Renting a car in MALAGA

I spent a week on the Costa del Sol and went to Alhambra, Rhonda, Malaga and other towns. I liked them all but I enjoyed Malaga and Rhonda the best. Alhambra is very crowded. Malaga is less touristy and more authentic. It has wonderful museams and its own castle. Walking around the streets of Malaga was also more enjoyable. As far as beauty, Rhonda was the prettiest with the prettiest ride. If I was to go back for a one day visit, I wound just stay in Malaga. I wouldn't rent a car. The roads are tricky and once you get into town, its hard to navigate. The signs on the higway are fine but getting around the towns can be difficult. The Spanish people do not give good directions. We spent so much time getting lost that we just laughed at it.

Take the train from Malaga, station is near the port, to Fuengirola, beach resort,at the foot hills to Mijas,there is a regular bus service to Mijas,or a taxi ,will take you there,approx 15-20 mins ride and no hassle.

That sounds like a great alternative. How much would a taxi to Mijas be from Fuengirola? And the train? Thanks so much. Karen

cost of a ticket is 1.8 - 2 euros, ask for a day return.

station is located Explanada de Estacion.

bus to Mijas is frequent & cheap ,same.

taxis ?

from the long exit from the port into Malaga,there is a Tourist info office.

Take the train from Malaga, station is near the port, to Fuengirola, beach resort,at the foot hills to Mijas,there is a regular bus service to Mijas,or a taxi ,will take you there,approx 15-20 mins ride and no hassle.

That sounds like a great alternative. How much would a taxi to Mijas be from Fuengirola? And the train? Thanks so much. Karen

check renfe time table, this year,trains every 1/2 hour

should say,we have spent many days @ Mijas,it is o.k.donkeys around town,

but Malaga city is a wonderfull place too,

maybe a train trip along the coast & return in time to enjoy the city

Just one more thought on renting a car. We did so from the NCL Gem in October 2007. When we got off the ship, we went through about 3 or 4 taxi drivers before we could find one that would take us on the short trip to the train station. Most taxi drivers wanted to book all day tours. Another couple from the ship happen to come upon us and they too wanted to go to the train station so we split a taxi.

We rented a car from Avis and (with a detailed map purchased from Barnes and Noble) headed through Malaga towards Marbella and then got off the freeway and went to Mijas and Ronda. After Ronda, we headed back through Malaga to Nerja.

When we rented the car, I figured it would be easy to return it to the train station. I assumed there would be signs. WRONG! We went through roundabout after roundabout and by total luck found the entrance to return the car. When we told the Avis employee about our misadventures in finding the station, he told us a GPS was only 9 Euro a day and could be programmed to return to the station! Gee, the price of 2 ice creams/gelatos could have saved us from having a whole lot of stress.

So, would I rent a car again? YES! But only with GPS! We managed to do 3 shore excursions (Mijas, Ronda & Nerja) in one day and loved it.

Have a wonderful trip!

Teresa

I have driven all over the Costa del Sol as well as to Sevilla, Granada, Ronda, Cordoba, Marbella and the touristic Mijas.

First.....it really depends on the time of year you are visiting. If you are there in the peak season June-August you will find heavy traffic and limited parking in many areas. The Costa del Sol is one of the most popular destinations for British vacationers.

The main highway from Malaga to Marbella, Ronda & Gibralter if I remember correctly was two lanes and you must use the roundabouts. Unlike USA expressways the return entrance may not be in the same location as where you got on the highway....or there might not even be a return entrance in that location. We were there for three weeks so getting lost for an hour or so was no big deal. One circle in Granada fed off to about 10 roads! A GPS is really a good idea.

We were there again last month and spent a great day walking around Malaga and there is plenty to see and do. Another thing you could consider is use a mapquest like Michelin and preprint a few destination points and print them out in advance. It will give you an idea of distances and how simple/confusing it might be driving. Use points of interest as addresses....hotels, restaurants that you can get from any guidebook. We were there in 2005 w/o a GPS and it really helped.:)

Marty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We rented from Avis at the train station. We had a brand new "Economy" car. You can actually walk to the train station, takes about 1/2 hour if I remember correctly. (Since we like to leave the ship as soon as it docks and the buses weren't available till later)

Be sure to have your International Drivers License. She insisted on it. Took the car to Nerja Caves, Europa Balcony and a FANTASTIC town, Frigiliiana. Be sure to spend some time in Malaga as well. It's was quite difficult to navigate when we were there because there was construction going on in that area. This was Nov 2007.

The fort in Malaga was interesting. The pedestrian walk to the square is fun too.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what makes Frigiliana fantastic? What is there to do in town? Thanks!

Archived