bunch of Internet ??s, esp AOS, esp GS

astrohip

Will be on AOS in January, in a Grand Suite. One of the reasons we booked a GS was the small print said "internet jack". I read that to believe we had (free) internet, but from reading many posts here, I'm starting to think this does nothing more than give us access (not free).

Questions:

1) AOS: in the rooms (esp GS), jacks or wi-fi?

2) free, or same price as everyone/anywhere (which I believe is $35/100 mins)?

3) if both of us have laptops, can only one at a time use it?

4) Several posts have mentioned (in addition to the i'net fee) that RCCL charges $10/day for the cable. Can I simply bring a network cable and eliminate this fee? Same cable as used everywhere (RJ-45)?

Thanks! 20 days to go!

Stuart

Houston TX

AOS Jan 4 2009

No free internet available on any RCCL ship even in a GS.

If AOS still has CyberCabin available (RCCL has been eliminating it from some ships), that is the modem connection in your stateroom. For a flat fee you get unlimited internet access. This is the connection that runs about $10 per day. Bringing your own cord will not get you a free connection. This connection tends to be slow - similiar to dial up speeds. Only one computer can connect via CyberCabin.

There are wi-fi hotspots throughout the ship where you can use your own laptop. If your GS happens to be near one of those hotspots, then you might have wifi access in your stateroom, but most likely not. The cost for wifi access is $.55 per minute, but you can buy packages that drop it to around $.37 per minute.

Will be on AOS in January, in a Grand Suite. One of the reasons we booked a GS was the small print said "internet jack". I read that to believe we had (free) internet, but from reading many posts here, I'm starting to think this does nothing more than give us access (not free).

Questions:

1) AOS: in the rooms (esp GS), jacks or wi-fi?

4) Several posts have mentioned (in addition to the i'net fee) that RCCL charges $10/day for the cable. Can I simply bring a network cable and eliminate this fee? Same cable as used everywhere (RJ-45)?

Thanks! 20 days to go!

Stuart

Houston TX

AOS Jan 4 2009

As Wrona has said no free internet anywhere on the ship. Reports about CyberCabin have been that it has been discontinued. It was still available on the Jewel in Sept. but I don´t know about AOS. If it is still offered the cable you bring won´t work. For your question about both using it at the same time. If you go WiFi you could both set up an account and use it at the same time. I doubt you could log on at the same time with one account but don´t know for sure as never tried it. If you can get CyberCabin you won´t want to share the already low badwidth.

Thanks! 20 days to go!

You are not going to want to be surfing the net when you see how slow the connection is. It's fine for email though. You can save some money on internet minutes:

Set up your email account as a POP3 in Outllook or Outlook Express on your laptop. Then uncheck under Tools/Options "send and receive at startup" and "check for new messages..."

Sign onto your ship account with your laptop and make sure you are connected. (It will tell you how many minutes you have left.) Now click on Send/Receive in your email program. When it is done getting messages, disconnect from the interent -- it will tell you how many minutes you used.

Then read and reply to your messages and repeat the process. You will be amazed how few minutes you use a day when you aren't "burning" internet time while reading and writing messages.

Or just use internet cafe's in port if all you want to do is check email.

Cheers

That has to be a pain to locate interenet spots in each port and either wait for an open computer or haul your laptop there, when you can check and reply to messsages all week long for nothing if you use the coupon in your C & A booket. No need to be connected more than a minute or two a day if you use the system I suggested. And if you cabin is near the wifi hotspots you can do it in your PJ's!

Archived