help: binoculars 10x or 8x?

bmcc

You might want to try out these and see what you like. BUT if you are considering using them for marine wildlife, wide angle is necessary, and IF you are going to Denali Park, 10 power is better. :) In the past, there have been some very informative binocular posts, if the search feature is working, this will offer more information.

We each have 8x25 waterproof and fogproof binoculars made by CStar. I think I got them on line at Modell's. We also use them at football games, skiing, etc. While there is a tradeoff in magnification with the smaller ones, we like that they are compact and light.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

Power is an important aspect of binoculars, but you should also consider the objective lens size, the bigger the lens the more effective the binos are in low light. when you read 7x35, 7 is the magnification and 35 is the objective lens size.

also important is field of view, generally as power increases field of view decreases. but that is an oversimplification...

also consider if you will wear glasses when you use the binoculars. different models perform VERY differently with eyeglasses. there is a measure for that as well, called (i think) eye relief. that measures how far your eyeball can be from the lens and still see effectively. i use my glasses with binoculars and this is a really big factor for me.

also.... some are waterproof and some are not. in alaska this could be important.

and... how likely are you to drop them? better binoculars are often better shock proofed and more repariable than less expensive ones. many have 'rubberized' exterior that will soften a blow. and better ones are less likely to go out of alignment when they are dropped.

there are lots of web sites that sell good binoculars, i have had good luck with eagleoptics.com (and they are very helpful on the phone). another site with lots of choices is binoculars.com, but i dont know anything about them. for technical reviews of specific binoculars, optics4birding.com.

i have had quite a few pairs of binoculars, mainly for birdwatching. my preferences are 1)at least 40mm objective, 2) 7 or 8 power, 3) waterproof. be careful of 'compact' binoculars, they may be compact but generally have tiny objective lenses.

it is worth spending some time (and money) on, when you spot a grizzly in the distance you won't want to be frustrated by bad optics.

good luck!

steve

Something about 7X50 is the norm for marine use as they take the ship's movement out of play. As you get more powerfull lenses you will find that they are fine while on shore but less desireable while aboard ship. Frankly I would stay closer to 8 then I would 10.

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/

I just purchased the VISTA model 10X42 and it was 41% off! Plus another $10 for new customers.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Gail

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Zen-ray Vista and the Zen-ray Summit? Both are 10x42, both waterproof and fogproof, besides the price? :confused: I was looking at both and ended up ordering the Summit for the only reason that I didn't read the other carefully enough and am now wondering if I should order the cheaper pair and send the others back when they arrive. I would love some input!!!

Thanks~

I just purchased the VISTA model 10X42 and it was 41% off! Plus another $10 for new customers.

Gail

There is a $10 promotion for new customers but it's not really 41% off. The binoculars are only sold via the mfg website and, the "list price" is a meaningless number. They could just as easily show a list price of around $1000 and say it's 90% off.

I'm considering the zen-ray VISTA but there are virtually no reviews. It's not clear to me if the binoculars are similar to the equivalently street priced Bushnell binoculars or are similar to the Nikon Monarch binoculars which go for around $100 more.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Zen-ray Vista and the Zen-ray Summit? Both are 10x42, both waterproof and fogproof, besides the price? :confused: I was looking at both and ended up ordering the Summit for the only reason that I didn't read the other carefully enough and am now wondering if I should order the cheaper pair and send the others back when they arrive. I would love some input!!!

Thanks~

It was discussed before..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656182

There are few more great threads in the past that get us educated on binoculars selection

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=700476

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659210

We took Budget Queen's advice and got 10x power. We love the 10x zen-ray summit. They are way better than my DH's more expensive Steiner binoculars.

We had summit for over a year. We took it to our trip to Alaska. We had 10x. But some people find 8x better to reduce handshaking. From our experience, either one works out great for us. My brother just bought their new VISTA after hearing so much from me. It is obviously better than a couple of binoculars that are 2-3x more expensive. They have excellent return policy. We were planning to return it if it is not as good as we had expected. But they are GOOD and definitely are keepers.

You might want to try out these and see what you like. BUT if you are considering using them for marine wildlife, wide angle is necessary, and IF you are going to Denali Park, 10 power is better. :) In the past, there have been some very informative binocular posts, if the search feature is working, this will offer more information.

Budget Queen, yes, we are going to Denali in late May. It seems we should get a 10x binoculars.

