Question About La Romana, Dr

N&J

I know I should be posting this in the port thread, but not much activity there.

We are going to La Romana, DR on Splendor leaving in 30 Days :D. I would like to get some feed back on any good excursions etc.. what we can do. Need your help.....

Thanks

Nanette

Haven't been on a cruise ship there, but on a land trip maybe 12 years ago we went to Altos de Chavon (sp?). It is an artist's colony with a cool amphitheatre and was a very interesting day trip. Don't know if there are tours...I think we just took a taxi from our hotel. If you google it I'm sure you can get lots of info.

Does any one know if the cruise will provide you with a day pass to Casa de Campo (sp??) etc...

Since there is not much can you buy a day excursion to Casa de Campo I know it not on our shore excursion list, but I just wanted to ask and see.

Thanks

Nanette

It has been years since we have been there, but it was on a Carnival cruise.

At the time, there was not much at the port except a taxi dispatcher.

This is one of those ports where the taxi driver stays with you the whole time. The taxi driver was from Cuba and spoke little English...but he knew where we wanted to go and how long we would be gone and the cost.

Everything was fine.

We can't do excursions, so we got the taxi through the dispatcher and went to the Artist Colony for an hour....looked around. Then came back. We have a special needs son so that is about all he could do at the time.

There is a "famous" golf course there ...so lots of folks were going to play golf. And others were spending the day at the local resort.

Other than that..I can't remember much.

There is a "famous" golf course there ...so lots of folks were going to play golf. And others were spending the day at the local resort.

I believe the course is called Teeth of the Dog, although I'm not a golfer so I may be wrong.

La Romana was our favorite stop on the Paradise in 2004. We did a speedboat excursion where we boarded some fun (and fast!) speedboats, visited the Natural Swimming Pool (a vast expanse of really shallow, crystal-clear water), fed some pirhanas, and visited a gorgous, unspoilt beach. There was also rum punch and tour of the area. Great time!

I believe the course is called Teeth of the Dog, although I'm not a golfer so I may be wrong.

La Romana was our favorite stop on the Paradise in 2004. We did a speedboat excursion where we boarded some fun (and fast!) speedboats, visited the Natural Swimming Pool (a vast expanse of really shallow, crystal-clear water), fed some pirhanas, and visited a gorgous, unspoilt beach. There was also rum punch and tour of the area. Great time!

I knew it had the word DOG in the name...but I could not remember what it was.

We were there on the Paradise as well...in 2004.

We were there last January. (arrived at Noon, spent the night in port and left the following evening) We walked into town with several other couples only to find that there wasn't a lot of shops that were oriented toward tourists. (lot of people trying to sell you drinks, beads, cigars, etc...) On the 2nd day we went out snorkeling on an 80 ft Catamaran to an Island just out of port - we had a good time and saw a lot of fish (they had several guys in smaller boats baiting the area to lure fish in for the people snorkeling).

I was on the Destiny in January. We stopped at La Romana and did an overnight in port.

It was awesome!

Day 1: We went took a taxi to a little beach about 15 - 20 minutes away... (Dominicas Beach?)

Day 2: We went back to the beach and took a boat over to a little island. Carnival also had excursions going over to the island.

The water and beaches were awesome!

I'm going to attach some pictures. The first 2 are on the mainland, the 3rd is of the small island as we got near shore. PS the snorkeling around the island's old pier cement pilings was awesome!!!!

:-)

IMGP0823.jpg.1c5f6d09dd587dce2f4b233c069ca29e.jpg

IMGP0829.jpg.cdab4f870be8d49c59d6f191e97858a5.jpg

420092243_IslandParadise.jpg.45998d6037bf0414e54331cf93c1d28c.jpg

Has anyone done the Bayahibe Beach Break excursion offered by Carnival? Which resort is it at? We leave in 3 days and I can't find recent info or reviews on this excursion.

Please be sure to give feedback on your stop there. We are really interesting in finding out whether most of things can be done on our own without much trouble. For example, how easy is it to just hire a taxi past the dock to take us around the island and different places.

Thanks in advance

Archived