Advice On Getting To Cruise Terminal In Savona, Italy

caribchick

I need some solid advice and or directions on how to get from (GOA) Cristopher Columbo Airport- Genoa to the cruise terminal in Savona, Italy. I'm thinking the train would be my best option??? Please advise.

Thanks All!

Eunie

The following information is taken from the Costa US Web site:

For cruise guests arriving in SAVONA by train: Get off at the Savona train station. From here you can reach the port in 10 minutes by taxi (cost approx. Euro 15).

For cruise guests arriving in GENOA by airplane Guests who booked their flight with Costa Crociere will be met by our representatives after exiting from customs. For guests who arranged their own flights, there is also a private transfer service in correspondence to flight arrival times, which should be booked in advance through your travel agent. You can reach the port of Savona by taxi at a cost of approx. Euro 80.

Here is the link:

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/Templates/Ports/Port.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bA9FF6832-B354-4A11-96CA-9B9C191CE8BC%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fB2C%2fUSA%2fbefore_board%2fPorts%2fDefault%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Ron

caribchick . I would be suprised if Costa do not have a transfer available from Genoa to Savonna, the towns are next door to each other.

As I just mentioned with the post from Kasi, I booked way last minute for Costa to help me out. I'm on my own trying to make the best decisions possible.

Eunie

The following information is taken from the Costa US Web site:

For cruise guests arriving in SAVONA by train: Get off at the Savona train station. From here you can reach the port in 10 minutes by taxi (cost approx. Euro 15).

For cruise guests arriving in GENOA by airplane Guests who booked their flight with Costa Crociere will be met by our representatives after exiting from customs. For guests who arranged their own flights, there is also a private transfer service in correspondence to flight arrival times, which should be booked in advance through your travel agent. You can reach the port of Savona by taxi at a cost of approx. Euro 80.

Here is the link:

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/Templates/Ports/Port.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bA9FF6832-B354-4A11-96CA-9B9C191CE8BC%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fB2C%2fUSA%2fbefore_board%2fPorts%2fDefault%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

Ron

Ron,

Thanks! I did happen to read this earlier today when I was on Costa's website. I'm not cheap, but the private transfer for people that did not book through Costa, as in my case is outragously expensive. I think over $200 US. The taxi would be over $101 US. I'll get it figured out.

Anybody else have any input keep it coming.

Thanks!

Eunie

No real input as I've never been to Savona, nor booked to travel from there, only passing on info I've come across on this site.

There is a fairly regular train service from Genoa to Savona, both regional and inter city trains. The regional trains are cheaper, the intercity trains are faster. I'll try & do a search & come back with an estimate of the cost, but I believe it is only a few euros for the regional..maybe 4, & perhaps in the region of 9/10 for the inter city. You will need to get the Nice train.

Perhaps you could get a taxi from the airport to the station in Genoa, and then another from Savona station to the port unless you want to walk. It is a straight road I believe, through the town, but about 1/2 km. It should be cheaper than a taxi all the way anyway.

Edit: Trenitalia site for train timetables and fares. (Put in Genoa to Savona)

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Genoa airport to the station..looks as if there is a rapid bus service.

Going around by bus is perhaps the best choice in Genoa. The VoloBus is a public bus service, and there are special tickets in accordance with the length of the period of time you intend to travel around during the day, week or the month. VolaBus runs from the airport to Stazione Brignole train station, east of the centre. The bus also makes a stop at Piazza Acquaverde (Stazione Principe), the harbour train station. Tickets can be bought on the bus. The Rapid bus link also runs to the main railway station the Genoa city centre every hour.

http://insurance.essentialtravel.co.uk/tg-europe/italy/genoa-getting-around.asp

I echo what Sparky says above. Either take a taxi or bus from Genoa airport (in case you are confused by any signs you see, the Italians spell it Genova!) to Genova Piazza Principe Station, about 10 to 15 minutes from the airport. From here there are frequent trains travelling west along the coast to Savona. It takes approximately 40 minutes.

From Savona station, take a taxi to the Cruise Terminal (Palocrociere). In February this year the cost was 15 euros, it may have risen since then. It's a fixed tariff from station to cruise port, not a meter, you can ask the taxi driver how much before you get in. Don't try to walk as it's at least three miles, not half a kilometre as stated elsewhere on this thread and you have to cross a steep pedestrian bridge if walking to the port - not advisable with luggage.

Thanks Everyone!

Orchardweb,

I'm gonna do exactly what you suggested. I actually put the pieces of the puzzle (so to speak) together earlier this afternoon. The scenerio you suggested is what I came up with also. Seems like the most economical way to do it. I'm only packing carry on as this is only a 3-night cruise. I'm also saying at a hotel right beside the Costa cruise terminal.

Eunie

Hi,

We sailed from Savona last Easter and stayed for a few nights beforehand in Nice. We took the train from Nice to Savona (and it was only something like 100 Euros for the 8 of us for a 3 hour journey so Genoa will be much cheaper). We then took the advice of someone on the board and walked from the station to the port. They had posted that it wasn't far (yes a bridge to carry the luggage over) and we all had cases on wheels. Well, we must have gone the wrong way as we didn't come to a bridge - and it was a long walk with cases. We wouldn't do it again!!!!!!

The funny thing was, we stopped at a bus stop outside the airport and asked a policeman the way to go. His reply was to take the bus from that stop but as we had read it was only a short walk and to lug 8 cases up the bus steps and down again, we thought no, we would walk. Bit of a mistake. I think we did a circle to get to the airport and the bus would have been great!

Tracey

PS we looked at trenitalia.com and got prices from that but it was too tricky to book online. We got the tickets from the station the day before we travelled. Our EC train insisted on reservations and gave seat numbers, we couldn't just turn up and book - but local trains can be booked there and then. Just look at the website and it will give you more info.

Don't forget if you are a post passenger of Costa, you need to let then know and can skip some of the queue in Savona. I forgot about this and waited for 2 hours! They give out numbers and you take a seat until your number is called. Nice terminal though.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Hello caribchick!

I was wondering how your cruise was and especially how your transfer to and from the airport in Genoa to the port in Savona went. Would you have any advice for someone who is also attempting to make the same Genoa-Savona transfer? We are tying to book a Costa Cruise at (sort of) the last minute and the transfer bit is a bit worrisome to me. We will be travelling with our three very young children (ages 6, 4 and 20 months). We are all veteran travellers (our two oldest children have already been to four continents!), but travelling with young kiddos makes the journey a bit more complicated. I would like to anticipate how much time we will need so that I can better make decisions about flights and hotel stays. Any information would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Archived