help: binoculars 10x or 8x?

bmcc

Yes, just a pair of 10x42 SUMMIT and a pair 8x42 VISTA. You will be all set. I thought the summit are good enough (actually, they are excellent). So I don't know how much better it can get for doubling the price on ZEN.

good suggestion. we took our binoculars out at whale watching and could not believe how much more detail you could see with those binoculars

It rained at two ports during our cruise. We got a rain coat for $5 at the dock and the binoculars have been soaked with rain without any issue. To me, it seems necessary to have waterproof feature

we got 3-in-1 waterproof jackets off Amazon when it was on sale for less than $50. So the rain was not an issue for us.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm looking for a good pair of compact binoculars - something that would fit in a large pocket. I can't tell from the descriptions on the binocular sites what size they are. Help?:confused:

The ZenRay Vista 8x42 that I bought are about 5 3/4" high x 4 1/2"wide. The ones I bought came with a carrying case that has a strap that can be hooked to the two sides of the case and put around your waist if you wish. They also have a 1/2" wide neck strap. HTH.

The Vista is fairly compact for the amount of light it can gather. It is also light weight, which is a huge bonus for me. Of course, you can also look at some smaller binoculars 10x25. I personally feel I got eyestrain when try to center my eyes on the smaller glasses.

• 1 month later...
The ZenRay Vista 8x42 that I bought are about 5 3/4" high x 4 1/2"wide. The ones I bought came with a carrying case that has a strap that can be hooked to the two sides of the case and put around your waist if you wish. They also have a 1/2" wide neck strap. HTH.

My ZRS 8X42 was originally purchased for the cruise that never materialized. But it's been a great set to have during our recent trip through PacNW, especially on Washingston state ferries and looking for critters in Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainer, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
My ZRS 8X42 was originally purchased for the cruise that never materialized. But it's been a great set to have during our recent trip through PacNW, especially on Washingston state ferries and looking for critters in Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainer, etc.

Yeah, I used my ZRS 10x42 from our hotel room in Seattle to look at the Mt Rainier. I couldn't believe how much detail I can see from such a long distance. It is even better than the blown-up picture I took with 300mm telephoto lens.

• 4 months later...

All ships may not be the same, but we went to Alaska in early May this year on the Carnival Spirit. This ship uses six diesel engines for power, and you can easily feel the low frequency engine vibration through the ship, although some areas were worse than others. I'm quite sure it was the engines, not the props as there was vibration even in port. I used 10X binoculars and tolerated them, but they certainly were not ideal, unless you like watching a very giggly image. On land they are fine. So if you want max magnification hand held on land I would go with 10X, and if you think most viewing will be on the ship (and it was for us), then 8X would be a better compromise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
no, much less magnification, and narrow field of view. Worth bringing, but IMO not especially useful for wildlife observation.

We have a 8x20 compact binoculars. I never had a good experience with it since we bought it many years ago. That's why I am thinking getting a telephoto lens instead. Maybe something is wrong with that binoculars?

We have a 8x20 compact binoculars. I never had a good experience with it since we bought it many years ago. That's why I am thinking getting a telephoto lens instead. Maybe something is wrong with that binoculars?

8x20 binoculars tend to be dark, with a narrow field of view (unless you splurge for Leica ultravids, or similar brands, costing upwards of $500). You would be better off with a larger size (such as 8x42).

A telephoto lens is a GREAT thing to have, especially for wildlife, but does not provide the same viewing pleasure as binoculars...

Are the 2010 Zen-Ray Vista 8x42 a hunter green color? Do they offer it in black?

I was doing more research and it seems like the more compact and lighter Nikon Monarch 8x36 is more expensive than the popular and stronger Nikon Monarch 8x42. Has anyone had experience with the 8x36? Do you think it is suitable for Alaska and for stage shows in a dark room?

The thing stopping me from the zen-ray is its hideous color and that it's 24oz. I'm not sure how heavy my SLR camera is, but sometimes I never want to bring it out because it is heavy. The Nikons look so much cuter.

8x20 binoculars tend to be dark, with a narrow field of view (unless you splurge for Leica ultravids, or similar brands, costing upwards of $500). You would be better off with a larger size (such as 8x42).

A telephoto lens is a GREAT thing to have, especially for wildlife, but does not provide the same viewing pleasure as binoculars...

I understand this better now. It does make sense. Thank you.

Are the 2010 Zen-Ray Vista 8x42 a hunter green color? Do they offer it in black?

From the picture I saw, the 2010 VISTA 8x42 is black color

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista8x42.html

The ZRS 8x42 is green color.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd/zrshd8x42.html

What are the difference between these two?

I went with 8x42 ZRS HD. I think the compact size and better glass should be well worthy the small difference. But now I am wondering whether 10x is probably better for me? After reading this thread, I do know they are their own pros and cons. Just like choosing 200mm and 300mm lenses back a few years ago. lol

I went with 8x42 ZRS HD. I think the compact size and better glass should be well worthy the small difference. But now I am wondering whether 10x is probably better for me? After reading this thread, I do know they are their own pros and cons. Just like choosing 200mm and 300mm lenses back a few years ago. lol

That was a good choice. Either one should work. I personally prefer 8x better. Most of my binos are 8x: Elite, ZEN, ZRS HD. I think my next one will be Zeiss 8x.

it may sound silly. But is it ok to use the waterproof binoculars in the rain? I understand the glasses seal the internal compartment of the binoculars. But will rain do any damage on the external rubber? I treat all my camera, lenses very well. Just don't want mess up the optics when using it improperly.

Archived