Tropical Transatlantic Dec 7th

Hi there,

Please excuse my "newbie" questions, but we have just booked this cruise as a "late deal", and no, I won't annoy those amongst you who unfortunately booked early, by telling you just how little we did pay - but it was a steal!:D

However, not having cruised with Thomson before, I hope someone will be kind enough to answer a few of my questions, though I am sure they will have been asked many times before.

How many formal nights are there on a 14 night cruise and what kind of clothes are generally worn? I am a P&O cruiser, and have really enjoy the "dressing up" aspect. Obviously I do not expect a Thomson cruise to be as formal as a P&O one, but we would like the opportunity to dress up a bit! And what about the other nights please? It will be very hot in the Caribbean I should think, but I hope people do still make an effort and dress for dinner. With only 25kg luggage allowance, I am going to have to consider my clothes carefully. I am one of those women who takes 3 cases when departing from Southampton! I can fill one case just with my shoes!

Is it correct that tips are included on Thomson? I am used to the P&O tips system, but I am sure the Thomson staff would appreciate a little more, as a thank you for outstanding service, always supposing that it is correct that tips are included?

What happens to your luggage after we exit the plane at Lisbon, prior to embarkation? And what happens on the return home?

Also, any must sees or must do's while on Barbados, Antigua, Tortola, Dominica, Catalina Island or the Dom Rep? I am very familiar with Lisbon and Madeira, so that's OK. I know this may sound strange, as I am going to the Caribbean, but I don't really like "frying in the sun", as I am blonde and fair skinned - I just burn! So what else is there to do on the islands and can anyone advise on interesting trips please?

I have heard good reports on the food and entertainment, and I am not expecting a very luxurious cabin, as long as it's clean and has a comfortable bed, but a friend who has been on about 10 Thomson cruises told me the pillows are rubbish, and to take my own! As this will take up a lot of room in my case, I am hoping she is exaggerating!

Sorry for the long list of questions, but hopefully some kind person will be able to help me with some answers. Thanks very much.

Regards,

Bella36.

Welcome - I hope you enjoy the Thomson experience and I will be interested to hear of your impressions on your return.

Usually there is one formal night per week - one of which is the Captain's Gala Night. If you scan these posts you will find that we have differing experiences of dress code. I would say that in all but one recent (one week cruise) it's been between 50 -75% DJs and of the rest mainly lounge suits. In the documentation, Thomson do indicate that formal wear is encouraged for these occasions. Other nights, it's smart casual - most men in smart trousers and button-through shirts (although short sleeve shirts are common - perhaps will be even more so for a Caribbean trip). Ladies do dress up for the formal night and it's true to say that everyone in the main dining room looks as though they have made some effort for the evening meal. Smart trousers/tops/dresses - definitely not beach-wear anyway!!!! Although you always get one or two who don't seem to understand 'smart' - however, it's a much better dress standard than we recently witnessed on an American ship which admittedly was billed as 'dress as you like - formal or not - and almost everyone was 'not'!!.

I usually find taking a nice pair of trousers suitable for wearing in the evenings with several pretty tops goes a long way with the luggage allowance. I've also collected a number of very light-weight 'floaty' type dresses which weigh almost nothing so that helps a lot too.

Yes, tips are included with Thomson prices but I think it's true to say that the friendly service and atmosphere on board leads most of us to tip individually too. We always tip the waiter and his assistant and wine steward (in the main dining room if we have the same ones all holiday) also the cabin steward simply because they do such a great job of looking after you and making you feel special. But it is entirely a personal choice.

We haven't left from Lisbon but I'm sure the procedures will be the same as those at other ports. You collect your luggage from the carousel at the airport then go towards the exit where there will be Thomson reps to direct you. They tell you where your coach is (close-by) and you take your cases to the coach and the driver will load them in the boot. When you have been transferred to the dock, your luggage will be lined up and you report to the checking-in desk. They will give you an envelope with some sticky labels printed with your cabin number. You stick those on your luggage and then board the ship with just your hand-luggage. The luggage will be taken to your cabin for you.

