Help Please, San Pedro Hotels

bunky144

For those of you who have left your car at the Best Western Sunrise in San Pedro, does the parking area seem safe? Is is off street? Only 13 more days till we get on the Island Princess.

Thanks Joe

We have left our car there the past 6 years, as well as my sister and never had any problems. You fill out a form and leave the car keys with the front desk. When you return, you give the form to the front desk, they give you your keys, and away you go. It's very convenient, and our car has never been broken into, dinged or damaged in any way. Hint: As soon as you arrive, park your car and don't move it! If you can't find a spot to park, the hotel employees will take care of you.

Spoke to my TA, she suggested we stay near the airport and cab in the morning of the cruise, she said the airport area had more to do and the hotels would be better, any comments?

Are you driving or flying? Will you have a rental car? If you're driving, stay at a hotel near the Marina. If you have a rental car, will the rental car company pickup the vehicle at the hotel? Waste of time and $$$ to get a motel room near the airport if you're driving your own vehicle. The LA airport is about 20 minutes away. Don't take cab too much $$$$. You can get a shuttle formuch less $$$$.

Thanks Steve, great advice and yes Elliair we will be flying the day before, and my husband really does not want to drive in LA, I understand that the cab will be about $35US, because we are Canadian the price is alittle expensive however it is his birthday and if he would rather not drive it is worth the money, if we can afford the cruise we can afford the cab rides, I would like to stay somewhere where there might be a wine store though, thanks for the tips you folks are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I was wondering when you used priceline to book the Marina Hotel in San Pedro did you also leave your car there? I'm driving up from San Diego and wonder if they will charge extra if I leave my car there all week.

thanks!

Cabs are the most expensive but are dependable. Also Super Shuttle and Primetime Shuttle both access LAX and have door to door service however unless you use thier private car service it will be a shared van.

The nice beach towns between LAX and the port would be Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach.

Redondo Beach has a nice 3 star Crowne Plaza and a nice 2 1/2 star Best Western Hotel which is the sister to the Best Western Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro. These are both directly across from the harbor with several good restaurants and a nice pier.

Long Beach is about 7 miles further south from the port and almost equal distant to Marina Del Rey to the North. The cab ride from LAX to Long Beach would be a killer.

Using Priceline for San Pedro and bidding 3 stars for $48-$55 will all but almost guarantee that you will get the Marina Hotel in San Pedro. I have stayed here twice and am staying here again the end of the month. I live 29 miles from the pier but like to get a head start. If you like Hampton and the Hilton Garden Inn then this hotel will truly meet your expectations.

The Marina does not have a free continental breakfast but does have free transportation to the port and surrounding area for dinner.

The temps in Cabo south will be in the 70's and above.

Steve Hayes

Archived