Anchorage Attractions?

Ken076

Myself & Wife will be in Anchorage for a Saturday after disembarking in and transferring from Whittier. We're looking for suggestions for attraction(s) in Anchorage and recommendation for hotel(s) near the attractions. Thanks, Ken

Check out the Anchorage's Visitors Bureau site at www.anchorage.net

This should help you with your planning.

We have a great weekend market that's downtown on Saturdays and Sundays - http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/main.html

There is also the Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net/

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks to AkSusan and sym1966! I checked out anchorage.net - very helpful site!!! The Native Heritage Center looks like a winner - do you happen to know if there's any kind of shuttle service there from Downtown?

Which (if either) of the two downtown Museums would you recommend wrt Alaskan history/culture? Which of the Downtown Hotelsthat are easy walking distance to the Museums would you suggest?

thanks,

Ken

Thanks to AkSusan and sym1966! I checked out anchorage.net - very helpful site!!! The Native Heritage Center looks like a winner - do you happen to know if there's any kind of shuttle service there from Downtown?

Which (if either) of the two downtown Museums would you recommend wrt Alaskan history/culture? Which of the Downtown Hotelsthat are easy walking distance to the Museums would you suggest?

thanks,

Ken

Yes the Native Heritage Center has a shuttle. Here's the link to the page but this is the 2008 schedule as it will probably be spring when they do the 2009 http://www.alaskanative.net/en/main_nav/plan_visit/ but it should stay close to what it was this year.

I've only been to the Anchorage Museum at the Rasmussen Center http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/ I really enjoy the Alaska Gallery http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/galleries/alaska_gallery/alaska_gallery.aspx

In regards to hotels I really can't recommend (I do let people know if they are around things, or maybe the neighborhood isn't the best) but if you wanted the closest to the above museum those would be the Clarion Suites and the Extended Stay Downtown.

The closer ones to the Downtown Market are the Hilton, the Ramada, the Howard Johnson's, the Anchorage Grand and the Anchorage Historical.

Susan,

**I'm sorry...I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to send a PM to posters.**

It's great to hear from a local! We're going to be in Anchorage July 9-11 so we were going to try to make it to the market on Sat. That's the same day we'll be taking the bus to Talkeetna where I hear they're having a festival. Have you been to that festival too? Do a lot of the same vendors go to both?

Thanks!

Kristin

Since you live in Anchorage could you tell me if the downtown Days Inn is a central location for attractions? It is on 5th street. Not sure after reading reviews on line. Is this a place we would want to stay?

Thank you in advance.:)

Also consider a B&B, there are many in ANC and they are much less expensive than hotels and motels. We stayed at Arctic Fox, a few minutes walk from the Weekend Market. But there are many others in the city, check www.tripadvisor.com for traveler ratings. FYI the market is very interesting but small. Allow 1 hour for a good look, 2 hours if you power shop.

Unfortunately, many of the museums and attractions close at 5 or 6pm. The Visitor Center and most downtown shops and restaurants stay open. There's also the Tony Knowles Trail, Ship Creek, and the Ulu Factory store.

Will you have a car?

Susan,

**I'm sorry...I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to send a PM to posters.**

It's great to hear from a local! We're going to be in Anchorage July 9-11 so we were going to try to make it to the market on Sat. That's the same day we'll be taking the bus to Talkeetna where I hear they're having a festival. Have you been to that festival too? Do a lot of the same vendors go to both?

Thanks!

Kristin

Most of the vendors are local and very small so they usually can't be in two places at once so I'm thinking if they're in Anchorage they won't be in Talkeetna. Can't help on the Talkeetna Festival as I've never been.

Since you live in Anchorage could you tell me if the downtown Days Inn is a central location for attractions? It is on 5th street. Not sure after reading reviews on line. Is this a place we would want to stay?

Thank you in advance.:)

I haven't read the best reviews on the Boards in regards to the Days Inn but then a review is only that person's opinion.

I wouldn't consider the Days Inn a central location. It's down 5th between Denali and Eagle. The main downtown area is basically 3rd and 7th and C and H. So you'd be looking at 8 to 10 blocks to get from the Days Inn to the start of the shopping and restaurants. In regards to restaurants the only one in the area is a Country Kitchen or the Sheraton which are both right across the street.

I haven't read the best reviews on the Boards in regards to the Days Inn but then a review is only that person's opinion.

I wouldn't consider the Days Inn a central location. It's down 5th between Denali and Eagle. The main downtown area is basically 3rd and 7th and C and H. So you'd be looking at 8 to 10 blocks to get from the Days Inn to the start of the shopping and restaurants. In regards to restaurants the only one in the area is a Country Kitchen or the Sheraton which are both right across the street.

Thank you. That is what I was finding on line, I appreciate you confirming it.:)

Archived