On the return, you leave your luggage outside of your cabin door before an appointed time (say 01.00) on your last night and just keep what you need for travelling/toiletries in your hand luggage. Your cases will have coloured tags according to your flight home. On the day of departure - you have full use of the ship (meals etc) during the whole day until your flight time. (None of this kicking you off at 08.30 like some lines I've read about irrespective of your flight time.) When your colour is called you disembark, identify your luggage from the organised group of cases with your colour code - take it to the coach to be transferred to the airport. At the airport you will reclaim your luggage from the coach boot and proceed as you would in any airport terminal to check-in taking your cases with you.

Yes, your friend is right about the entertainment and food - as for the cabins, they are kept immaculately clean although they are a bit on the small side with mininal drawer space (compared with Spirit/Celebration). Still, hopefully you will be enjoying yourself far too much to spend much time in there! The last two trips I've been on (Destiny and Celebration) I've found the pillows too hard/big and asked the cabin steward for a thinner pillow which I found suited me very well. You can always ask to try a different one.

Sorry I can't help with the destinations - it's one Thomson trip I haven't yet done - but await with interest to hear of fellow travellers opinions and perhaps I will be lucky enough to pick up a bargain too! ;)

JUst had a thought - if you're on a b2b there will be a Capt Gala Night each week ('cos the passenger complement will change). It's on a two-week trip that only one of the formal nights will be Capt's night - but people dress up all the same for the second one.

Hi Kruzseeka,

Thank you so much for that very informative reply! You have helped a lot in my crucial "packing decisions". I am sure we will enjoy our Thomson Destiny cruise very much. I don't think it is a B2B though, probably more of a repositioning cruise, I think, though I may be wrong.

Is anyone else flying from Cardiff? That's another great advantage for us, as usually hardly any fly cruises depart from Cardiff. Well done Thomson and can we have more please???

Anyway, just 6 weeks to go, and then it's Rum Cocktails and sunshine all the way! Can't wait!

Regards,

Bella36.

You're very welcome - and just think, if you enjoy your trip you have all the Med itineraries and Adriatic/Aegean to sample flying from Cardiff!! I know what you mean about regional airports though - it's such a bonus when you can fly from close to home. We can't pick up all the itineraries from our local airport either, so I do empathise.

Hi Kruzseeka,

Thank you so much for that very informative reply! You have helped a lot in my crucial "packing decisions". I am sure we will enjoy our Thomson Destiny cruise very much. I don't think it is a B2B though, probably more of a repositioning cruise, I think, though I may be wrong.

Is anyone else flying from Cardiff? That's another great advantage for us, as usually hardly any fly cruises depart from Cardiff. Well done Thomson and can we have more please???

Anyway, just 6 weeks to go, and then it's Rum Cocktails and sunshine all the way! Can't wait!

Regards,

Bella36.

Hi Bella,

Just to confirm, it is a repositioning cruise to the caribbean hence the 6 day sail from Madeira across to Barbados.

We've sailed for the past 7 years with Thomsons from Cardiff and I do believe that flights are available for other cruise lines.

Have a great cruise !

HI BELLA

Will be really interested to hear your review as we are doing the reverse cruise ( carribean - palma ) in April 2009 .LIke you Im looking forward to dressing up a bit !:) So you can give me an uptodate fashion review when you return ( please )

Hi EH1,

I am already agonising about what to leave behind! On our P&O Ventura cruise in September I took 3 BIG cases, and even then I wasn't happy.

I will most certainly give you a "posh frock" review on my return though! I do really enjoy putting on the "glad rags" - we don't get that many opportunities now, do we? The men look so handsome in their DJ's too!:)

Regards,

Bella36.

HI

Looking forward to that ,don't want to be out shone he he . no dj for hubby though he is taking his kilt !! which we have just weighed at 3.7 killos for the full outfit so he'd better not complain about the weight when lugging my cases!( and there will be a few)

Hi EH1,

I sympathise entirely! I just took a look at the shorts I wore in Australia last September - and they won't do up! :(

Oh well - just over 38 days to go! It is low fat soups for me then, for the next few weeks. Too cold for salad!

Is it snowing in Scotland? We had a few flurries in Wales today, but it didn't settle. Freezing cold though! Roll on the sunny Caribbean!:)

No snow yet, just lots n lots of rain will soon be able to sail from our front door if this keeps up ! I'm soo jealous, you are going so soon really looking forward to your review but that wishing your holiday away so i'll just try and be patient:rolleyes:

Hi everyone

We are off to the Caribbean on Destiny in January - so would love feedback from Bella36. Would love to know who the Cruise Director is and also the entertainment staff. We have been on the Celebration and the Spirit several times each so if we can answer anything, just get back in touch. Think we might have a problem with my husband's kilt too - always take it for formal night but 25kg (and the kilt etc. takes up most of that) will be the lowest luggage allowance we have ever had.

