Mexican Cuisine Cooking & Tasting Excursion in Cozumel

Diggie

I will be on Carnival Valor in April and was thinking about taking this excursion on and wanted to know if anyone knew the cost? I also saw another cooking class at Mr. Sancho’s for $45.00, but transportation was not included and wanted to know what the difference was between the two? Also, with the Carnival excursion, what time did it start and how long was the cooking portion? I’ll be in Cozumel from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and want to have enough time to shop and the class at Mr. Sancho’s doesn’t start until noon.

Thanks!

:D

I will be on Carnival Valor in April and was thinking about taking this excursion on and wanted to know if anyone knew the cost? I also saw another cooking class at Mr. Sancho’s for $45.00, but transportation was not included and wanted to know what the difference was between the two? Also, with the Carnival excursion, what time did it start and how long was the cooking portion? I’ll be in Cozumel from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and want to have enough time to shop and the class at Mr. Sancho’s doesn’t start until noon.

Thanks!

:D

Here is a link to a thread were somepeople have done this. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848066&page=4

I'm not sure of the times or anything, but we always go to Playa Mia Beach when we are in Cozumel. They have one of the cooking classes there. I always hear everyone laughing & they seem to be having a really good time. I'm sure you have fun doing this.:D

I did the cooking excursion at Playa Mia in July and really loved it. There is a link to the pictures in my signature.

I have booked the Mr. Sancho's excursion for December. Thought it would be nice to try something different and save a little money. The ship's excursion is $89 per person and Mrs. Sancho's is half that. From what I've read, there isn't as much alcohol and transportation isn't included in the Mr. Sancho's tour. I'm willing to try it. I'll post a review when I get back.

Here's a comparison of the three known cooking classes on the second page here.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=879024

My only personal experience is with Josephina's Cooking With Love. It is downtown so very close to shopping and classes normally begin at 11:00. Prices run around $60 I believe depending on your menu selection and if it is a private class.

Taxi fares are going up on Monday, December 1st. Expect at least a 22-25% increase as this is the first official increase in almost seven years. It will significantly add to the cost of some of the more distant locations. I will try to post the new rates on Monday once the official rates are confirmed.

We just got back from the cruise (Carnival-Legend) and the cooking class at Playa Mia was the best excursion I've ever done!!!

Louis and Moises were the best and the drinks never stopped flowing. In between sips, you really learn a lot about presentation and plating which I found especially interesting.

The recipes were easy to follow and (the best part) tasted great!

The beach facilities there were also very nice and my only negative mark goes for having to pay to rent snorkel gear. Other then that A+'s across the board.

Loved this excursion- On RC I think it was $89, and the tour was 12-5 or 5:30 I think. They met us at the pier and sent us in a van to Playa Mia Beach. The morning class was not out yet, but we could eat and drink at the buffet that was set out for the beach folks while we were waiting. The class was great. There were 10 people that day, I think max is 16 due to space. You cook, drink, cook, drink, eat, drink, take photos, drink, and have a blast. Then after, you are free to play at Playa Mia until you are ready to leave, then they will put you in another taxi or van back to the ship.

There are several shops at the beach complex, so you can do some basic shopping- crafts, silver, pottery, junk, etc.

We got back in time to drop some more cash and have more beer in the cruise terminal shopping plaza before we boarded.

IN the morning we had taken a taxi to the shopping area in Cozumel (prices clearly marked on the boards near taxi stands, just know where you want to go, and they will probably drop you off in front of some store that you don't want to go to...), but the shops were barely opening up as we arrived. We aren't huge shoppers so we just went to the Los Cincos Soles store and got everything there. Much more convenient for us than that haggling, looking at 42 different carts with the same stuff. One-stop shopping! We had time to take a cab back to the ship, drop off the purchases then make the cooking class.

This was a great excursion! :D

I have never taken that tour, but from what I heard from the shorex manager, the best cuisine tour is the one offered at playa mia beach club. Apparently they build a great facility just for this tour and they are the only ones that have this done professionally on the island. The other cooking tours came afterwards and are supposed to be somewhat improvised.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Loved this excursion- On RC I think it was $89, and the tour was 12-5 or 5:30 I think. They met us at the pier and sent us in a van to Playa Mia Beach. The morning class was not out yet, but we could eat and drink at the buffet that was set out for the beach folks while we were waiting. The class was great. There were 10 people that day, I think max is 16 due to space. You cook, drink, cook, drink, eat, drink, take photos, drink, and have a blast. Then after, you are free to play at Playa Mia until you are ready to leave, then they will put you in another taxi or van back to the ship.

There are several shops at the beach complex, so you can do some basic shopping- crafts, silver, pottery, junk, etc.

We got back in time to drop some more cash and have more beer in the cruise terminal shopping plaza before we boarded.

IN the morning we had taken a taxi to the shopping area in Cozumel (prices clearly marked on the boards near taxi stands, just know where you want to go, and they will probably drop you off in front of some store that you don't want to go to...), but the shops were barely opening up as we arrived. We aren't huge shoppers so we just went to the Los Cincos Soles store and got everything there. Much more convenient for us than that haggling, looking at 42 different carts with the same stuff. One-stop shopping! We had time to take a cab back to the ship, drop off the purchases then make the cooking class.

This was a great excursion! :D

can you tell me what time you got to port and had to get back to the ship to depart? We are in Coz and want to do the exact same thing you did (cooking and have to get to LCS for vanilla). I'm worried we won't have time for both!

Please let me know how the class was at Mr. Sancho's when you come back. I also heard taxi's were going up as well.

Thanks!

My daughter and I really enjoyed the cooking class at Mr. Sancho's but it was very different than the one at Playa Mia. It was more serious and you did a lot of chopping!

The cab ride from Puerta Maya was $15. We arrived and were taken to the cooking area where we made our own margarita. Then we met the chef, his interpreter, and our waiter. Since it was just the 2 of us, we started right away. We did a lot of chopping, starting off with making Mexican rice, then beans, then a delicious beverage using jamaica leaves. We then moved on to the salsa fresca and guacamole. The chef then showed us the poblano chiles, but gave us pre-made chile rellenos. We plated our dishes and enjoyed eating them. We could have had another margarita but didn't. The food was delicious and the experience fun, but not as exciting as the playa mia excurison. I suggested to Carrie at tourcozumel that they provide you with a printed copy of the menu and recipes for you to take with you. I was also kind of sorry not to have made the main dish.

All in all, this cost us $60 per person (including the cab in each direction). I think if I were to do it again, I'd opt for Playa Mia. For about $20 more I think it's a lot more exciting.

If you click on the link in my signature to the pictures of the Destiny cruise, you'll see all our pictures.

• 5 months later...

I am taking a cruise through Carnival during the week of July 27-August 1, and Cozumel is one of the stops. I have been very interested in the Mexican cooking/tasting but every one I have found seems to have an 18+ age policy. Does anyone know of one that is different? Or is there a possibility of any of them making an exception for a 16 yr. old to participate? Also if anyone knew how they verify age on the excursions not through Carnival that would be great! Thanks.

Archived