Eurodam cabin selection advice

myr seashell

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the differences between the VF cabins and the VD cabins on Holland's Eurodam? I understand that the VF cabins have steel railings and the others have plexiglass, but other than that, is there a difference? We are trying to decide on which to book, and would appreciate any feedback on these types of cabins. On our last cruise we booked an aft cabin on Celebrity Summit, and were really happy with the HUGE balcony we had, and were wondering if there were any cabins in the VF or VD class which had larger balconies or other features which might make them more interesting...

We are going on the Eurodam Nov 15 and have been looking at the ship for a couple of months now. The main difference between a VH, the lowest level balcony cabin and a V which is the highest level, is LOCATION in the ship. Some of the balcony cabin evidently have solid balcony railings as opposed to the plexiglass most of them have. If you look really closely at the ship diagram on HAL's web site they are marked.

As far as size of the cabin and the way they are outfitted all the balcony cabins are basically the same until you get to the suites. I have seen posts on the HAL board about people who booked the aft balconies on the Eurodam and were disappointed that they weren't as big as some other ships. On the plans they look bigger than the other balconies but again that may be deceptive. There are a few cabins, I think they are are VT class, which have what I would call a "romeo and juliet" balcony. The balcony is big enough to go out on and stand but not big enough for chairs.

Again go to the HAL web site and study the plans to see if you can find any cabins in the class you are looking for that look like they have a larger balcony and if you find one and book it be sure to let HAL or your TA know you DON'T want to be upgraded. Otherwise you can lose your selected room and end up in a higher class cabin just because it is located on a different deck or nearer the center of the ship.

Here is a web site that has good deck plans and other information on the Eurodam.

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/eurodam.htm

Have a great next cruise.

VD cabins have the deepest balconies of any of the verandah cabins (with the exception of the stern VA's) They're almost twice as deep as the VC's (supposedly a higher category :rolleyes:)

BTW: Wwinfl91 is correct Eurodam stern cabins aren't as deep as those on the Vista class ships (Eurodam is the first Signature class). Those who are complaining (with good cause) are those who booked SC and SB stern suites months before deck plans were available. They were promised the cabins were virtually identical to Vista class ones, where the suites are significantly smaller (60% of the size) than a regular SA suite, but the balcony is much larger. The cabins remained small, yet the balconies shrunk by 50 - 75%!

Super special VD cabins to try to book are VD4166 and 4168 (Upper Promenade deck, port, aft almost to the stern). Because of a crew stairway, these balconies are *twice as wide* as standard, in addition to being deeper.

On the plans the VD and VF balconies on the upper promenade deck look like they are the same depth. Is the difference the steel railings?

I can also see what you mean about VD4166 and VD4168. If those balconies are as big as they look to be then I will have to look at getting one of them in future.

Anyway thanks for your input and knowledge.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi,

Thanks for all those comments; it's really appreciated. Just one more specific question - if anyone has the answer - we would lilke to know if the VF and the VD balconies are the same size. We were thinking of booking a VD on the Upper Veranda Deck but find that there is a big price difference between the VF on the same deck as the VD that we have been looking to book. Are they the same, except for a steel railing? Any comments or feedback would be useful.

Yes, VF and VD are the same depth on Eurodam (not so on the Vistas).

However, those solid steel balcony walls are a deal breaker for me. While sitting down, you can't see anything. You must stand to get a view. Sorry - looked for a picture - couldn't find one quickly.

The forward VF cabins also tend to be *very windy*. (Maybe why they're solid steel, instead of plexiglass?) You may not be able to use a far forward balcony as much.

Fannish,

Thanks for sharing your observations...never thought about the 'windy' part of having a cabin towards the front of the ship, but it does make sense. We've chosen a VD cabin towards the rear of the ship - but were offered a VF on deck 5 (one deck higher) for a lesser amount. Seems as if the lifeboats would block the view if we were midship and wanted to look down to the water - have you seen the view from midship on deck 5?

It sounds like a beautiful ship, and we're very excited to sail on it - it's fun to research the various cabins in our price range (thanks to cruise critics' posts, we found a great cabin on our last cruise on the Summit, and were very, very pleased with it).

Thanks again!

Archived