Did you read?????

newbie2cruise

November 1, 2004

Second Carnival Ship Flunks CDC

Carnival's Fantasy is the line's second ship in a few months to fail the Centers for Disease Control's twice-annual Vessel Sanitation Inspection. Fantasy, which recently scored an 83 (86 is passing), follows Carnival Pride; the latter vessel had also failed with an 83. Carnival Pride has since passed the mandatory re-inspection required of all ships that miss the passing grade with the proverbial flying colors -- the ship actually achieved a perfect tally of 100.

On Fantasy's part, big deductions came in food service areas -- particularly in cases of potentially hazardous food temperatures and damaged galley equipment, ranging from cracked glasses and plates to fridge and freezer thermometers. Its most eye-catching offense occurred in the ship's meat preparation and buffet areas. According to the CDC's report, "numerous roaches were observed ... the roaches were in various stages of development."

The ship will face a mandatory re-inspection and, according to a Carnival spokesman, "corrective action was immediately taken regarding all of the various items noted during inspection and this information has been submitted to the CDC." The spokesman noted that this was the first time in a decade -- and some 83 inspections -- that Fantasy has scored less than a passing grade.

I think that it's safe to say that some heads will roll over this one and they should. There is no excuse for this at all. Carnival needs to go back and look at their training program and also the lack of follow through crew and management.

I do have to say that it does happen on other lines though. Back in September of 2002, I was on RCI's Majesty of the Seas and the roaches were so bad in the Windjammer Cafe that they were crawling on the walls in the buffet lines and also on the windows near the tables and chairs. Also back in 1994 while on the Seabreeze of the then Dolphin Cruise Line, we saw many of the small German roaches all up and down the stairwells. Also at dinner one night, the waiter was filling our water glasses and out comes a dead roach from the pitcher. :eek:

I think it's safe to say that the Fantasy will now be one of the cleanest ships sailing the seven seas after this fiasco. I can only imagine the cleaning taking place at this time.

Archived