Liberty Review 10-25-2008

rick&james

Carnival Liberty Review

History-Me and my Partner have done 8 cruises all with Carnival been all over the Caribbean and try to cruise twice a year

Embarkation-Wow it was wonderful to have the VIP Embarkation we arrived at the port around 1130 and was on the Ship Around 1200 it took us only 30 minutes max from the time we arrived at the port to be on the Lido Deck Eating Lunch.

Ship- The Liberty was in excellent Shape the ship its self was only three years old so there is not much to be old on the ship but it was Very clean and the only thing I can tell is that the funnel had a fresh paint job and the Lido Restaurant, the Cruise Director Steve said it was replaced with a non slip material due to the accidents that have been happening in this area there were several things changed due to injuries during the dry dock. Also everything I mean every that had paint on it was repainted it looked brand new it was awesome, also when we got onboard they where replacing several of the panels on the Video Screen.

Suite- 7278 the room was more than I ever expected I was so happy with the space In this room, the extra room for the storage of clothes and places to place souvenirs was awesome. The Balcony was huge enough to fit about 6 to 8 people. We invited some of our fellow cruise critic members to our room and there where 9 of us and there was plenty of space I would really suggest a Cat 11 for a family of 4 of 5 there is plenty of space. The Bathroom has BIG there is a double vanity with a tub with jets and shower I did use the jets and its very relaxing :0).

Service- Our Stateroom Steward was awesome Phil he was in our room and cleaned twice a day and we never had to ask for anything to be done in our room he was GREAT, the best we have had on all 8 cruises. Our waiter Cavin from India and his assistant Adrika from Indonesia where the best service we have had we had a table for two in the Silver Olympian Dining room with our Maître D Miguel he was quite the character. Everywhere else was a little shaky especially the guest service desk they were very short and rude at times regarding some concerns. Our Cruise director was Steve and assistance James they where a great team and the morning show they was a highlight they where so funny together and you can tell they enjoy working with each other.

Weather-was unfortunate a issue it rain every day but to be expected during this time of year you take that chance when you cruise during hurricane season but besides rain it was very windy.

Cozumel We did the Tulum tour and wow another great adventure, we did the Myan ruins on our trip to Belize a few years back so we were very excited because we heard this was better. To Get to the ruins you have to take a ferry to the main land and the ride was very bumpy, so if you want to go and don’t do good with little boats in a big ocean you may have a problem. The ruins are absolutely wonderful the site itself is huge there’s lots to see their way better than the site in Belize (Altun Ha). After we got back from out tour which was about 7 hours of our day we came back to Cozumel and did some shopping at carnival newly built puerta mya pier and it’s very nice lots of shops and a three restaurants did not visit but heard they had nice food and drinks for a reasonable price.

Grand Cayman We were unable to go to this port due to the wind as you remember I advised the wind was where strong for the whole trip and this day was the only sunny day that we had so it would have been a nice day to go ashore but the tenders tried to come out and park on the side of the ship but after several attempts the Captain called them off and we left for Jamaica and the announcement was made that we would be receiving a 20.00 credit per person, I was not very happy with the compensation but happy I got something was more unhappy with the way the pursers desk handled my inquiry about the compensation guest service reps where not sorry in any way with the missed port basically saying tough luck it happens sometime and said you got back your port charges so enjoy the day @ sea on the ship with no pool or slide being open to enjoy……I work in customer service for T-mobile for 6 years and understand you can’t always make the customer happy but a good empathy statement can go a long way even though you have no control over the situation that’s all I wanted out of the situation and will contact customer relations about the situation. WHICH IS MY RIGHT TO DO SO

Jamaica We did the Sky Explorer and Jamaican Bobsled this was a awesome tour and a new one. You start by going up a Sky Lift 700 foot to the top of a mountain where there are shops a museum about the history of Jamaica and a pool and a slide to enjoy. The Bobsled is like a rollercoaster is goes down the mountain a good ways at high speeds it’s so awesome. After the Bobsled we went back to downtown and did some shopping at the shops and then there was a big downpour so we slipped over to margitaville and ate some Jerk Chicken. After the rain stopped we went back to ship to head back to Miami.

