Help Please, San Pedro Hotels

bunky144

Want to bid on priceline for the San Pedro area, cannot find that area on the priceline map, am I doing something wrong? Can you tell me what the Marina was like. Trip Advisor did not have good reviews on the Marina or Sheridan, any ideas for hotels near the cruise port. Will even take something like Hampton on SpringHill Suites Marriott, just not sure what is in the area. Will be cabbing from the Lax on the Friday and would prefer something close to cruise port. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Feb 5th Diamond

There are only a few right next to the Pier in San Pedro, We live locally and stayed at the Sonrise Best Western, it was clean and they had a buffet breakfast and a free shuttle to the port, you can see the ships come in the morning, across the street from the hotel is Ports of Call, they have really been working on rebuilding the area, we went over to Acapulcos Resturant at night and had happy hour and hung out, swam in the pool until around 10 pm, went to sleep and next day headed to the Port,

There are some really nice hotels in Long Beach, about 10 minutes away, but not sure if they have shuttles to both piers, (long beach pier - carnival)

good luck. BTW I booked directly with the hotel, just make sure you ask for SONRISE Best Western, weird spelling I know.

We stayed at the Marina(Hilton at the time) in 2002 and it was fine.It is isolated if you don't have a car but we were there 1 night precruise so it didn't matter.We ate lunch and dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent.To bid for San Pedro,enter it for the city wanted on the Priceline screen.It will than ask you which San Pedro that you want.Click on the San Pedro,USA and the Priceline map will come up.Then continue the normal bidding process.We got it for $50 last time.Good Luck

I've stayed at both the Sheraton and the Holiday Inn. The Sheraton is closer to the port than the Holiday Inn , however they are both nice properties and offer shuttles to the port. If you're lucky at the Sheraton as we were, you can get a room facing the channel the ships go in and out of. We were able to watch the Monarch of the Seas sail out at night (and could hear the music and partying at the Sailaway Party) and watched our ship come in in the morning. :cool:

I bid on Priceline and got the Marina for $60. Others have gotten it for less. From what I hear it's in the category of ok but not not great. I've also heard the Sheraton is nicer. But, with Priceline, you don't get a choice. The way I figure it, it's just for one night, they have their own restaurant which is supposed to be decent, and a free shuttle to the pier the next day. Good enough for me. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Lynda - the Mariana hotel had menus from local restaurants. They will bring you anywhere within a certain radius (5 miles I believe) and then pick you up if you don't want to eat at the restaurant. We did eat at the restaurant for breakfast before the cruise.

I stayed at the Sunrise Best Western before my Regal cruise last April. I booked it directly for $65/night. It's not luxurious but it was clean, close to the port and has the free shuttle. The shuttle does a round-trip every 20 minutes or so and is only about 5 minutes to the ship.

As a matter of fact, I believe it's the closest hotel to the port. There's a family-style restaurant right next door that was very inexpensive with great food. I had the best chicken Caesar's salad that I've ever had and a soda. With tip, it came to just over $10. I would go out of my way to eat there again.

Lynda - the Mariana hotel had menus from local restaurants. They will bring you anywhere within a certain radius (5 miles I believe) and then pick you up if you don't want to eat at the restaurant. We did eat at the restaurant for breakfast before the cruise.

Thanks, Coral. How was the hotel?

Lynda - I sent you an email.

The hotel was fine for a night's stay. I found the staff friendly and helpful and the courtesy van peple very nice. They drove us to the San Pedro Brewery for dinner, and picked us up an hour later and then to the grocery store to pick up some bottled water.

By no means is it a 3 star Marriott but for the money, it was fine and served the purpose of just spending the night before a cruise. I am not going to rave about this hotel but if I won it again on Priceline, I wouldn't be disappointed.

The hotel was supposed to go through a million dollar renovation since I stayed - hopefully it is looking good.

Coral and Lynda,

The hotel has completed the renovation is is now the Marina Hotel (It was the Hilton who managed it prior). I am staying there for the 3rd time 11/26/04 before my cruise.

They now have 2 vans vs 1 before. This will definitely help move the people quicker.

Steve Hayes

Coral and Lynda,

The hotel has completed the renovation is is now the Marina Hotel (It was the Hilton who managed it prior). I am staying there for the 3rd time 11/26/04 before my cruise.

They now have 2 vans vs 1 before. This will definitely help move the people quicker.

Steve Hayes

What cruise are you on, we are on diamond Princess 11/27???

