Half-Price meals at NCL surcharge restaurants??

cruz style

I've heard of people getting coupons for 1/2 price meals at the nicer restaurants that charge surcharges.

Where do you get these?

I think NCL used to publish coupon books, and you could get them from NCL and/or from your travel agent..I don't know that they're available anymore.

On our recent Jewel cruise, in the Freestyle Daily, there were often opportunities to eat at the specialty restaurants, between 7:30 - 8:30 p.m., buy one/get one meal free, too. You'd have to be sure to make reservations, but that's how we ate at a couple of them.

NCL has coupon books you can get them thru your booking agent, the booklets they have now expire 12/31/08 and had one 2 for 1 coupon in it for the day you board. Out of a book of 18-20 coupons we only used 2-3 on a 19 day cruise, most are buy something and get a little off. We don't drink, gamble, internet or do the spa but if you do you can save some $.

They had the booklets a few years back when we did a cruise so now we ask every time we are looking for a cruise. Just watch the Freestyle Daily for the 2 for 1 dining, sometimes late meals and on port days.

Just got home last night from the DAWN. It was a 13 day cruise. 3-4 times during the trip they offred buy 1 get one free meal deals. Usually in the slower rest. But good deal anyway. I could still use the buy 5 meals get teh 6th free with these deals.:)

We just got our coupon book and have never had one before. Is there any restrictions on the use of the buy one get one first night meal? Such as, is it only available in certain restuarants? It doesn't say so, but I could swear someone said it's not good in Cagney's or the Teppenyaki.

Charlene

The 2 for 1 dinner coupon has to be used the day you board as you stated and it can be used at any specialty restaurant soon after you board go make your dinner reservations, in the book you will find a buy 2 drinks get 3rd free on the first day it can be used with the dinner one if you like. We did the Sept. 21, 2008 cruise on the Pearl and used the dinner coupon at Cagney's with no problems. The Teppenyaki only has a few seating times and seem to full up fast, very good food. Four tables with 8 seats per table. They have 2 for 1 deals during the cruise watch for them in the Freestyle Daily.

I just returned from the Dawn 13 day repo and when they offered the buy one and get one, it didn't apply to singles. In the past when they did the offer, singles would be charged half price. They have quit doing that now. I am very disappointed in this change.

I just returned from the Dawn 13 day repo and when they offered the buy one and get one, it didn't apply to singles. In the past when they did the offer, singles would be charged half price. They have quit doing that now. I am very disappointed in this change.

WOW --- pay basically TWICE the fare AND then not be able to get this benefit --- now, that's a real crock!! :mad: It's amazing that the cruise lines just don't begin to "get it."

Charlene

The 2 for 1 dinner coupon has to be used the day you board as you stated and it can be used at any specialty restaurant soon after you board go make your dinner reservations, in the book you will find a buy 2 drinks get 3rd free on the first day it can be used with the dinner one if you like. We did the Sept. 21, 2008 cruise on the Pearl and used the dinner coupon at Cagney's with no problems. The Teppenyaki only has a few seating times and seem to full up fast, very good food. Four tables with 8 seats per table. They have 2 for 1 deals during the cruise watch for them in the Freestyle Daily.

DDMau,

Thank you so much for this informative reply!

WOW --- pay basically TWICE the fare AND then not be able to get this benefit --- now, that's a real crock!! :mad: It's amazing that the cruise lines just don't begin to "get it."

Tell me about it. I was told this change happened with they implemented Freestyle 2.0. I was on the Dawn two weeks before 2.0 was done and they gave you half off. I was told that they have had a lot of complaints about it and are reviewing the policy.

on port days the bottom of the daily shows buy one get one free at Chin Chin's, Tango's, Mama's Italian & Le Bistro. So if you are balcony or better you get 48 hours early to book your meals. No coupon game with this, just read the botom of the daily since many didn't even see it.

I'm another solo cruiser who always pays double for my balcony cabins.

I'm on the Sun in Jan. and EXPECT to eat in the specialty restaurants at half price when the 2 for 1's are offered.

If that is not the case, this WILL be my last voyage on NCL.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

I'm another solo cruiser who always pays double for my balcony cabins.

I'm on the Sun in Jan. and EXPECT to eat in the specialty restaurants at half price when the 2 for 1's are offered.

If that is not the case, this WILL be my last voyage on NCL.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

I'm sorry you feel this way since it sounds like you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. To me, the problem is that NCL mistakenly honored the promotion as a 50% off deal when it was supposed to be a 2-for-1. If it's advertised as a 2-for-1, then NCL should have stuck to their guns and made sure that people understood the terms, but once they started honoring it as 50% off, what they should have done was change the name of the promotion. They didn't do that and now their new policy will alienate past cruisers who were mistakenly allowed to take advantage of the original offer. Of course, 2-for-1 doesn't help single diners, unless NCL is willing to offer a second specialty meal on a different night as the bonus.

Actually, when I was on my most recent NCL cruise in June and enjoyed the 1/2 price dinners several times, I thought NCL was finally "throwing a bone" to solo cruisers.

As I said before, I pay always pay double for a BA balcony cabin where I'm the only occupant and I certainly don't eat twice the amount of food as the average passenger.

Also, even though I pay double, I only receive a single credit toward any Latitude rewards.

I live in the middle of the country and can't take advantage of racking up cruises to nowhere or one night cruises to build up Latitude points.

I saw the 1/2 price dinners as a nice thing for NCL to do but if they are going to take that one little perk away from this solo cruiser, I will really be "urined-off".

To me, it's the principle.

Just my $0.02 and rant.

Jim

Archived