skipping mykonos as scheduled????

cs1

I am considering the July 18 Oosterdam voyage which includes Mykonos. I did read in some reviews that the tendered stop was cancelled on the Noordam this past summer due to ocean conditions.

Does anyone have any insight? I would be very dissappointed if this stop were routinely skipped in favor of yet another sea day!

Thanks

CS

We were on Grand Princess in Oct and our Captain did abort the stop in Mykonos due to high winds (we were told this happens fairly often). He tried at about midnight, then again about 5 am, before deciding conditions were just too dangerous. There is no way to guarantee whether you will get ashore in Mykonos. I was disappointed, but had to settle for Santorini and Corfu. Luckily our ship had enough ports in Greece to not impact the overall cruise. We had beautiful weather the whole cruise (12 days), no rain and not much wind. The sea was not rough, so it came as a total surprise that we couldn't make the port. If you are going to cruise, you have to be willing to roll with the punches and not let deviations from the itinerary ruin your cruise. Just be sure you have enough ports that you are interested in, so that if one is cancelled you can still enjoy your cruise.

The Grand Princess had a great itinerary. We left from Civitavecchia, sailed to Monte Carlo, Livorno, Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Olympia, Corfu, and Venice. So we had four stops in Italy, five in Greece with Monte Carlo and Kusadasi Turkey thrown in, and the 12 days were very port intensive. We were originally scheduled just 1 at sea day, but with missing Mykonos, we did have 2 at sea days.

We were more upset by the lack of information for touring on your own. Shuttles were almost non-existent and if there was one, the times were not convenient for early departure from the ship. My friend and I cannot

walk alot, and stairs are really difficult for us, so unfortunately missed a lot of sights by not being able to walk to them. We did hire a taxi driver on our own in Naples to go to Sorrento and the day was great. Then we joined another couple from our CC roll call and shared a taxi in Athens. That was the most economical way to go, as the cost was only 55 EUR pp compared to Naples where it was 100 EUR pp for an 8 hour day. So if I were to go again, I'd definitely share tours with others on the CC roll call.

Have a great cruise!

I am considering the July 18 Oosterdam voyage which includes Mykonos. I did read in some reviews that the tendered stop was cancelled on the Noordam this past summer due to ocean conditions.

Does anyone have any insight? I would be very dissappointed if this stop were routinely skipped in favor of yet another sea day!

Thanks

CS

If my memory serves me correctly, last September we were docked and did not need to be tendered in. There was also a shuttle from the pier to the town. I was on the Zuiderdam. The Oosterdam has the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam did last summer.

Terri

On my Royal Caribbean cruise last year the port was missed but we headed to Athens (our next port stop) and docked there overnight so got the chance to see Athens in the evening which was great.

Frances

Archived