Grand-class ship movement

ttowners

Hi everyone,

I am going to be on the Grand Princess leaving Galveston Nov. 13. I have been looking at the weather forecasts (I work for the Nat'l Weather Service), and it looks like the seas could be in the 8-10 ft. range for the first couple of days. Does anyone know how the ship movement on the Grand will be in seas like this? Our cabin is just forward of mid-ship on the Baja deck.

Thanks. This board is great.

ttowners

8-10 foot seas shouldn't be bad at all. You will feel some movement but unless you are extremely sensitive to motion it shouldn't bother you at all. We were on the Star Princess, sister to the Grand Princess, on Aloha deck 10 cabins from the front of the ship and felt almost no motion during those sea conditions. The speed the ship is traveling with depend on how much you feel those seas - the faster it goes the more you feel it breaking the waves.

We had large waves/swells on our trip from LA to Mexico a few years ago and we were on the same deck/position as you.You might feel it a bit, but you will get use to it after the first day. Take some ginger or bonine if you are prone to sea sickness. I wore the sea bands the first night, took them off for bedtime and never needed them again.

We've been in about the same position on Dolphin deck in 20-ft seas. Movement wasn't too bad at all, unless you went all the way forward where it was quite noticeable. You might feel a little more roll since you are a little higher. 8-10 ft seas are quite common and not much of an issue for a vessel of this size.

We just left the Diamond, another Grand class ship for the Mexico Voyage. Seas varied between slight (around 4 feet) and rough (7-14 feet). We REALLY felt it, but enjoyed it quite a bit because we had the sense of being at sea. The hangers in our closet made quite the racket in the middle of the night in the roughest seas, and we lost balance in the halls, but we thought it was fun, never got sick, and never saw anyone sick.

Archived