First timer on Queen Victoria-leaving from Australia 20/02/2009

shazz56

We booked yesterday for the biggest cruise of my life! What do i need to take? Just how formal is this cruise? We are sailing from Sydney, Australia to Singapore...28 days in total.

What are the laundry facilities like? Do i need to take detergent? (i am being practical) How much for a load of washing?

I have only ever sailed once before on a 4 night cruise from LA to Mexico and return, so i still count myself as a newbie.

Are alcoholic drinks (eg a glass of wine and beer) expensive or duty free prices?

Do we take Australian $ for tipping?

I might be sounding like a miser, but i like to spend my hard earned $ wisely and on important stuff..like retail therapy!!

Upon reading a few reviews i am a bit concerned that maybe this ship (is this the correct term?) isnt as good as the QE2.

I have a million and 1 questions...but this will do for now!! LOL

Oh well.... 6 weeks off work will still be a good holiday!

We booked yesterday for the biggest cruise of my life! What do i need to take? Just how formal is this cruise? We are sailing from Sydney, Australia to Singapore...28 days in total.

What are the laundry facilities like? Do i need to take detergent? (i am being practical) How much for a load of washing?

I have only ever sailed once before on a 4 night cruise from LA to Mexico and return, so i still count myself as a newbie.

Are alcoholic drinks (eg a glass of wine and beer) expensive or duty free prices?

Do we take Australian $ for tipping?

I might be sounding like a miser, but i like to spend my hard earned $ wisely and on important stuff..like retail therapy!!

Upon reading a few reviews i am a bit concerned that maybe this ship (is this the correct term?) isnt as good as the QE2.

I have a million and 1 questions...but this will do for now!! LOL

Oh well.... 6 weeks off work will still be a good holiday!

shes a fabulous ship, the public rooms are beautifully decorated and the ship handles really well. Ive just been offerred a really good deal on this sector as well and am sorely tempted, but have booked for 2010 and dont know if the pennies will stretch that far again!.... as for your questions....yes she is formal, day dress is smart wear, the evenings will be specified in the daily programs..washing machines are free..(and the laundry rooms are hysterical if you have a sence of humour) .detergent is readily available. Booze is reasonably priced., a marguaritta will set you back about $us6, a champagne in the champagne bar is about $20, The todd english restaurant is a bargain at $30 for dinner and dont forget to try the alternative venue at the back of the lido (free but you have to book, limited tables available) I wouldnt get too heated up about the tipping. You will of course do the automatic tipping, ($11 per day) which is charged to your onboard account, so if you want to tip extra Australian currency is fine, you are on the world cruise so the crew will be used to being tipped in allmanner of currencies.

Dont be put off by the negitive reviews...as I said in mine., it is typical of a lot of people who write reviews that they like to complain anyway so it gives them an outlet. Most of the people I came across on the world cruise this year loved her.

If I dont see you onboard., go with an open mind and few preconceived notions and youll have a terrific time.:D

Hi from tam58

We have travelled the Sydney to Southampton on QM2 in 2007 and are booked on the QV Southampton to Fort Lauderdale then onto QM2 to Sydney ( we are from Perth ).

The QV & QM2 use US dollars.

You give them you credit card details when you board and each time you make a purchase they take your cabinet number from your cabin card and add the cost to your account including the $11 a day tip each also the cost of any shore excursions you go on.

You can check your account on the TV in your cabin it has a key board attached.

The laundry and the detergent are free as already said but people guard the washing machines and driers so you may have trouble getting in to use it.

Any other question I am happy to answer if I can.

The ship is very formal a Tux usually every third night, a suit and tie every third night and informal is a suit or jacket without a tie the other night but it adds to the atmosphere.

Oh you lucky thing....if only we had some money left we'd go to...

Just back from cruising the Eastern Med on QV and loved every minute of it.

DON'T be put off by the fact that is is "formal". I really stressed out about it before I left, as we lead a casual lifestyle but trust me, it can be easy! You do have to dress for dinner (Britannia restaurant) and take note of the formal nights but my husband just wore his black suit with a bow tie and he blended in. I wore dressy black pants and different tops to suit the style of the formal. We came back one day quite tired from touring and had dinner in the Lido in our casual gear and nobody said a word (or cared).

However pack super light!!! We took way too many clothes, although do include a wrap/pashmina/jacket as the a/c in the restaurant and occasionally throughout the ship can be quite cold.

The ship is fabulous as is the staff who are very friendly and efficient (with the exception of some of the staff on the purser's desk who were quite abrupt).

Don't plan on using the laundry unless you want to spend a LOT of time there. The laundry is situated at the forward end of the ship so if your cabin is aft as ours was you spend at least 5 minutes getting there only to find that there is a queue. There are only 3 machines and 3 dryers and only 1 iron/ironing board on each floor. My tip is - travel light, spend big dollars getting shirts pressed and be prepared to handwash items in your cabin. There is a small drying line in the shower and lightweight items will dry overnight. Just use some of the shampoo - don't take w/powder with you as you will have a problem at the airports. I definitely hated spending my holiday time in the laundry although it was a great place for conversation. Times must be a-changing as once I was the only woman surrounded by 3 men washing and 1 man ironing!

Don't feel you have to tip - we didn't. Unless of course somebody does something outstanding and you feel the need but it's up to you.

We thought everything (drinks, spa) on the ship was expensive (but we don't get out much) - if you don't lose your head it's ok. You can also ask the desk for a printout of expenses so you can keep track. I recommend you have a massage - excellent!

Have fun!

Archived