Agadir currency?

Anyone who has been to Agadir and gone ashore what did you do about money?

I would love to go to Marrakesh but think it's too far so we will do a short shopping trip if possible, will cards be useable or will we have to change money onboard?

I have been on many cruises and Agadir is the only place that I really hated. Unless you are really keen I would not bother. We had real trouble with our taxi driver who tried his hardest to keep us in his cab for a few hours, even showing us a book of satisfied passengers. It did get a bit scary. He eventually dropped us at the market which was nothing but beggars including mothers sending there children after you. I know it is quite sad but I felt it quite distressing. I have visited Tunisia many times and loved it but Agadir is a definite no no for me. Hope you have a better time than I did.

We used Euros - the traders are more than happy (and very keen) to deal in any currency - but don't forget to barter. We had some traders following us to the coach and still offering prices through the window of the bus!

You said you'd like to go to Marrakesh but said it was a bit too far - and you're right it is a long coach trip. Have you thought of doing the Taroundant (sp?) as a compromise? It's called 'little Marrakesh' and is about a 5/5.5 hour excursion (classed as a half-day trip). We felt it gave us a flavour of Morocco and was an interesting drive past the Atlas Mountains and you see the tree climbing goats too. There was a refreshment stop (sweet mint tea or freshly squashed orange juice) included and we thoroughly enjoyed it and given what the previous poster said about Agadir, you'd have the security of being with a oarty and having a guide with you. I hope you enjoy your trip :)

The shorter trip sounds good i think we will do that the "kids" are keen as haven't been before. My hubby and i stayed in Morrocco 20 years ago and loved it. The locals were persistant though, this time it will be my daughter they are interested in lol Her and our money:rolleyes:

The locals are very persistant, and will follow you around and try dragging you into shops. Currency is anything they can extract from you - euros or sterling. Bartering is essential, unless you want to be doubly fleeced.

Best to be in a large group for extra security.

Do not use credit/debit cards - I would not trust the locals not to clone them.

The goats are the best sight in this country, at least they don't try to extract money out of you.

Serously, the traders will take £, $ or E - they are very persistent (as already described!) so will not let you walk away if there's any chance they can make a sale! It would be a good idea to use your old currency here - and since the value of the $ has gone up so much (compared with Sterling :mad:) you should be able to barter even harder!

Archived