Coral and Lynda,The hotel has completed the renovation is is now the Marina Hotel (It was the Hilton who managed it prior). I am staying there for the 3rd time 11/26/04 before my cruise.They now have 2 vans vs 1 before. This will definitely help move the people quicker. Steve Hayes
Thanks for the info. Maybe we will see you there. That's the same night we are there. Are you leaving on the Diamond on 11/27? If so you should check out our roll call; it has the most posts of any of the roll calls. Also, we are planning a meet and greet.

We always stay at the Best Western Sunrise. We ask for a room that faces the Marina so we can watch the ships come and go. We also get the package deal where we leave our car at the hotel while we are cruising. They have a couple of shuttles that will take you to the ship and we've never had a problem. The pool and spa are relaxing at the hotel. The marina shops across the street aren't anything to write home about, nor the restaurants. The coffee shop next to the hotel is good. The continental breakfast at the hotel is okay if you're into eating foods high in carbohydrates. Eat well in the morning in case there's a delay in boarding when you arrive at check in. One cruise we took, we were stuck waiting for over 4 hours! No food, no water! Carnival chartered busses to take people to the Marina to get something to eat. They gave everyone a $20.00 credit towards that meal. It was a grueling experieince. Also, if you left the building, security would not let you back in! We're sailing on the Diamond Princess in January--woooo whoooo!

Joe,

It is the parking lot used by the hotel on their premises. However, it is an open parking lot in which people can come and go as they wish. The hotel does not take any responsibility for any loss and makes you sign a waiver to that effect (At least a couple years ago when I last stayed there).

Steve Hayes

Bunky,

There are some nice 3 to 4 star hotels along Century Blvd and environs around the airport BUT this is not a nice area at all with only fast food and strip joints. As an example just drive from LAX by way of Century Blvd to I-405 and all of this will be visable. There is absolutley nothing to do around the airport EXCEPT for the exceptional restaurant at LAX called Encounters.

Now if you go 5-6 miles north of the airport you have nice 2 to 5 star motels/hotels in Marina Del Rey and Venice Beach. However, you will be about 30 miles from the port.

Steve Hayes

Spoke to my TA, she suggested we stay near the airport and cab in the morning of the cruise, she said the airport area had more to do and the hotels would be better, any comments?

Thanks for the tip, is there anything between LAX airport and San Pedro that might work? Hubby refuses to rent a car, so whatever we do we will cab the day before the cruise and then cab to the cruise port, I would prefer something in between that might have an area for buying our wine etc. Thought I would do the Priceline bidding thing but as I am not familar with the areas I could easily mess that up. I am not opposed to staying at something like Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn, something with a continental breakfast would be good, I do not have to stay at a 4 star hotel, would like something clean and not to far from the cruise port. Appreciate any feedback anyone might have. Also anyone know what kind of weather I might expect the first week of February in Cabo, PVR, and Matzalan?

Your folks are great and always a fountain of info, thanks again.

Cabs are the most expensive but are dependable. Also Super Shuttle and Primetime Shuttle both access LAX and have door to door service however unless you use thier private car service it will be a shared van.

The nice beach towns between LAX and the port would be Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach.

Redondo Beach has a nice 3 star Crowne Plaza and a nice 2 1/2 star Best Western Hotel which is the sister to the Best Western Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro. These are both directly across from the harbor with several good restaurants and a nice pier.

Long Beach is about 7 miles further south from the port and almost equal distant to Marina Del Rey to the North. The cab ride from LAX to Long Beach would be a killer.

Using Priceline for San Pedro and bidding 3 stars for $48-$55 will all but almost guarantee that you will get the Marina Hotel in San Pedro. I have stayed here twice and am staying here again the end of the month. I live 29 miles from the pier but like to get a head start. If you like Hampton and the Hilton Garden Inn then this hotel will truly meet your expectations.

The Marina does not have a free continental breakfast but does have free transportation to the port and surrounding area for dinner.

The temps in Cabo south will be in the 70's and above.

Steve Hayes

Thanks for the tip, is there anything between LAX airport and San Pedro that might work? Hubby refuses to rent a car, so whatever we do we will cab the day before the cruise and then cab to the cruise port, I would prefer something in between that might have an area for buying our wine etc. Thought I would do the Priceline bidding thing but as I am not familar with the areas I could easily mess that up. I am not opposed to staying at something like Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn, something with a continental breakfast would be good, I do not have to stay at a 4 star hotel, would like something clean and not to far from the cruise port. Appreciate any feedback anyone might have. Also anyone know what kind of weather I might expect the first week of February in Cabo, PVR, and Matzalan?

Your folks are great and always a fountain of info, thanks again.

Archived