Gail

Gail, thanks for the link. I read a lot of good review on zen-ray. We will definitely take a good look of it.

I've used binoculars most of my life. 7x35 wide angle, 7x50's etc.

And then I tried the image stablizer binoculars....what a fantastic thing.

Yes, expensive, but what a incredible invention. If you can afford these, get them. They are worth it. 12X - 18X - never mind the shaking.

Suggest going to a local sporting goods or camera store and trying a pair of 8x and 10x. Look across the street, down the mall, or at a distant object and be sure hand shake isn't an issue.

The other post mentioned the second number is the size of the lens....the larger it is the more "light gathering" power the binoculars have and the "brighter" the image is. As the magnification increases the lens size has to increase for the same brightness....the ratio is called "exit pupil". For example a 8x35 and a 10x42 will be approximately the same...a 10x35 is a lot "dimmer" than the 8x35.

Since 10x binoculars are longer to begin with, and the lenses should be larger diameter, this means 10x binocs are larger and heavier. Another thing to consider....

A good equivalent to Zen-Ray is Vixen. I consider Vixen better quality. Although both are made in China, the Vixens go through final inspection in Japan since Vixen is a very high-end manufacturer of telescopes with very high standards. Here's the main website for their US distributor in N.J. :

http://www.vixenamerica.com/StartPage/

The three models are to the right of the bird. I have the Alpinas and am very happy with them. Full disclosure, a friend is an optics rep and Vixen is one of his lines...but he does not directly benefit from sales and carries other binoc lines too. He feels they "best of class" in their category.

If you can spend $400-500, have a look at a pair of image-stabilized Nikons.

Last suggestion, go to a high-end camera or telescope shop and try a pair of $500+ binoculars. You won't believe the image quality and brightness and it will provide better comparisons in more basic models. Happy shopping!

I want to thank everyone for your input. After much research, we bought a pair of 10x42 VISTA (http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=207). It was delivered on Saturday (only 2 days! I am very impressed with their service). My husband took it out and declared it is the best binoculars he ever seen. For around $100, we are very happy for the choice. At 10x, I don't feel much handshaking at all, even with my relatively small hand.

I have both 10x and 8x binoculars. But my personal favorite is 8x42. Again, it is just my personal preference. Many other people have found 10x42 more comfortable to use. I use Bushnell Elite2 and zen-ray summit. They are both excellent binoculars with waterproof capability. There are several discussion threads on this board. It is worthy the time to read them before you understand how to choose a binoculars for your trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789940

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=550923

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659210

I want to thank everyone for your input. After much research, we bought a pair of 10x42 VISTA (http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=207). It was delivered on Saturday (only 2 days! I am very impressed with their service). My husband took it out and declared it is the best binoculars he ever seen. For around $100, we are very happy for the choice. At 10x, I don't feel much handshaking at all, even with my relatively small hand.

I got mine too! Order 2 pairs and from what I can tell...they are very nice. DH will get a pair for Christmas!

Happy Holidays to all!

Either 10x or 8x will work. Make sure you get a pair for each person. My husband spent a lot of time looking out on the balcony. You will see whales, a lot of shorebirds. During inside passage cruise, we were surprised to see many unique log houses on the shore through binoculars, which were not visible to our naked eyes. Enjoy your trip.

Either 10x or 8x will work. Make sure you get a pair for each person. My husband spent a lot of time looking out on the balcony. You will see whales, a lot of shorebirds. During inside passage cruise, we were surprised to see many unique log houses on the shore through binoculars, which were not visible to our naked eyes. Enjoy your trip.

It was my favorite pastime when we went to Alaska. I like to watch some of those now abandoned lighthouses or floats with binoculars as well.

we got an 8x42 so we can get a wider FOV. They are great glasses.

For an inexpensive binoculars, VISTA is excellent for around $100. We got two pairs for our cruise in 2008. But if you have the budget, their summit is definitely a major upgrade with slightly more money. It was rated as the Best buy by an outdoor magazine. They have a $35 off coupon for ordering a summit (ZRS), which is a great deal.

• 4 weeks later...
It was my favorite pastime when we went to Alaska. I like to watch some of those now abandoned lighthouses or floats with binoculars as well.

Is there a guide book covering light houses along the Alaska cruise route? My brother's kid is really into seeing and photographing the old light house along the coast. It seems to be a project for him during our South bound cruise this Aug.

Archived