Debarkation We where VIP debarkation so we got tags number 1 and when they called out number we went down to the lobby and quickly got our bags and went through customs it took a matter of 15 minutes better than the Fascination in May it took about 1 hour , this biggest different is there is two lines one for passport guest and the other was for ID and BC that line was a lot longer so I would suggest getting a passport it will save you time getting on and off.

Overall we had a great time will problay not cruise during this time of the year again usaualy we cruise around mid November and in the spring had to go earlier due to Ricks work schedule.Since this is # 8 for Carnival may give another cruiseline a try just to get a new experience. Been wanting to try RC Freedom Class,anyone experienced both and wants your take???????? between Conquest Class and Freedom class and overall diffrence in the cruise lines.......

I do have a few questions for ya.

1. What time did you board the ship and disembark?

2. Who was the cruise director?

3. There has been a discussion on the boards about no fruit punch on certain ships. Was it available on yours?

4. Did they give you extended time in Jamaica or an alternative port since you missed Grand Cayman?

Hope you had a great cruise.

I do have a few questions for ya.

1. What time did you board the ship and disembark?

2. Who was the cruise director?

3. There has been a discussion on the boards about no fruit punch on certain ships. Was it available on yours?

4. Did they give you extended time in Jamaica or an alternative port since you missed Grand Cayman?

Hope you had a great cruise.

1. We got to the Port around 1130 and was on the ship around Noon went down to the lobby to get off around 800 and was @ the airport by 9

2. Steve cant remember last name hes canadian short wears glasses and bald

3. No fruit punch just lemonade and tea

4. No addtional time in Jamaica or any other port

Did you do the self-assist disembarkation? It sounds like you did the regular disembarkation where you left your bags out the night before. I was trying to get a idea of when they started letting people off the ship.

Thanks

Nice review!! We did the Liberty in summer 2007 and were fortunate enough to make the port/tender at Grand Cayman. We also had Costa Maya in our itinerary (one of the last ships there before the hurricane).

Glad you had a nice time!!

Hello Rick & James: do you have any photos of the room you were in? I will be in a cat 11 as well. I have seen some photos of this room on other ships. We will be just down from the room you were in, 7282. Thanks for the great review. I looked daily for your on ship reports. I even started a thread " Rick & James where are you?" You should check it out. Some sent me photos of Rick James...LOL

With only 20 days to go, I think we are going crazy. We are looking forward to going on the Liberty and I am glad to read the responses on a Cat 11 cabin. We just upgraded last week from a balcony to a Cat 11 - Cabin 7262. The idea of boarding VIP is nice compared to previous cruises. Does anyone have good pics of the Cat 11 room?

our cruise was the last of the regular two double dining times but the configuration in the golden olympian dining room was all 2 and 4 seating we ate in the silver olympian dining room which had the normal 2 and 4 and 8 dining configuration

You have a choice either the open or the regular but you cant go back and forth still will have the regular two dinner seating but the open seating will go to the golden dining room and request a seat and they will give you a buzzer to alert you when your table is ready from what i was advised by Miguel the Maitre D.......i think i spelled that wrong lol

1. We got to the Port around 1130 and was on the ship around Noon went down to the lobby to get off around 800 and was @ the airport by 9

2. Steve cant remember last name hes canadian short wears glasses and bald

3. No fruit punch just lemonade and tea

4. No addtional time in Jamaica or any other port

Steve Knisley.

RIck and James ,

DId not see yo the entire cruise. We had a great time. DId run into a few from the meet and greet from time to time.

My room is 7282 which is not far from where you were. Were there any kind of issues with noise or foot traffic. When you were in port did the port side of the ship face the ports each time? I loved the pictures of the room you had. They were very re-assuring as I have been having bad dreams about the looks of the ship as well as the room.

Archived