Chacchoben, Kohunlich or Dzibanche

welldone60

Seems most folks visit Chacchoben Maya Ruins. Who has been to Kohunlich or Dzibanche? I see Native Choice does tours to all 3. Chacchoben is closer, about an hour away. Kohunlich and Dzibanche are about a 2 hour drive. I was wondering if the longer trip was worth it?

The tours to the other locations with David and Ivan have a min # of people before they will go. The extra time on the road might be worth because of the limited # of people at the ruins but you'll be traveling almost 4hrs RT. Chacchobean is worth it and you will get back in plenty of time to investigate the town.

• 1 month later...

A bunch of us are planning on going to the Kohunlich Ruins in a few weeks, everyone else is really interested in visiting ruins except my husband and I.

We want to make sure we don't regret going to the ruins, rather than doing something else in Costa Maya. Would you think these ruins interesting to everyone? Even if you usually aren't really that interested in visiting ruins?

What is your take on Kohunlich?

Thanks.

Only been to Chaccobean and returned in plenty of time to visit the village before returning to the ship. Chaccobean is very interesting and the 1.5hrs give you plenty of time to see everything. If you go with David and Ivan ask them to stop at Pineapple Town so you can sample the sweetest pineapples you will ever eat and make sure they get the chili power which makes them taste even better. The other trips are 2-2.5hrs each way which makes for a very long day plus they need a min amount before they will go. We paid $50pp on our trip 3wks ago and had a great time with David.

• 1 month later...

We visited Kohunlich in the fall of 2006--we were delighted--Yes, it is a long round bus trip, however there is a nice visitor center (read "nice bathrooms") at the entrance to the park. (This was a great plus as I have learned to bring my own toilet paper while on tours in Mexico-especially on a bus).

I loved Kohunlich, even with the long bus ride, but I have been fascinated by the Mayan civilization since a child. We had a great guide and the site is large, with a ball court and some buildings. There is also a pyramid with masks that was featured on the front cover of National Geographic around 2006. Archeologists were working at the structure the day we visited. We were allowed to ascend the pyramid and to enter some of the standing structures.

The people that discovered the ruins of Kohunlich early in the 20th century, marked the place by digging up huge trees and then burying them upside down to clearly mark the spot. You can still see some of them. Surprise your guide.

It does involve a bit of walking as the site is large, and we found that an umbrella was helpful as we experienced showers off and on during the visit.

On the way back, our tour included lunch at a local Mayan family home. They had just started serving lunch to visitors from the cruise ships. It was delicious. Their home was on the shore of the bay. A beautiful, restful area to stop. Our group was their first visitors, so perhaps they have changed a few things since then. Have a tip ready for the lady who keeps the restrooms spotless.

We enjoyed the tour to Kohunlich and we plan to take the same tour again next month.

The people that discovered the ruins of Kohunlich early in the 20th century, marked the place by digging up huge trees and then burying them upside down to clearly mark the spot.

That is what I call not messing around. Lot of folks would have just put up a sign.

Nice review. Putting Kohunlich on my bucket list.

Archived