Have told him that he might have to wear it to travel in - failing that, he can pop it over his trousers while we get checked in! So if you see anyone looking rather odd at Manchester airport on 11th Jan next, it just could be us!

Incidentally, you may have seen from another thread, we were on the Celebration last weekend when 'A Taste of Ireland' was cancelled! We did really have a good time and we'll dine out on the tale for years. Also Thomson have promised vouchers to the value of 80% of the cruise price so not too unhappy at all!

slhw

Hi slhw,

I will most certainly do a mini review of Destiny's Caribbean Cruise when I get back, for you and EH1 to read (and anyone else who's interested of course!). It may well be after Christmas though, as it will be a bit of a rush for me to organise Christmas dinner for 10, when I don't get home until Dec 22nd! We may all be having sausage and chips, if I am very jet lagged! I am glad we don't have to pack a kilt though, I need to put all my shoes in that case! Men DO look handsome in kilts however, so I hope there are some kilt wearing Scots on my cruise!

On another topic, are people going to the Caribbean aware that there is an outbreak of Dengue Fever there at present? :( At present it is mainly concentrated on the island of St. Maarten, but that is very near to Tortola and Antigua, where the Destiny is going on my Tropical Transatlantic cruise. Dengue Fever is endemic in this area. It is characterised by "flu" like symtoms, fever and joint pain. There is no vaccination available for it. It is transmitted by the dreaded "mossie bite" so the best protection is a "high deet" insect repellent (at least 50% deet), so please everyone, make sure you buy some and use it!

Apart from that - really looking forward to my first Thomson cruise! Have been with P&O before, so I know this will be different, but Hey - that's what life is about! I am most definitely not one of the classic P&O "moaners"! I was ready to throw the next person who said that "Ventura isn't like Oriana" overboard, when I went on the absolutely fab Ventura in September! :D I really loved her! But yes- she is HUGE!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone going on Tropical Transatlantic

Hope you all have a brilliant trip - can't wait for your reviews - long and detailed please!!! We're off on the 11th Jan so will be waiting eagerly to hear everything!!!

Bon voyage!

Sandie

Hi, has everyone else received their tickets for this cruise. We are flying from Manchester Sunday morning and Going Places has just informed us (after chasing them for over a week) that we will have to have our tickets on departure at the airport. I am a bit put out because we booked this cruise in April and had paid in full by 1st September. We havent been told the up to date flight times, how soon we should be at the airport before departure or anything.

Hi Mrs Wellington,

Yes we do have our tickets, but we are flying from Cardiff so can't help on flight timings etc. On our tickets it says arrive 3 hours before flight, but they always say that don't they! I would say leave yourself a little extra time to queue at the Thomson desk to get your tickets, because you won't be alone in having to pick up your tickets on departure!! Then you will have to queue to check in!:(

Apparently Thomson have had a problem with their ticket issuing service, so I think a lot of passengers will have to do the pick up at the airport thing. The baggage allowance is 25kg in the hold and 5kg hand luggage.

Sorry can't help much, but why not give Thomson Customer Services a ring, if you have any really important issues?

Only 2 and a half days to go!:D Yippee!

Hi Mrs W,

If it's of any help, we booked and paid last November (2007) and the tickets arrived today !! This after phoning Thomsons last Monday to find out where the tickets are, only to be told they'd arrange for me to collect them from the Thomsons desk at the airport.

As Bella suggests, you should arrive at least 3 hours before departure to give yourself time for any eventuality. The weather seems to be the biggest problem at the moment !

Spoke to a friend today who'd just come back from a caribbean cruise, she had a tan to die for and the weather is beautiful and the water is warm and I was jealous of her tan and she was jealous of us going out there, touche !

Mrs Swerve has packed and she'll definately have to unpack and put a lot of her stuff in my case. I'm sure suitcases were not meant to bulge out two feet each side :rolleyes:

Here's to a great cruise :D

Archived