How early do you start packing?

BroncosFan2010

LOL! My last cruise (left for YVR last Friday) DH and I packed the morning of...!!:eek::eek: I had an idea of what I wanted to bring, and much of it was fresh from the dry cleaner, so "no worries" everything went well and we got out with time to spare..

Oh, man! You are brave! I could never do that. It is all I can do to stop myself from getting out the suitcases and packing for my cruise next summer!

For our cruise in Dec I started packing last Dec. I have 4 suitcases already at my daughters for her to bring with them. I have our dress clothes set in the closet and ready to go into the suitcases and the toiletries are ready to pack. We are down to 74 days and I am probably on my 6th or 7th list off things to bring.

My husband would like to start packing now for our Christmas cruise. I on the other hand have always waited till the night before and then am up till 1 A.M. Well the last cruise we went on he convinced me (and I don't remember how he did that) to pack at least 2 days prior. It was so nice to not be up till 1 A.M. and just relax the night before. I had decided that I would do that again for this cruise. Well due to it being the holidays and lots to do, I will be packing 3 days prior to leaving.

I have told my husband that he can't put stuff in the packing room aka guest room till Dec. 5th. We'll see if we can actually stick to this.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I was the only one who has a packing list on an Excel spreadsheet! LOL!

I got used to having a packing list when I was in the military - it really does make things easier. It helps me figure out which items I have on hand and which items I need to purchase. It also helps to keep me from over-packing at the last minute. I put absolutely everything on my packing list. I don't start actually packing my suitcase until about a week out.

Have fun on your cruise!

I start making lists months before a cruise: clothing list, incidentals list, "Don't Forget to do" list, etc. The basic lists are on the computer so it's easy to add or subtract items.

Our next cruise is 7 months away, but is the first time my husband will be taking a CPAP on a cruise so I've already added CPAP, extension cord, power strip -- to the incidentals list.

It will be our first AK cruise so I've had to already add warm clothes to the clothing list and subtract the shorts, sandals, etc.

About two months before a cruise I figure out whether I'm going to have to request early refills for hubby's meds. He gets 3-months' worth at a time so I have to figure out the scheduling.

We have a hanging cosmetic bag that I make sure has all the necessary items about a month before a cruise. I also have a plastic set of drawers with cruise items in it that I check.

A couple weeks before the cruise I start piling clothes on the bed in the guestroom so they're easily accessible for packing. But I don't start the actual packing until 3 or 4 days before we leave home. I print out my lists and start checking off the items as they're packed.

Our carry-ons are the last 2 items packed: a change of clothes, extra underwear, meds, cameras, binoculars, jewelry, hat, jacket, novel.

By the day before our flight the packing is all finished, including passports, cash, housekey in my travel purse. I also put in copies of the packing lists so that if a suitcase is lost (never yet) I know exactly what was in it.

Usually start a week or so before the cruise. I decided to move my summer stuff to the cedar closet in the basement last week and get out my fall/winter clothes. So, I had to decide what I thought I would like to wear in December and again in February. All the shorts, swimsuits and shoes are packed! Dinner attire is in dry cleaning bags in one area of the closet, so all that's left are the last minute cosmetic type things.

My husband thinks I'm crazy (nothing new), but I will be so relieved when it only takes me an hour to pack this time. Especially since we'll be gone for 11 days in December. With 5 kids and a grand-daughter, Christmas is pretty busy so packing is one less thing to worry about. I am decorating in 2 weeks and have already started wrapping gifts. When we get home from the Dream, I want to relax and wait for Santa!

My husband and I drag out the bags maybe 3 days before we cruise. For our honeymoon cruise, we packed the morning of. For real. We were so tired from the wedding and just didn't have the time or focus to pack the week before. We set our alarm for like 4:30 the morning of our departure, woke up and were packed within an hour. We didn't forget a thing and we made our flight on time.

We start packing usually 2 wks. before the cruise but I've been tempted to start a month or more ahead. Reading all these threads keeps me going until then but by 2 wks it's time to get serious. :rolleyes:

Archived