Taxi's at Xiangang Port

erc1

Does anyone know if Taxi's are available after debarking the ship at Xiangang port to get to Tianjin Railway Station? If so are they close to the ship debarkation point? How long do the authorities typically take to clear the ship for debarkation at this port? Thank you for the help.

ERC1

Does anyone know if Taxi's are available after debarking the ship at Xiangang port to get to Tianjin Railway Station? If so are they close to the ship debarkation point? How long do the authorities typically take to clear the ship for debarkation at this port? Thank you for the help.

ERC1

Have you been on a Chinese train? Do you have much luggage (like a large suitcase and normal size carryone)???

I would rethink the train if you have never been on a Chinese train and have more than a small carryon or backpack.

We took the "bullet" train from Beijing South railway station (it's new - more like an airport terminal) to Tanggu on November 6th, '08. The trip took 35 minutes, the German built ICE-3 trains were spotless, there was plenty of room for luggage at the end of every coach (my DW and I had 4 suitcases), the highest speed was just over 330 km/h, the ride was silky smooth and you get a bottle of water. If I remember correctly, the price was 70 CNY (10 USD) pp. but I'd have to check the tickets to make sure. Overall, it was a great experience and on par with any European Express train that I've been on.

We stayed at a hotel halfway between the Tanggu station and the cruise terminal and the taxi fares were 25 CNY (station to hotel) and 30 CNY (hotel to terminal). When we arrived at the terminal, there were taxis waiting at the gate for potential fares going the other way so I don't think finding one should be a problem.

We took the "bullet" train from Beijing South railway station (it's new - more like an airport terminal) to Tanggu on November 6th, '08. The trip took 35 minutes, the German built ICE-3 trains were spotless, there was plenty of room for luggage at the end of every coach (my DW and I had 4 suitcases), the highest speed was just over 330 km/h, the ride was silky smooth and you get a bottle of water. If I remember correctly, the price was 70 CNY (10 USD) pp. but I'd have to check the tickets to make sure. Overall, it was a great experience and on par with any European Express train that I've been on.

We stayed at a hotel halfway between the Tanggu station and the cruise terminal and the taxi fares were 25 CNY (station to hotel) and 30 CNY (hotel to terminal). When we arrived at the terminal, there were taxis waiting at the gate for potential fares going the other way so I don't think finding one should be a problem.

Thank you Bohemian. Is Tangu the same as Tianjin? When I look at the high speed train schedule it lists Tianjin and Tianjin West stations. How long do you think the ride from port to train station will take? Also do you know how long the ride from Beijing South Terminal to Beijing airport should be? We are scheduled to arrive in Xiangang port at 6:30am on February 14 and have a 1:40 flight from Beijing so thats why I'm trying to get the route squared away. Thnks for your help.

Thank you Bohemian. Is Tangu the same as Tianjin? When I look at the high speed train schedule it lists Tianjin and Tianjin West stations. How long do you think the ride from port to train station will take? Also do you know how long the ride from Beijing South Terminal to Beijing airport should be? We are scheduled to arrive in Xiangang port at 6:30am on February 14 and have a 1:40 flight from Beijing so thats why I'm trying to get the route squared away. Thnks for your help.

You are cutting it EXTREMELY close getting on your flight. Even though the ship arrives at 6:30AM, I would guess you won't get clearance to leave the ship until 7:30 or 8:00. Then between a taxi to the train + train, add 2 more hours (or more). Then at LEAST an hour to the airport (traffic is a nightmare and it is 40KM from the train station to the airport). It is now 11:00AM in the BEST case scenario. You will need to check in for your international flight 3 hours BEFORE the flight. So technically you are late.

Then you have MAKE sure you can get to the CORRECT station for the CORRECT train. Some of the trains end up at the Beijing South Station and some end up at the main Beijing (new) train terminal. Some of the trains take a couple of hours and then there is the new bullet train. Those are the "C trains. But you can only buy a ticket at the main train station, not the other two stations. One other hint-MAKE sure you book AT LEAST a first class ticket, unless you are on the new bullet train. Otherwise, you will be jammed in with everyone else and believe me, you will NOT have a pleasant experience. The Chinese (most of Asia except Japan) knows NOTHING about getting in line. They just push until they get where they are going.

