Piano Bar - Live?

NashDB

On the last two cruises on RCI ships, the piano bar players have employed a laptop at the piano to play background instrumentals. This produced basically a recorded track that they played and sang along to. Is this common on RCI or other lines now? Since the tracks are recorded, it doesn't allow really for much interaction with the folks in the bar. IMHO it turns the piano bar entertainer into a human juke box. Other thoughts? I have noticed very few people are either listening or engaged in the singing, which is a shame.

Never know what will happen in the piano bar. The musicians all have their own equipment, styles, etc.

On our last cruise, (I play piano also), There was a piano in an area open to the atrium and I was enjoying the artists jazz interpretations of popular songs when the piano player from the ships band wandered in. He had been trained in classical music. I convinced them that they should cross train a bit and encouraged them to play a few duets. Only took them a couple of short tries to really get tuned up. Within a short time, the bar next to this area, the atrium and rail areas for three stories were crowded with listeners. You just never know. :cool:

Never know what will happen in the piano bar. The musicians all have their own equipment, styles, etc.

On our last cruise, (I play piano also), There was a piano in an area open to the atrium and I was enjoying the artists jazz interpretations of popular songs when the piano player from the ships band wandered in. He had been trained in classical music. I convinced them that they should cross train a bit and encouraged them to play a few duets. Only took them a couple of short tries to really get tuned up. Within a short time, the bar next to this area, the atrium and rail areas for three stories were crowded with listeners. You just never know. :cool:

Sounds like a great time...and one that couldn't have happened with the use of a computer to provide backup tracks!

each of the RC cruises that we have been on has had live piano much in the Schooner Bar or Boleros...there have been times during the day when the music isnt live but I would assume it would be difficult to get someone to play throughout the day w/out breaks:rolleyes:

Archived