a bit too short. My adult dry snorkel worked much better for him.

On subsequent trips since then (where there are no large scary fish) I just let him use the jelly window. I put a rope on the jelly window, and tow him with his snorkeling vest on. The smaller cheaper jelly window works better for me- less to carry and quicker to blow up.

Happy snorkeling!

That looks really neat. We got snorkle sets, at costco, this past summer for the kids to practice with before our cruise. The oldest 3 did great with them but our 4 year old, while she can do it, spent most of the time having me put it on then take it off then on them off over and over. Got old very quickly:cool: So this might be a good option for her. Even though I had to order hers online and it was almsot double the price of everbody elses, cuz she had to have the bag like the big kids:rolleyes:

Now you guys have me very interested in this. I have a DD9, DS7 and DS2. DD swims well and could probably be taught to snorkel, but DS7 is just getting to the point where he is ok where he can touch and does not swim on his own yet. DS2 of course does not swim. I think this raft would be perfect. Wish I could get away with the jellyfish as it's cheaper and more portable and easier to fill up I suppose. I don't think my DS2 could use it though. How did you tie a rope to it, did you bring your own? Does anyone know if Chank has infant sized life vests?

On the raft there is a sturdy plastic ring at the top near the front (you can see it on the photo) for tying a rope.

On the jelly window I tied the rope to the handle that the child holds on to.

With the rope I was able to tow my 7 year old to where the fish were and manuever the raft or jelly window so he could see.

My son tried snorkeling in the ocean but it was hard, even with a smorkeling vest. Some water would leak in his mask and it was difficult for me to fix it when we're in deep water.

Thanks!!!

helencw: I thought about the jellyfish, but since my DS doesn't swim at all and doesn't even like to get his face wet in the slightest, I decided the raft that he could lie on would work better. Too bad, because the smaller one would be so much easier to deal with.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We're back, but unfortunately, the waves were too big for snorkeling, so these rafts never got used. Hopefully someone else has a report to give us.

OK, Michelle, you're up next -- did you get one? Otherwise, I'll report back about mine in about 6 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Michelle...Did you get one, did you use it, and if so, how did it work?

OK, Michelle, you're up next -- did you get one? Otherwise, I'll report back about mine in about 6 weeks.

I received mine in the mail about a week ago and we cruise 3/16. I'll report back when we return.

BTW- It's for DS(4) and I'm counting on DD(5) being able to snorkel on her own. She was great in the pool!

These look awesome! Dh, dd and I will definitely be snorkeling, so if ds can't quite get the hang of it, these look like great alternatives to be able to include him in the fun!

Thanks ncmom and helencw for the pics and links, and I'm looking forward to everyone's reviews.

• 4 months later...

Pulling up this old thread to see if anyone can give feedback? My 6-yo has autism and has just learned to swim, so I have my doubts he will be ready to snorkel with his face in the water by October. I can't decide between the raft and the X4. We have a pool at home so we can practice before go. Help??!! :)

• 6 months later...
Any reviews yet? We're getting ready for a second cruise and haven't used ours yet. Hoping they work for snorkeling in Grand Cayman.

I'll be taking one to the Caribbean next week for our toddler, and will let you know how it went when we get back. It seems pretty sturdy when we "practice" in the tub :).

Archived