Here is the train schedule and other port info. I wish you well, but you are going to have to really have your ducks in a row to make it to your flight on time. China is a nightmare from a land travel standpoint. I have cut my business travel to China by 1/2 for the last year just because of the hassle.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/search-result.asp

http://www.redflag.info/beijing/xingang-port.htm

You are cutting it EXTREMELY close getting on your flight. Even though the ship arrives at 6:30AM, I would guess you won't get clearance to leave the ship until 7:30 or 8:00. Then between a taxi to the train + train, add 2 more hours (or more). Then at LEAST an hour to the airport (traffic is a nightmare and it is 40KM from the train station to the airport). It is now 11:00AM in the BEST case scenario. You will need to check in for your international flight 3 hours BEFORE the flight. So technically you are late.

Then you have MAKE sure you can get to the CORRECT station for the CORRECT train. Some of the trains end up at the Beijing South Station and some end up at the main Beijing (new) train terminal. Some of the trains take a couple of hours and then there is the new bullet train. Those are the "C trains. But you can only buy a ticket at the main train station, not the other two stations. One other hint-MAKE sure you book AT LEAST a first class ticket, unless you are on the new bullet train. Otherwise, you will be jammed in with everyone else and believe me, you will NOT have a pleasant experience. The Chinese (most of Asia except Japan) knows NOTHING about getting in line. They just push until they get where they are going.

Here is the train schedule and other port info. I wish you well, but you are going to have to really have your ducks in a row to make it to your flight on time. China is a nightmare from a land travel standpoint. I have cut my business travel to China by 1/2 for the last year just because of the hassle.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/search-result.asp

http://www.redflag.info/beijing/xingang-port.htm

Thanks Greatam for your concern. The train schedules from Tianjin to Beijing south indicate the high speed train, which leaves about every 20 minutes, makes the trip in 30 minutes. The Taxi's from Port to Train Station in Tianjin and from Beijing South to the airport are the unknowns and I worry most about them. We have been to China before and I understand your reference to pushing and we would clearly go 1st class on the train which is only a $11.00 ticket. My other option is having a car & driver meet us at the port to go to the airport which I understand is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. This is perhaps preferable if we can be sure they'll show up. The redflag attachment you sent mentions this at a very affordable rate. Is this from a travel agency or other organization I could contact to investigate? I also plan to check before our cruise departs in Hong Kong about the car & driver option. Thanks for your help.

As tight as your schedule is and trying to travel at rush hour, I personally would feel much more comfortable with a car and driver. Bad taxi driver at either end of the train trip could be a disaster. And especially because you are trying to negotiate a very crowded corridor during rush hour.

I use ChinaHighlights for any specialty things I need in China-transport, translators, meeting rooms, etc. They have never let me down for anything I have asked for.

I use the office in Guillin. They have also started a toll free USA number (started for the Olympics)

800-2682918

(Toll Free in USA)

I THINK the US number is manned during Chinese hours.

You could certainly give them a call and ask if they could provide car and driver AND the price. And they now take PayPal. They used to require that you send/fax front and back of your credit card as well as your passport info page to book something with them.

• 4 weeks later...

We intend to take the train from Beijing to Tianjin pre-cruise. Can anyone tell me how much a taxi is likely to cost from the station to the cruise terminal. Secondly, is there any problem for a taxi entering the actual terminal? Do they need a special permit, and is this available on the spot or must it be organised beforehand?

Thanks.

We intend to take the train from Beijing to Tianjin pre-cruise. Can anyone tell me how much a taxi is likely to cost from the station to the cruise terminal. Secondly, is there any problem for a taxi entering the actual terminal? Do they need a special permit, and is this available on the spot or must it be organised beforehand?

Thanks.

As I already posted above, you can take the "bullet" train from the Beijing South station all the way to Tanggu, no need to get off at Tianjin. There are six daily trains that cover this trip and tickets (that include reserved seating) can be purchased a day in advance at the main train station in Beijing. From Tanggu station to the cruise terminal, the taxi should cost around 50 CNY. The taxi dropped us off right at the entrance to the terminal building. I think the driver had to pay 5 CNY at the gate which, of course, we paid him back. No special permit was needed.

Archived