Children Traveling with one Parent.

canary1974

Hi Everyone,

I know this has been discussed before but.......

We are getting closer to our cruise date. 11 day's away actually.

I am traveling with my new husband and my two girls. Me and my husband have passports.

My daughters however do not, I know it's not mandatory right now but it still makes me nervous because.......

Both my daughters have different last names. One has my maiden last name, and the youngest has the last name of her father.

I have both there birth certificates, and Social Security cards.

My oldest her father is not even on the Birth Certificate, and my youngest father I know need's to write the notarized letter saying it's ok for her to travel to the bahamas with me on a cruise.

By the way anyone have a generic copy I can see.

I am so worried that we will have a hard time in customs because none of our last names match. Even though my maiden name is on both there birth certificates. I don't go by that anymore, I am not even sure it's on my passport.

I even went to our states DMV today to get them picture I.D.'s so that that it would show there home address is the same as mine on my license.

Am I worrying for nothing.

Anyone else have a similiar situation.

Thanks

Carey

Hi Everyone,

I know this has been discussed before but.......

We are getting closer to our cruise date. 11 day's away actually.

I am traveling with my new husband and my two girls. Me and my husband have passports.

My daughters however do not, I know it's not mandatory right now but it still makes me nervous because.......

Both my daughters have different last names. One has my maiden last name, and the youngest has the last name of her father.

I have both there birth certificates, and Social Security cards.

My oldest her father is not even on the Birth Certificate, and my youngest father I know need's to write the notarized letter saying it's ok for her to travel to the bahamas with me on a cruise.

By the way anyone have a generic copy I can see.

I am so worried that we will have a hard time in customs because none of our last names match. Even though my maiden name is on both there birth certificates. I don't go by that anymore, I am not even sure it's on my passport.

I even went to our states DMV today to get them picture I.D.'s so that that it would show there home address is the same as mine on my license.

Am I worrying for nothing.

Anyone else have a similiar situation.

Thanks

Carey

I think I'd call Carnival, but it's not like entering the country via customs... it's pretty laid back. I don't have passports for my kids yet, either... I'm not too worried. Call Carnival, they should be able to answer all your questions right away!

I have never been asked while taking my son on a cruise for "the parental" letter but did when I took him to Mexico, via plane, for his 16 birthday. They asked for it and I am the only one listed as a parent on his birth certificate. When they realized that they said "Oh OK". So you should not have a problem with DD#1, you should have a notorized letter for your 2ndDD. I believe this only applies to Mexico though, but I would have one just in case. Have a good cruise. Ask your TA/PVP for a copy of the letter.

We are travelling with a friend who is bringing her 2 DD's (ages 5 & 9). She is in the process of getting a divorce. Our PVP told her that she needs the letter more coming back into the US than she needed it to get off the ship in Mexico. She said that a copy of the custody agreement would go a long way also.

I have full custody of my daughter. She actually see's her dad every other weekend. He live's 2 hours away. But, we got a divorce 8yr's ago in another state and I don't have a copy of those papers anymore. Mostly because he and I have always gotten along so well, after the divorce of course. LOL:rolleyes:

I know I might get chewed out but I took my son with me and my new Dh on a cruise in August. We had NO problems at all no one ever asked one question of me or DH ( I am black he is white).. I had a letter all prepared from my darling Ex husband( NOT) but never needed it. Gonna use same letter when we go to Mexico in December. I don't think I will have any problems. I have never heard of anyone being questioned.

I know I might get chewed out but I took my son with me and my new Dh on a cruise in August. We had NO problems at all no one ever asked one question of me or DH ( I am black he is white).. I had a letter all prepared from my darling Ex husband( NOT) but never needed it. Gonna use same letter when we go to Mexico in December. I don't think I will have any problems. I have never heard of anyone being questioned.

You may want to check the requirements on dating of this letter and whether it will still be valid,,,

Especially when dealing with Mexico,,,,,and ESPECIALLY if flying,,,,it might just be easier to get a new certified letter if talking to the darling x NOT is bearable for that long,,,,simply for the peace of mind,,,

Holly

If you do a search on 'travel with minors to Mexico' you will see that there is a Mexican law that requires you to have a notarized form if you are traveling alone with children (divorced or not.) This law has been in place for many, many years. If in doubt, check travel.state.gov. Not a requirement for visiting any other country yet (again...don't take the info the well-meaning people give you on these boards for granted [myself included] as laws change all the time)...

The form has to be specific - like what dates you are traveling, etc.

After reading everyone's responses I have one more question. Have any of you had a problem because your last name is different from your children's last name. On both of my daughter's birth certificates it states me as the mother, under my maiden name. That is not my last name anymore on my passport. How do they know that you are the same person.. Sorry but this is really bugging me.:confused:

Thanks

Carey

Different last names will not matter; if there is any question (and there usually is not) they will pull the girls aside and ask them if you are their real Mommy. The fact that you have obtained ID cards for them is helpful. If you still are going to worry about this bring your own BC in addition to your passport; this shows your maiden name which is on both of your daughter's BCs as the mother.

P.S. Leave the SS cards at home; they are useless for identity purposes and are just one more thing you don't want to have to keep track of.

After reading everyone's responses I have one more question. Have any of you had a problem because your last name is different from your children's last name. On both of my daughter's birth certificates it states me as the mother, under my maiden name. That is not my last name anymore on my passport. How do they know that you are the same person.. Sorry but this is really bugging me.:confused:

Thanks

Carey

I don't think you'll have a problem with different last names. Immigration officials will mostly probably ask your kids who you are and that will be sufficient to establish that you're their mom (assuming, of course, that your kids don't deny knowing you are...:D )

I was a single mother until recently and have been traveling with my son since he was a newborn. I have sole custody but my son's last name is different from mine. I've crossed U.S. borders by car, plane and cruise ship numerous times. I've been asked to produce custody papers only when crossing the Canadian border by car, otherwise, they just ask me whether I have permission from his father and I've answered that I have sole custody. From the time my son was about 2 years old, they would simply ask him who I was and that was that.

Take a notarized letter of permission from the one father who is on the birth certificate -- unless you have sole custody, in which case, custody order will be sufficient.

Btw, there is no need to take Social Security cards. They don't document anything of interest to Immigration.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

I have full custody of my daughter. She actually see's her dad every other weekend. He live's 2 hours away. But, we got a divorce 8yr's ago in another state and I don't have a copy of those papers anymore. Mostly because he and I have always gotten along so well, after the divorce of course. LOL:rolleyes:

Obtain copy of your divorce decree from your old state. You could find yourself in one hell of a mess.

My husband and I will be taking our grandson, his mom (our daughter), and his step-dad on a cruise for New Years--never even thought about this problem. Glad you brought it up, and to my attention. I called our PVP, and was told that the only time our daughter would be asked for anything would be at embarkation. Although it would be doubtful that they would be asked, since he will have a passport, and we will not be going to Mexico, he sent me a Carnival form for her to fill out and have the father sign. It does not even need to be notarized. Does this seem like correct info?

I have stressed myself over this enough.. I finally came to the conclusion of..........You can never have to much information. I guess my biggest concern is you never know what kind of mood the person checking all the birth ceritificates, passports, ect. is going to be in, and what they may ask you for.

I just know I didn't want any problems getting our butt's on the ship..:rolleyes:

Archived