Special occassion ....What to do?

We will be on the Celebration on the last full day of the colourful coasts cruise on my daughters 18th birthday. We are scheduled to be in Tenerife from 6.00am in the morning until midnight the longest time at any port.

I know she wants to go to the top of Teide in the cable car (having never forgotten the dissapointment of not being able to go years ago when she was three!) and also do some sun bathing.

We had hoped to have a celebration dinner in the evening but I am unsure if it would be better to arrange this on board as I have no idea of any decent restaurants ashore or even where we will be. On the other hand will the ship be like the marie celeste with everyone ashore.

What to do? Do the waiting staff make a big deal of special occassions. Should I for instance take some table decs balloons confetti etc myself.

My daughter has been making a big deal of this day and looking forward to it for ages( unlike my son who didn't care if he was 18 or 80 just another day to him lol) so I don't want to make a hash of it

I wouldn't have thought the ship will be deserted - some people will only just have arrived on the Tenerife day so probably won't be into disappearing ashore. The long port-time is for incoming flights some of which don't arrive until quite late. I don't remember it being especially quiet onboard in the evenings either in Tenerife or Madeira where they also have a late sail-away. No doubt some people have the evening ashore but I think that's a small minority.

Have you thought of dining in Zilli's for your daughter's birthday? I've heard excellent reports of the meal in there although I've not tried it myself. By all means take some decorations for the table, I'm sure the waiters will make a big fuss of your daughter - as long as they know, they will come and serenade her too! The social hostess on board will also offer celebration packages - of course there will be a cost to this but I'm sure they can arrange for a cake etc. - it might be worth considering.

Hope your daughter has a wonderful and memorable birthday and that all the family enjoy your cruise. :)

We dined in Zili's one evening and the waiters certainly make a fuss of you - we were serenaded and really made to feel special. The waiters also appeared several times with little 'tasters' courtesy of the chef. The food was lovely. Do take your own table decs and just hand them over before the evening. Zili's is only small and ideal for a special occasion. I can't think that you would find anywhere better ashore. I am sure that my daughter would have loved it but, as you say, sons.........................

Enjoy!

Sandie

Hmm thats a good idea especially considering she is sharing with me;)

I wonder if that works out more expensive than just going and getting one from the bar does anyone know. To date I have been sent very little info hopefully will get documents through soon.

I was quoted £32 for moet, or £37 for champagne and choc coated strawberries, I was told that by my travel agent and she could book for me, then it would be in the cabin on the day we get onboard

Will look out for you all

Well we should be pretty easy to spot my son is 6' 4" and me and my daughter will be the ones with our legs in plaster having fallen off our ridiculously high heels she has just persuaded me to buy:rolleyes::D

Failing that I will prob be doing my Meryl Streep with my red pashmina well if the cocktails are good i will lol. Lets hope we get good weather.

Archived