san juan or ponce?

chefchick

my husband, 13 yo son & I will be arriving in PR on 12/25, two days before our cruise. I am in the process of researching hotels and am thinking about booking the Ponce Hilton (we will have a car) because I can get a oceanfront room for the price of regular room in San Juan. We just want to relax and enjoy a resort pool, eat, etc, so busy city life isn't necessarily a draw for us, but will we be "missing out" if we don't experience San Juan? I was thinking that getting out of the city might be nice. Any one have first hand knowledge in Ponce? What about the Hilton?

Are the people just as nice? My spanish is poor, but it is my experience that friendliness will get me farther than a phrase book anyway.

Any advice is appreciated.

Persoanlly, if this is your first visit to Puerto Rico then I would consider staying in San Juan. Ponce is around about 90mins drive from San Juan (unless you are actually flying into Ponce?).

There are several hotels that overlook the ocean in the Isla Verde / Condado areas (though it is Christmas season - which is high season here).

If you stay in the San Juan area, you can visit the following pretty easily;

Old San Juan,

Spend the day at El Yunque Rainforest and Luquillo beach (45min drive), Bio Bay at Fajardo or evening cruise over to Vieques Bio Bay from Fajardo (

moon phase is good for when you are here)

If you do decide on Ponce - the drive is about 90mins but straight forward and there are also plenty of things to see on the south coast of Puerto Rico

Hope that helps a bit

Hi,

Just a heads up that the area in and around Ponce did have storm damage and is still undergoing inspections, mostly in the outer areas. Phone service is probably ok in Ponce, but many of our reports say cell and air card is spotty. For us, I decided the extra transportation cost and indeterminate travel time would be less appealing than OSJ. Only my opinion because parts of the Southern area are truly beautiful. MY main interest is getting on the Summit. :)

Blessings,

Gail

Archived