Izmir, Turkey What should we see?

We have already done Ephesus and are going to be docked for one day in Izmir. What should we see? Is the bazaar as good as the one in Istanbul?

Is it safe enough to do Izmir on our own. How far is the city from the port? Are there other sites nearby that we should see,should we put together a tour?

Thanks

I'm in a similar position & was hoping some-one with some experience would come along with some tips and ideas. However, I am willing to share my research so far.

I had thought I would stay in Izmir but have now realized we will be there on a Sunday & am not sure of opening hours etc and suspect the bazaar will be closed, so I think I will book a tour further afield.

As far as I am aware it is about 25 minutes walk along the sea front to the clock tower/bazaar area. Otherwise, there will be taxis & local transport at the port. I also believe there is a local ferry from near the port to the clock tower.

In Izmir itself there are museums, Ethnographical, Archeological, an Agora open air museum and a small train museum are a few. Kulturpark offers a park with a zoo, a fair and a theatre. There is a bird sanctuary or you could take a cable car to thermal baths & barbeque picnic area at Balcova. Perhaps you would just like to try a haman. Further afield there are beaches and a castle at Cesme or the other way, the villages of Sirence and a steam train museum at Camlik.

Here are some sites I have bookmarked which you could perhaps dip into & find something of interest.

http://forum.kusadasi.biz/thread11931.html

http://www.balcovatermal.com/defaulteng.aspx

http://www.ad-mart.co.uk/turkish_bath_in_izmir_for_cruise_passengers_and_visitors_to_izmir-o250823.html

http://www.gofethiye.com/turkiye/izmir.asp

http://www.izmirturizm.gov.tr/default.asp?L=EN

http://www.turkeyrealestate.co.uk/Turkey-Aegean/Izmir/Izmir-Historical-Sites/izmir-historical-sites.html

http://en.arrivalguides.com/guide.php?dest=IZMIR&lang=en

I would gently remind folk that Izmir is a big commercial town with limited 'tourist' appeal.

(And I have been there!)

I would suggest that you arrange with a local taxi company or tour company before you travel and consider the following options:

SOUTH OF IZMIR

SELCUK (pronounced SELL-CHUCK) - about 90 mins south ....... Ephesus, the Virgin Mary's House and St John's Basilica

SIRINCE (pronounced Si-ri-chay) - about 20 mins inland from SELCUK - a pretty village with good local wine, but EVERY house is a shop, and I found it very stressful because I didn't want to buy tacky things and I arrived - by car - at about 9 am before the tourist coaches arrived!!

CAMLIK (pronounced CHAMLICK) - the train museum, where you can climb all over them or see Kemel Ataturk's private train - including the bathroom!! - is set in beautifully kept grounds. It's about another 20-30 mins south of SELCUK. There is a nice restaurant there, also a pottery, where you can see traditional pottery being thrown and decorated ......... though the cynic in me thinks that once the visitors have passed, the workers go on an extended coffee break!!

NORTH OF IZMIR

About an hour north is the village of BERGAMA, also known in antiquity as Pergamon. There are splendid ruins above the town (the car park is only about 100 m away) and in the town there are carpet weavers and the Red Basilica. The old part near the Red Basilica is very traditional with interesting local shops and relatively few tourists. There is a good archeological museum - compact and not too overwhelming.

Have a lovely trip!

Thank you Alsacienne.

Funnily enough I have just received a quote today for a tour to the Virgin Mary's House, St. John's Basilica and onto the train museum. We have visited Mary's house before, but as we will be there on Easter Sunday I am trying to arrange for us to hear mass there first. Your post has confirmed to me that as I suspected, I probably wouldn't be happy with Sirence and the train museum area sounds much nicer than I originally thought. :)

All this info and only one day in Izmir. What's a gal to do? I love antiquities and shopping. Which is the best place to do both?

This is our only stop in Turkey and it will be on a Friday. I had my heart set on the bazaar and maybe a half day tour of Izmir.

Such choices!

Thanks, now I have to get busy. We leave for the cruise on the 28th.

Stevie

We have already done Ephesus and are going to be docked for one day in Izmir. What should we see? Is the bazaar as good as the one in Istanbul?

Is it safe enough to do Izmir on our own. How far is the city from the port? Are there other sites nearby that we should see,should we put together a tour?

Thanks

Izmir is safe to do on your own. Ny husband's family is from Turkey, and I hired a private guide. Told him what we were looking for, and we were taken. He was great--Sinan Tortum, I think was his name--google him. We went about 2 summers ago on the Carnival Freedom. We were picked up on time, and d-livered to the port. He took us to the bazaar--I don't think we'd have been able to find it or navigate it by ourselves. Also a small fishing village, the clock tower--. We were very surprised at how CLEAN Izmir is. The Turkish people are very hospitable. There's not much in Izmir--maybe he'll put together something for you--we like "local color"--so we went to the markets, etc., had tea, etc.

Izmir is safe to do on your own. Ny husband's family is from Turkey, and I hired a private guide. Told him what we were looking for, and we were taken. He was great--Sinan Tortum, I think was his name--google him. We went about 2 summers ago on the Carnival Freedom. We were picked up on time, and d-livered to the port. He took us to the bazaar--I don't think we'd have been able to find it or navigate it by ourselves. Also a small fishing village, the clock tower--. We were very surprised at how CLEAN Izmir is. The Turkish people are very hospitable. There's not much in Izmir--maybe he'll put together something for you--we like "local color"--so we went to the markets, etc., had tea, etc.

My family ancestry is from Turkey. When are you going? We've been talking to Sinan also! :eek:

Archived